FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 13, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #4,156 of 7,088
  Hi

Bought a X3ii to use primarily on the beach, as I live in Jersey. Totally and I mean totally unreadable. Tried to shield the screen with my hands, but with no success. My iPod Classic 160GB it replaced was fine. A portable player that you can't use outdoors in the sun. Really! Not fit for purpose I'd say.

Have subsequently bought a X5ii on the advice of various forum members, but haven't had a chance to test it.

What I do know is I can't get it to work in DAC mode on Windows 10. Wish I'd gone for an Ibasso or something similar! Anyone want to buy a two month old X5ii for £220? Seriously, I want shot of it. Astell and Kern JR here I come.

Regards

Darren

You must disable driver signature verification in windows 10. 

It is partly windows' fault for enforcing that, I wouldn't blame fiio for it. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #4,157 of 7,088
Done all that. 

Had about 5 messages from FiiO on their site. They told me to uninstall the driver and re-install. I'm not docile. Tried all that before I asked the question on their website's thread. A yellow triangle appears in device manager, so I think my unit might be faulty. FiiO to me to contact the online retailer I bought it from 6 weeks ago. I've had this before with other items and they usually just tell you to go to the manufacturer.

Meanwhile, I'm getting nowhere!

Why can't they get their drivers verified. Never had to disable anything to install drivers in 20 plus years of using pc's!

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #4,158 of 7,088
  Done all that. 

Had about 5 messages from FiiO on their site. They told me to uninstall the driver and re-install. I'm not docile. Tried all that before I asked the question on their website's thread. A yellow triangle appears in device manager, so I think my unit might be faulty. FiiO to me to contact the online retailer I bought it from 6 weeks ago. I've had this before with other items and they usually just tell you to go to the manufacturer.

Meanwhile, I'm getting nowhere!

Why can't they get their drivers verified. Never had to disable anything to install drivers in 20 plus years of using pc's!

Actually, before windows 8, there was no driver signature verification. 

I have no ideea why they do this. 

Well, considering your problem, the installation software should had stopped the installation before getting a problem, so the most I can say is that you should take your X5II to the place you bought, and see if they can repair or change it. And a little side-note, ask Fiio support for approval of change ( if the store you bought from should change it on spot) and depending on Fiio's relationship with the store (if it is a direct importer) you might have it changed on spot. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #4,159 of 7,088
Thanks for the advice. I live in Jersey, and the online retailer is in the UK, so I can't just pop in unfortunatly.

Have already asked Fiio to have a word with them as part of a previous post on their website's thread. Received a response to other questions in the post, but nothing regarding helping me exchange the unit.

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #4,160 of 7,088
Steve Hoffman forums are a great place for critical reviews of new and remastered recordings.

Nice but kind of a time commitment to read through forums. Would be brilliant if there was a dedicated/sorted list of reviews by Artist/Album/Release.

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #4,161 of 7,088
  You must disable driver signature verification in windows 10. 

It is partly windows' fault for enforcing that, I wouldn't blame fiio for it. 

Well ... You can sort of blame FIIO.  Current Version of Thesycon driver is 3.23 and fully Win10 compliant but only Ver 1.61.0 is available from FIIO.  This is due to the licensing fees that FIIO has to pay Thesycon :frowning2:

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #4,162 of 7,088
Hi everyone, I'm currently using Shozy Alien + UM 50 Pro, I'm tired of the Shozy Alien because it has no screen. I've been looking for a new player, is X5 2nd gen a good choice? I only listen WAV format, is X5 easy to import songs and organize? I hate spending a lot of time to organize songs, thanks for the help, have a great day everyone :)

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #4,163 of 7,088
  Hi everyone, I'm currently using Shozy Alien + UM 50 Pro, I'm tired of the Shozy Alien because it has no screen. I've been looking for a new player, is X5 2nd gen a good choice? I only listen WAV format, is X5 easy to import songs and organize? I hate spending a lot of time to organize songs, thanks for the help, have a great day everyone :)

Unfortunately you will likely have to organize your songs if you want to use the X5ii optimally. Most people here use the folder browsing mode, because the default method of organization in the "play by category" mode is a little bit unconventional. Although it may be a hassle to go and alphabetize your library/rename folders, I would say that it is definitely worth it. Once you do get your library organized, the X5ii is really a great DAP to use with nice IEMs like you have. I'm sure that you'll be impressed with the sound.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #4,164 of 7,088
Hi

I'd get something else, say an Astell & Kern JR that can be used as an external DAC on your PC. Then you can put all your CD's on your PC with pretty much no size limit on your collection.

Unfortunately, many people including myself have been unable to do this on the X5ii because of the outdated drivers you have to install not being compatible with Windows 10. Many people are also reporting problems with Windows 8 and 8.1. There is a thread on FiiO's website, but it doesn't seem to be helping anyone.

