FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 4, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #5,041 of 7,088
  Try the coax out of the FiiO to the coax in on the Marantz then the Marantz RCA out to your NuForce amp.  This by-passes the FiiO DAC just like the iPod input of the Marantz by-passes the iPod DAC.  Both DAPs are then only used as transports for you desktop rig.

YMMV,
r2

Great suggestion! I have a coax cable, but it's full size on both ends, will obtain one with full to mini. I have doubts if the Marantz will recognize the FiiO, as it didn't when I plugged it in via usb, but very worth a try. The Marantz is always connected to the NuForce, switching on the fly only when I got the FiiO. I could go nuts and get a high-end outboard DAC, but there's limits to my insanity. Oddly enough, the FiiO works quite well connected to my Oppo 105's USB, it sounds incredible (Oppo's amazing audio DACs!) but it's in my main system in a different part of the house -- and I'm not inclined to blow $1200 for a second all around genius BD player next to my bed just to accommodate the FiiO.

Will give your coax suggestion a shot, worth a try. Thanks much for the tip!

RH

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #5,042 of 7,088
I do not think the FiiO will work from USB except with a computer, Either computer sees a disk or it charges, it is not like a computer USB out.

FiiO should have the proper coax adapter cable in the box.

r2

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #5,043 of 7,088
  I do not think the FiiO will work from USB except with a computer, Either computer sees a disk or it charges, it is not like a computer USB out.

FiiO should have the proper coax adapter cable in the box.

r2

Gahh!! I forgot about the coax adapter cable in the box -- THANKS AGAIN!! I only got it last week and didn't bother with the other cables it came with.

Actually, as I mentioned in prev post, it worked from USB with the Oppo 105 -- it was seen as a USB storage device, same as a PC, displaying and playing all the music files I fed it via the Oppo's DACs. Only files the Oppo wouldn't play were some SACD .iso files due to copyright restrictions built into the firmware of most recent BD and similar players -- kinda like trying to record from HDMI. Which is why I want the FiiO to 'play nice' -- those DSD direct ISOs sound really really good -- no converting to PCM.

Will post my results as soon as I get home and play with it.

RH

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #5,044 of 7,088
Hello all! First-time poster, long-time lurker.:wink:

I recently bought an X5-ii. Tempted by all the hi-res files and formats (including SACD .iso) it can play along with dual SD card capacity of 200GB/each I couldn't resist. Unlike some, I find the interface very intuitive, simple and pretty slick!​

That said, here's my dilemma and how I got there: I have two iPod Classics loaded with Apple lossless files. They connect directly via USB to my Marantz SA-8004 SACD/CD player that feeds a NuForce Class A headphone amp. Cans are Sennheiser 600, AKG 701 & 702. Using (95% classical, 5% jazz) the iPod/Marantz/HP amp setup, it's audio nirvana through hours of night time listening. But the hassle of converting all my lossless files to Apple's MP4 format was a huge pain -- and I've maxed them both out (120 & 160GB).​

Listening to the FiiO line-out to my HP amp (the Marantz only recognizes Apple crapple) isn't as cushy as the prev setup. I hear some uncomfortable glare and a hot high end on all three HPs. I even did the burn-in ritual for a few days (just got it last week) and it's still the same.​

BUT, connecting my cans directly to the FiiO, many of the sonic issues went away; very instrument separation, airiness and pretty listenable...no audible clipping. I can't believe the DAC in the X5-ii (same Cirrus DAC as in the Marantz btw) is implemented better. And that the compact portable amp can drive all 3 cans better than my amp. Anyone use an X5/X3 (i or ii) with external amp or running good mid-fi on-ear headphones directly?​

Thinking about returning the FiiO but waiting to see if I can adapt.​
:triportsad:  

The X5ii uses the TI PCM1792A DAC not the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC as in the X3ii. :wink_face:

The DAC is very well implemented and the headphone amp is also very clean and well implemented and no real need to hook up an external amp unless wanting to drive difficult headphones, or to add a sonic flavour. If you install the latest firmware you can use the variable line-out function to reduce the voltage from the line-out. This might help to determine if the line-out from the x5ii is too 'hot' for the Marantz.

