FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 19, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #3,871 of 7,088
Had to drive for 3hrs today. Fiio X5ii sounded pretty good. EQ off.
Maybe my brain needed some adjustment. Tail between legs. :)
Also found out my head units dual rca aux. input has a 2V max. input voltage. 
Not many decks around with the dual rca at 2V. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,872 of 7,088
  Well I have checked the points 1 and 2.

1.   - The EQ seems to increase the bass volume but not the impact. And also clouds the mids more than I would expect
2.   - I own a Senn IE80 which is bassy. It has a lot of mid-bass but lacks the deep sub-bass I am looking for. Opening the bass port on the IE80 only veils the lower mids further

Before the X3ii I spent a few days with a Sony NWZ-A15 before returning it. The bass on the Sony A15 is what I am looking for. Deep, impactful and sumptuous bass. There was a Clear Bass in the EQ setting that increased this bass without clouding the mids much. But then, yes, it adds colour to the sound. I guess my only option is to add an amp with bass setting. Thanks for the input.

3rd option is to use a media player which allows you to apply DSP to tracks before syncing them to X5.  Anything from more granular EQ to subsynth.  You could literally go to extent of using something like Sonar Works to create custom profile.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #3,873 of 7,088
So after trying out some different DAPs, almost buying the new Shanling M2, buying and selling the Hidizs AP100 and selling my X3ii I decided to get the X5ii largely because I know the Fiio products are well built and sound great, plus Fiio has great customer service. How do most people feel about their X5 2nd gen? I hope it will be somewhat of an upgrade over my old X3ii.

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #3,874 of 7,088

3rd option is to use a media player which allows you to apply DSP to tracks before syncing them to X5.  Anything from more granular EQ to subsynth.  You could literally go to extent of using something like Sonar Works to create custom profile.

Thanks for this info.. I'll look into these.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #3,875 of 7,088
Today received HS-16. I am very dissatisfied with the quality.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #3,876 of 7,088
  So after trying out some different DAPs, almost buying the new Shanling M2, buying and selling the Hidizs AP100 and selling my X3ii I decided to get the X5ii largely because I know the Fiio products are well built and sound great, plus Fiio has great customer service. How do most people feel about their X5 2nd gen? I hope it will be somewhat of an upgrade over my old X3ii.

Went from Ipod Classic using Fiio line-out adapter to X5 2nd gen so can't comment on X3 but very happy overall with X5 Gen 2. 

1. Would definitely describe as neutral, not warm or analytical
  2. DSF files play fine and sound fantastic - haven't done A/B against just standard FLAC versions though
  3. Pleasantly surprised that ex-fat formatted SD seems to work just fine and was even tolerant of older 16gb SD I had laying around
  4. Hoping they are actively following community and upgrading firmware based on feedback - no showstoppers just refinements:
    1. Font size
    2. More info on track display i.e. Bit rate
    3. External playlists imported to Playlists not under Storage
    4. Better support for external USB via OTG
    5. Hardware capable of more complex DSP then just vanilla EQ?
  5. Need case option for stacking E5 + Amp.  Stacking kit works well ergonomically but can't use even silicone skin with it
  6. Sounds extraordinary with E12 & ASG 2.5's
    biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #3,877 of 7,088
  Today received HS-16. I am very dissatisfied with the quality.

What's the issue having with it?
Not pleased with how it bends once you put the bands in place? I was a bit disappointed with that as it didn't happen with the stacking kit for the older X5...but it still works though it doesn't look so hot while doing so. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #3,878 of 7,088

Went from Ipod Classic using Fiio line-out adapter to X5 2nd gen so can't comment on X3 but very happy overall with X5 Gen 2. 

1. Would definitely describe as neutral, not warm or analytical
  2. DSF files play fine and sound fantastic - haven't done A/B against just standard FLAC versions though
  3. Pleasantly surprised that ex-fat formatted SD seems to work just fine and was even tolerant of older 16gb SD I had laying around
  4. Hoping they are actively following community and upgrading firmware based on feedback - no showstoppers just refinements:
    1. Font size
    2. More info on track display i.e. Bit rate
    3. External playlists imported to Playlists not under Storage
    4. Better support for external USB via OTG
    5. Hardware capable of more complex DSP then just vanilla EQ?
  5. Need case option for stacking E5 + Amp.  Stacking kit works well ergonomically but can't use even silicone skin with it
  6. Sounds extraordinary with E12 & ASG 2.5's
    biggrin.gif

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really looking forward to my X5ii arriving!

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #3,879 of 7,088
The X5ii is on sale at Sonic Electronix for $315 and its really tempting. Apart from the price what draws me towards this player is, the screen and improved sound over the X3ii (I currently own an X3ii). I have been reading about the X5 and there seems to be some mixed opinions about the devices's sluggish performance. Not sure what FW the members were using while posting their comments. Could someone using the X5ii with the latest FW (1.1) give your input on its UI performance? It will be great if you could compare it with the UI of the X3ii (which I find it to be snappy) in case you have tried both. And also, (not a deal breaker but), if you could comment on the 'device getting warm' aspect too, that will be great.