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39964&page=1&extra=#pid105428

Regards

Darren

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #4,165 of 7,088

I think that you should be totally pleased with an X5II. Alien is a great thing when it comes to SQ, from what I read, but the lack of a screen would make it pretty pretty much an audiophile ipod shuffle. 

I had seen that you also asked this question in X5 thread, so i will answer it here too. To have cover art, you use something free like irfanview to downsize the covers to max 500X500, then you simply name the file cover. jpg and put it inside the album folder. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #4,166 of 7,088
  Hi

I'd get something else, say an Astell & Kern JR that can be used as an external DAC on your PC. Then you can put all your CD's on your PC with pretty much no size limit on your collection.

Unfortunately, many people including myself have been unable to do this on the X5ii because of the outdated drivers you have to install not being compatible with Windows 10. Many people are also reporting problems with Windows 8 and 8.1. There is a thread on FiiO's website, but it doesn't seem to be helping anyone.

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39964&page=1&extra=#pid105428

Regards

Darren

Darren - the driver is compatible with Windows 10 - I just tried it.

• Downloaded the driver from this page (link in lower right) - http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/34
  • Disabled Windows 10 driver signing:
    * Shift restart
    * Choose Troubleshoot
    * Choose Advanced
    * Choose Start-up Settings
    * Choose restart

When PC restarts you get a screen asking for input on which start-up function to change.  Choose "7" disable driver signature enforcement

PC boots into Windows.
  • Make sure X5ii is connected by the USB cable that came with it, USB mode set to DAC, and unit is switched on.
  • Install the drivers from the zip file you downloaded
    DAC mode will start on completion of driver install
  • Right click sound icon in taskbar, choose Fiio X5ii as default device

It works fine.

Should Fiio sign their drivers to avoid this hassle - YES.  But once you're installed there should be no hiccups.  You only have to do it once.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #4,167 of 7,088
I have an x1, however I am liking the idea of a dual micro sd player at this stage tossing up between the x5 v the ibasso dx80? Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #4,168 of 7,088
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that many times. I can "See" the X5ii in storage mode, but in DAC mode during the driver installation it says there is no device connected. I just get a yello triangle in the device manager.

Regards

Darren

EDIT:

Just tried it again and followed your instruction to the letter. Same outcome!

Quote:

Darren - the driver is compatible with Windows 10 - I just tried it.

• Downloaded the driver from this page (link in lower right) - http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/34
  • Disabled Windows 10 driver signing:
    * Shift restart
    * Choose Troubleshoot
    * Choose Advanced
    * Choose Start-up Settings
    * Choose restart

When PC restarts you get a screen asking for input on which start-up function to change.  Choose "7" disable driver signature enforcement

PC boots into Windows.
  • Make sure X5ii is connected by the USB cable that came with it, USB mode set to DAC, and unit is switched on.
  • Install the drivers from the zip file you downloaded
    DAC mode will start on completion of driver install
  • Right click sound icon in taskbar, choose Fiio X5ii as default device

It works fine.

Should Fiio sign their drivers to avoid this hassle - YES.  But once you're installed there should be no hiccups.  You only have to do it once.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #4,169 of 7,088
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that many times. I can "See" the X5ii in storage mode, but in DAC mode I just get a yello triangle in the device manager.

Regards

Darren

Don't know what to tell you - other than that it does work on my machine.  Windows 10, 64 bit.  I installed it about 20 minutes ago - and it works flawlessly.  Is there another (audio) driver installed that could be causing issues? What I can say to you is that it's more likely to be an issue with something clashing on your machine - rather than saying the Fiio X5ii can't be used as a DAC on Win 10 (it clearly can).

Otherwise, suggest you PM Joe Bloggs - and see if someone from Fiio can help you troubleshoot.  Don't give up hope though - the driver and Windows definitely work together.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #4,170 of 7,088
Been communicating with FiiO on their site. They must think I'm docile, as they just tell me to follow their instructions at the top of the thread they started regarding people having problems with their outdated drivers on Windows 8/8.1. The drivers on their site are 1.6. the new ones are version 3 point something.

In the end they just told me to send the X5ii back to the online retailer I purchased it from! Don't see why I should be without my X5ii for weeks seeing it is only 6 weeks old.

I have iFi audio drivers installed but uninstalled them during my troubleshooting. My OS is Windows 10 64bit as well. Never had any problems with any other USB device.

I used to have an X3ii but sold it to purchase the X5ii, as the screen wasn't readable in the sun. I live in Jersey, so only use my portable item on the beach. So the X3ii wasn't fit for purpose! My iPOD Classic worked fine in the sun.

Am going to sell my X5ii and E12A and buy something that actually works. Looking at Astell and Kern. I know they are more expensive, but what's the point of having my X5ii if it doesn't do what it is advertised to do.

I have also tried installing the X5ii on two other Windows 10 PC's I have. Exactly the same outcome, so I think we can rule out an individual PC issue.

Regards

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back