Also keep in mind that using the coaxial output (the only way to get a digital signal from the X5ii) you will essentially bypass all the sonic hardware in the device and just send a bitstream signal for the external hardware to process the sound.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #5,045 of 7,088
well after the disaster of my buying a DX90 and killing it i a week i bought an X5 to replace it and it seems maybe it was fate steering me in the right direction, even if it was an expensive mistake. i dont know why but i was slightly dubious of it before it came, but when it arrived this afternoon i was utterly blown away, i genuinely feel like its managing to squeeze every ounce of possible quality from my ER4s. even compared to the ibasso its absolutely stunning, not as harsh at the high end, more detail in the mids and something i just cant put my finger on with the bass so lets just say its better, why i didnt just get it in the first place ill never know but i think im in love with this awesome little device. ive yet to test it out in DAC mode on the big rig (NAD amp and Dali Ikons) but im actually expecting some nice results at this point

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #5,047 of 7,088
The X5ii uses the TI PCM1792A DAC not the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC as in the X3ii.
wink_face.gif

The DAC is very well implemented and the headphone amp is also very clean and well implemented and no real need to hook up an external amp unless wanting to drive difficult headphones, or to add a sonic flavour. If you install the latest firmware you can use the variable line-out function to reduce the voltage from the line-out. This might help to determine if the line-out from the x5ii is too 'hot' for the Marantz.

Also keep in mind that using the coaxial output (the only way to get a digital signal from the X5ii) you will essentially bypass all the sonic hardware in the device and just send a bitstream signal for the external hardware to process the sound.

You're correct; the x3 (which I had briefly before returning it for the x5) has the Cirrus DAC. I assumed, without checking, the x5 also did.

Well, it may be 'too hot' for the Nuforce HA-200 Class A amp (not the Marantz cd/sacd player), which is perfect for driving Senn HD-800s and other hard-to-drive cans. It doesn't make sense to me, especially with the tweaks in the 1.27 beta firmware regarding DAC filter options, replay gain, etc. Unfortunately, the FiiO isn't recognized by the Marantz via coax input. I had hopes it would, as the its DAC is audibly superior to the x5-ii. But the more I listen to the AKG 702s and Senn HD600s connected directly to the FiiO, the better it's sounding. Am I adjusting? The magical 'burn-in' effect? Whatever; but the x5 is a hard DAP to dislike -- so much going for it.

I tried to do a terribly unscientific A/B comparison between iPod Classic>Marantz>NuForce and headphone-out of the FiiO, listening to 5-10 minutes of the same passage of a string quartet on both units; there's no doubt in my mind the former setup is better in terms of overall dynamics and spacial definition, but I can live with the x5. My only option if I want a better listening experience is to buy a top-notch DAC, which would make it close to perfection. But time -- and budget--  will tell.
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks again for the advice, looking forward to next f/w release...probably the stable version of 1.27 or beyond.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #5,048 of 7,088
Hi to all

I have had my X5ii for a week or so now & enjoying it very much but it shipped with a clear plastic case rather than the silicone one. I bought the Fiio stacking kit but it does not fit when the player is in the Fiio case that came with the player (bit of an oversight by FiiO there I would say) Also the stacking kit doesnt fit with the offical FiiO faux leather brown case either. I'm stacking with my Mojo & the kit works quite well but would prefer both in some kind of protection when stacked. Is it possible to get the silicone case from anywhere? I contacted FiiO but they advised that they stopped shipping them as they had too many complaints that they were too smelly! Thanks in advance for any help. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #5,049 of 7,088
Hi mrback,

FWIW, the silicone case wouldn't have fitted with the stacking kit or leather case either...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 6, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #5,050 of 7,088
The only way the stacking kit works is without any case... back protected by the amp with stackup~

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #5,051 of 7,088
Hi to all

I have had my X5ii for a week or so now & enjoying it very much but it shipped with a clear plastic case rather than the silicone one. I bought the Fiio stacking kit but it does not fit when the player is in the Fiio case that came with the player (bit of an oversight by FiiO there I would say) Also the stacking kit doesnt fit with the offical FiiO faux leather brown case either. I'm stacking with my Mojo & the kit works quite well but would prefer both in some kind of protection when stacked. Is it possible to get the silicone case from anywhere? I contacted FiiO but they advised that they stopped shipping them as they had too many complaints that they were too smelly! Thanks in advance for any help. 

The silicon case is now Unobtainium. One of the biggest mistakes I feel FiiO made was discontinuing the silicone case. Nobody has them in stock, anywhere.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #5,053 of 7,088
Hi All

Can anyone suggest a quality cable to go between my soon to arrive X5ii and a E12A? I have a Forza Audioworks I/C but it has "L" shaped connectors and I want "Straight Out" I/C.

My budget is up to £50 and I'm in the UK.

Regards

Darren

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #5,054 of 7,088
Hi All

Can anyone suggest a quality cable to go between my soon to arrive X5ii and a E12A? I have a Forza Audioworks I/C but it has "L" shaped connectors and I want "Straight Out" I/C.

My budget is up to £50 and I'm in the UK.

Regards

Darren

The FiiO L16 is actually very good, and reasonably priced as well. I use it and have had zero complaints.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-L16-3-5mm-plug-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B00L42H29K/ref=sr_1_1/279-5284941-6874061?ie=UTF8&qid=1459938672&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+l16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back