FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 15, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #4,171 of 7,088
Trying to help mate - so let's take it slow.  I also have an iDSD - great piece of kit 
wink.gif

• I take it you're definitely using the USB cable that came with the X5ii.  I've had issues before where it isn't recognised because I've been using the wrong cable.

• Can you go into Control Panel and double check that there are no other HD Audio drivers installed (previous T-USB driver etc)

• When I plug the Fiio X5ii in (before the drivers are installed), it basically shows up in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers as a "Fiio USB Audio Class 2.0 DAC", but with no drivers loaded, and in Device Manager as a USB Composite Device with the yellow triangle.  When I plug it, the USB DAC graphic flashes on the Fiio for a split second then disappears.

• Loading the driver is as simple as following the steps I outlined above - but:
    [a] Have you tried redownloading the zip file and re-extracting
    After you've disabled the driver signing, what error do you get when installing?  You should get two warning dialogues about the drivers being unsigned, but just click on the install anyway option.  Does the driver installation actually complete?

I have also tried installing the X5ii on two other Windows 10 PC's I have. Exactly the same outcome, so I think we can rule out an individual PC issue.

Unfortunately with the success I've had - it probably points to something you may not be doing correctly with the install.  Otherwise I should be having the same problems. I'm sure if we take it step by step, we can figure it out.

If you've already made up your mind to switch to another device though - just let me know, and we can drop it so you can move on 
smile.gif

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #4,172 of 7,088
Hi

Thanks for all your help.

Just ran troubleshooting in windows and it's working! I have done it many times before so I don't know why it worked this time. I've been using PC's for well over 20 years so did exhaustive testing/troubleshooting before I went on FiiO's site and here. But it's working know. Not as good as my iDSD, iUSB and iCan though.
wink.gif

Regards

Darren

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #4,174 of 7,088
Just want to post saying thanks to Brooko for helping with such detailed responses. (I'd give a rep Brooko but I'm over my limit today, lol)

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #4,176 of 7,088
Hi guys,

Got my FiiO X5ii yesterday. Best DAP on the planet. :)

Quick question: should I update the firmware, which one do you suggest I go for and what would be the benefit?

Looking at the system settings, it says it has X5II FW1.1

Also, can you recommend some cool themes for it?

Lastly, I can hear two clicks when I turn the player on and off, is that normal?

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4,177 of 7,088
  Hi guys,

Quick question: should I update the firmware, which one do you suggest I go for and what would be the benefit?

Lastly, I can hear two clicks when I turn the player on and off, is that normal?

It is normal to hear clicks, themes, it is your choice, and fw1.1 is the latest stable, but the newest beta makes things even better with the wheel. 
Just want to post saying thanks to @Brooko for helping with such detailed responses. (I'd give a rep Brooko but I'm over my limit today, lol)

Totally! 

Thanks, @Brooko for all the effort put into making this short tutorial!

Hi

Now I've got it working, does anyone know of a high quality USB cable I could replace the stock one with?

Regards

Darren

I found the stock cable to be very high quality and audiophile, I think that you should get the least improvement by changing cables.

iUsb or something from ifi them has usb cables that might shed a light on this? if you own lots of their products, you might already have cables to try, but I think that the stock cable is amazing quality. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4,178 of 7,088
  Hi guys,

It's amazing the difference in the accuracy of the wheel with fw 1.11 beta vs. 1.1. It's so much more accurate with 1.11 and I agree it is a great player..maybe the best at this price point.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #4,179 of 7,088
Well I don't mean to complain or be controversial. My ear may be lacking, but I have spent quite a few weeks now comparing my X5ii to my Samsung phone. I can hear much better instrument separation and clarity on my phone while using the same headphones. The instruments seem very much so in the background and vocals upfront on the X5ii while the phone seems to have more balance between the two. I can hear far greater instrument detail on the phone. 
I thinking I may sell the  Fiio.  I have no use for it if it APPEARS to sound inferior to my phone.
I really want the Fiio to be better and I know it is/should be due the specs. 
I guess my ear is just messed up.
Thanks.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #4,180 of 7,088
  Well I don't mean to complain or be controversial. My ear may be lacking, but I have spent quite a few weeks now comparing my X5ii to my Samsung phone. I can hear much better instrument separation and clarity on my phone while using the same headphones. The instruments seem very much so in the background and vocals upfront on the X5ii while the phone seems to have more balance between the two. I can hear far greater instrument detail on the phone. 
I thinking I may sell the  Fiio.  I have no use for it if it APPEARS to sound inferior to my phone.
Thanks.