Thanks for your help!

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #3,881 of 7,088
  The X5ii is on sale at Sonic Electronix for $315 and its really tempting. Apart from the price what draws me towards this player is, the screen and improved sound over the X3ii (I currently own an X3ii). I have been reading about the X5 and there seems to be some mixed opinions about the devices's sluggish performance. Not sure what FW the members were using while posting their comments. Could someone using the X5ii with the latest FW (1.1) give your input on its UI performance? It will be great if you could compare it with the UI of the X3ii (which I find it to be snappy) in case you have tried both. And also, (not a deal breaker but), if you could comment on the 'device getting warm' aspect too, that will be great.

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I'm a relatively new user of the X5ii. I too was very worried about the device having a sluggish UI due to the aforementioned user reports on this forum, but luckily it has not proved to be an issue for me at all. After using the device for quite a few weeks now, I can definitely say that I am satisfied by the unit that I received.

On my device, the UI is fairly snappy with very usable speeds (I would compare it similarly to the iBasso DX50, but a bit more responsive with music controls), and it has not showed alarming issues with warming for me. On average, I would say that browsing through menus does have a very slight delay, but this delay has been essentially negligible. The only major UI lag issues I've had are the fact that when the EQ is turned on, the UI becomes very sluggish compared to normal. I never EQ my headphones, so this isn't an issue for me personally.

Of course, your own personal scenario may vary greatly from the next, because the number of files, file quality, user expectations, and settings enabled will vary greatly as well. I personally have about 1200 songs loaded on my player, with most of the files being 320Kpbs mp3 files or high resolution FLAC files. From what I can surmise, differing file types within your library aren't really going to change the responsiveness of the UI, although I cannot say for certain as I have only tested a few formats. I use a 64GB microSD card from Samsung, and it has not given me any issues so far.

As for the heating of the device: the device can become noticeably warm if you have been using it heavily and also keeping it near warm sources such as your own body temperature. I once fell asleep with the X5ii nestled on my stomach under a blanket while playing music for a few hours. The device did become quite warm, and it did worry me a bit, but it never showed any signs of sluggishness or changes in performance. I still would not recommend exposing it to heat for a long duration, though. I fear that long exposures to heat may affect the thermal paste on the CPU or something like that. Not really able to accurately comment though of course because I did not design the player.

I am currently using FW 1.1, the firmware that came pre-loaded on my player. If you buy from a seller with fresh stock you'll also receive a plastic case rather than a silicone one, which I found to be actually much preferable to the dust-magnet silicone. Anyways, good luck, I think that you'll likely enjoy the experience from the X5ii, especially at that deal bargain!

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #3,882 of 7,088

Thanks for your help!

As far as UI performance.  I have experienced occasional, slight delays.  Along the lines of a second or so.  Nothing deal breaking for sure.  Keep in mind, I only use folder browsing mode because that's what I prefer.  I can't say how it compares to the X3ii because I don't have any experience with that player.  FW 1.1

As far as the device getting warm, I haven't noticed that.  Maybe just a bit above ambient at most.  The most I've listened at a stretch is an hour or so, and I don't generally listen very loud.  If I was listening to low impedance headphones at a higher volume, maybe it would heat up.  Can't say for sure.  Also, my files are a mix of formats, so no long stretches 192khz/24bit or anything.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #3,883 of 7,088

Keep in mind, I only use folder browsing mode because that's what I prefer.

Oh yeah, I also mostly use file browsing mode. The regular "Play by Category" method is a bit underdeveloped in terms of UI. Tracks are sometimes listed in strange order based on filename rather than album/track/artist/title/etc.

If you do get the X5ii, I recommend that you definitely go through your library and organize the folders for file browsing mode. I spent over an hour reorganizing everything into {Artist > Album > Track} and renaming all the files with mp3tag, and I am super satisfied with the result. I even use file browsing on my iBasso players now too. It's much more convenient for me.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,884 of 7,088
Sorry to be a pain.

Can anyone who's owned an iPod Classic with a CLAS give me a rough idea of comparative DAC performace on the X5ii?
My decision on what to buy next depends on it.
Choices are:
iPod - CLAS - Vorzuge Pure2+
iBasso DX90 - Vorzuge Pure2+ or
Fiio X5ii - Vorzuge Pure2+.

Cheers peeps

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #3,885 of 7,088
  renaming all the files with mp3tag,

Please, please I am NOT trying to start an MP3/192 vs. FLAC argument I'm just curious what makes the X5 attractive if you're not already on the FLAC train?  That's kind of how I landed with X5 - I already rip everything to FLAC, pained me to compress just on principle, tired of converting to ALAC on Ipod, I can take 256gb on the go which is quite adequate, the form factor of Pono is just too cute for it's own good and Astell and Kern is just too damned expensive ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back