What headphones/IEM's are you using? It may be that you simply prefer the sound of your phone, and if that's the case then you should stick with using the phone. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, it's your music and it needs to please you. 

My oldest son has one of the new Motorolla Moto X Pure Edition phones and was certain that it was more than good enough to be used as his portable source. On top of that he doesn't want to carry two devices, a week ago he came by and compared the same few songs (his music not mine) on his phone and then on the FiiO X5 II...he stood there just shaking his head. He now realizes that the X5 II sounds much better (to him) but still hates the idea of carrying two devices. What he ended up doing was ordering a pair multiple armature driver IEM's to replace the single driver model he was using. He's now stunned how much everything sounds on his phone...we'll have to wait and see if he gets the itch to upgrade his source. Everyone is different and has different priorities, he may decide to stay with the phone, that he releases doesn't sound nearly as good as the X5 II for convenience sake. I imagine he won't ask to hear his new IEM's with the X5 II the next time he's over...and that's okay. Just like it's okay that you prefer your phone to the X5 II...it's the music and your preferences that matters.

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #4,181 of 7,088
Thanks.

Maybe you do not like the soundstage of X5II. 

From what you describe, you seem to be getting a rather large soundstage, and this seems to be against what you wished for. 

What headphone exactly are you powering?

I think I heared once a samsung smartphone, and it sounded rather dull, dynamically compressed, everything had the same volume, without differences between instruments, and the soundstage was almost in-existent. But this, with either cheaper headphones or particular types of music could bring the background instruments forwards, and sounds that are in the background would be in the foreground, everything in one place. 

Of course you would hear every instrument better this way, and if this is how you like it better, all the better, you can only carry a single device
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #4,182 of 7,088
  Maybe you do not like the soundstage of X5II. 

From what you describe, you seem to be getting a rather large soundstage, and this seems to be against what you wished for. 

What headphone exactly are you powering?

I think I heared once a samsung smartphone, and it sounded rather dull, dynamically compressed, everything had the same volume, without differences between instruments, and the soundstage was almost in-existent. But this, with either cheaper headphones or particular types of music could bring the background instruments forwards, and sounds that are in the background would be in the foreground, everything in one place. 

Of course you would hear every instrument better this way, and if this is how you like it better, all the better, you can only carry a single device
biggrin.gif

I am using IM02 and ATH M50. I am a musician and I can hear the detail of the instruments when using the phone. I cannot hear the same level of detail with the X5ii. I am not an audiophile but obviously love music. I want lots of detail in music when listening and it is not there with the X5ii. In other aspects it may be superior but in detail it is lacking for me. The phone has Flac files the X5ii has WAV files. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #4,183 of 7,088
I did a lot of research before choosing a brand and model of dap. I thought this sound comparison would not even be on the table. A dap should outclass a phone or ipod etc in all areas and cases.
It may be superior in some areas but I have learned it is not night and day superiority as I thought it would/should be.
Friends(musicians)and family have done comparisons as well. 
Maybe just not developed ears but it should not require a developed ear to hear the differences.
thanks

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #4,184 of 7,088
Phones are getting a lot better. When FiiO started coming out with these DAPs, a lot of phones had very poor audio quality. The target market for these DAPs was essentially China, where good smart phones are horrendously expensive relative to peoples' earnings, so much cheaper DAPs were welcomed. Now the smart phone makers are taking notice in the desire for good audio quality they are catching up pretty fast.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #4,185 of 7,088
  Phones are getting a lot better. When FiiO started coming out with these DAPs, a lot of phones had very poor audio quality. The target market for these DAPs was essentially China, where good smart phones are horrendously expensive relative to peoples' earnings, so much cheaper DAPs were welcomed. Now the smart phone makers are taking notice in the desire for good audio quality they are catching up pretty fast.

I don't want to knock the X5ii and this will be my last post on it. I just listen for the details such as hands moving over the strings on stringed instruments and mis-hits on percussion. 
I am not hearing it with the X5ii but am with the phone. The X5ii is a more polished sound but I guess the detail may get lost in that processing? IDK
The only reason I post is because I was/am surprised and keep thinking there is something wrong with dap.
Could be a one-off phone in a good way or a one-off in a bad way with the x5ii.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back