FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #3,766 of 7,088
  Thanks for quick reply. I already gave credit to the circumstance that hardware technology has advanced since the 7th. gen pod release, however, so did power supply tech and knowing that a 3300 mAh battery will last for a lousy less-than-a-day-charge, well-brained engineering would have set the target higher, at least for something around a day's load, something decent to deserve the "mobile" aspiration in such a device . And now, this being poorly resolved, they even aim for a touch pad. What's wrong with the people?

But enough of that already, it is what it is.  

Do you use the silicone case like I do and does it worsen the heat effect? Anyone using a Dignis leather can report something about that? Thanks

I *think* that given that x5II can truly power most portable headphones, the battery life is very good. 

Ipod cannot power anything to true potential. 

Just tried X5II agains my laptop (high end) and smartphone (mid-high end) and it owned both by the means of differences audible by the average non audiophile person, I mean the entire signature is worlds more vivid and clear than most audio sources. 

I think that the battery is okay-ish, I would had liked it to have been bigger but accomodate a bigger battery, (at least 5000mah) but most people wanted it to be as portable as possible, and Fiio themselves aimed to make it as small as possible.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #3,768 of 7,088
I thought I've found the end game portable pair, but the lost headphone changes that...
Just tried some Westone (W30,W40), some Sony (XBA-A2,A3,Z5) and SE846 (black tube).
I'll try 846 with blue tubes later, not enough time today.

But well... let's keep the thread to the X5ii. :p

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #3,770 of 7,088
Okay now I'm confused. I just loaded 100 albums onto my microsd. X5ii shows I have 12 albums on there. But in the sd card file it shows all music.

What card do you have (legit)?

How did you format the card?

Did you update the library?

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #3,771 of 7,088
Okay now I'm confused. I just loaded 100 albums onto my microsd. X5ii shows I have 12 albums on there. But in the sd card file it shows all music.

And you ran media library update manually and they still don't appear?

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,772 of 7,088
Have legit Sandisk extreme pro. Exfat format(tried to re-format but not sure what I'm doing). Yes I updated library. I can listen to all the music I just have to go into sd card to access it. Sounds pretty damn good. But I was expecting more. I think my ear will adjust though as this is day one of listening.
I have all my music on an old Samsung Galaxy Ace II. Just use it for walking etc. Spent some time A/B'ing them. X5ii is much better but does not blow it away. I think I have a pretty good ear. I'm not an audiophile but I am a musician(guitarist) and my ear is fairly developed. I think I am just used to the Samsung also and the X5II intricacies will reveal themselves with time.
Pretty damn cool unit though :)

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #3,773 of 7,088
Have legit Sandisk extreme pro. Exfat format(tried to re-format but not sure what I'm doing). Yes I updated library. I can listen to all the music I just have to go into sd card to access it. Sounds pretty damn good. But I was expecting more. I think my ear will adjust though as this is day one of listening.
I have all my music on an old Samsung Galaxy Ace II. Just use it for walking etc. Spent some time A/B'ing them. X5ii is much better but does not blow it away. I think I have a pretty good ear. I'm not an audiophile but I am a musician(guitarist) and my ear is fairly developed. I think I am just used to the Samsung also and the X5II intricacies will reveal themselves with time.
Pretty damn cool unit though :)

Not sure why you can't see all your albums if you updated the library with a legit card. Usually the issue arises from the questions I asked previously. For future reference you'll need a FAT32 formatted card to update the FW as exFat won't work.

The safest and easiest way to format your card for use with FiiO DAPs is to use the player itself. Go to System Settings and select Format. It will then ask you which slot and proceed to format (and erase all existing data). Make sure you have the files somewhere else if re-formatting your cards. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using FAT32 on these large cards. The X5ii will happily format the whole thing.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #3,774 of 7,088
Not sure why you can't see all your albums if you updated the library with a legit card. Usually the issue arises from the questions I asked previously. For future reference you'll need a FAT32 formatted card to update the FW as exFat won't work.

The safest and easiest way to format your card for use with FiiO DAPs is to use the player itself. Go to System Settings and select Format. It will then ask you which slot and proceed to format (and erase all existing data). Make sure you have the files somewhere else if re-formatting your cards. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using FAT32 on these large cards. The X5ii will happily format the whole thing.

I used a 32gb card that was FAT 32 to update the FW. But my new cards are 64GB Sandisk EP. Thanks for the info on formatting.
I should restate my last post and say the X5ii is not being used to its potential as I have 16bit/44.1khz WAV files on it. The Samsung has WMA lossy files. I also A/B'ed for about 5mins. LOL. Not enough time to come to any conclusions. 
Do you think if I re-format the sd card to FAT32 it may change the albums issue?
To be honest I am not overly concerned. The sound is awesome and that is all that really matters to me. When researching the X5 and X5ii I read lots about the UI not being the units forte. It seems fine to me. The audio quality is what is important to me though. The rest is just icing.

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #3,775 of 7,088
I used a 32gb card that was FAT 32 to update the FW. But my new cards are 64GB Sandisk EP. Thanks for the info on formatting.
I should restate my last post and say the X5ii is not being used to its potential as I have 16bit/44.1khz WAV files on it. The Samsung has WMA lossy files. I also A/B'ed for about 5mins. LOL. Not enough time to come to any conclusions. 
Do you think if I re-format the sd card to FAT32 it may change the albums issue?
To be honest I am not overly concerned. The sound is awesome and that is all that really matters to me. When researching the X5 and X5ii I read lots about the UI not being the units forte. It seems fine to me. The audio quality is what is important to me though. The rest is just icing.

I've read pretty much every post on the FiiO DAPs and many strange issues like stuttering or skipping do go away when using the player to format the card. Also, fake cards have shown numerous times the exact same issue where the player shows less files than you copied over. You can try formatting with the player, it won't be any worse, but then you need to copy your music over again so it may not be worth it for you if you really don't mind. It's just that it should show all your files without issues. The UI isn't as slick as an iPod classic but completely usable and functional if you ask me.

You never mentioned if the files don't show up in Category view or File Browser view......

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #3,776 of 7,088
I've read pretty much every post on the FiiO DAPs and many strange issues like stuttering or skipping do go away when using the player to format the card. Also, fake cards have shown numerous times the exact same issue where the player shows less files than you copied over. You can try formatting with the player, it won't be any worse, but then you need to copy your music over again so it may not be worth it for you if you really don't mind. It's just that it should show all your files without issues. The UI isn't as slick as an iPod classic but completely usable and functional if you ask me.

You never mentioned if the files don't show up in Category view or File Browser view......

I re-formatted the cards using the player. No change. All the files are in File Browser. But only 14 albums showed up under 'Albums'. 8 'Artists' showed up. 9 'Genres' showed up.
In 'All Songs' it has the first song of every album. Then the second song of every album etc.
I think it may be due to the fact I ripped my entire CD collection and it may have trouble organizing the meta data. Not sure but just a guess. I ripped using Cueripper with Accuraterip(excellent and free) but I believe it leaves something to be desired in the meta data area. I believe it is the the best for audio quality but lacks in other areas compared to other software. I wanted to preserve my large CD collection somehow but I guess from here on in I will step away from CD's.
Thanks for all the help :)

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #3,777 of 7,088
Oh, that explains everything. The tags would be the reason you're not seeing everything under the Categories view. If all the files show up in Browser view then you just need to look at the metadata to get them showing up in Categories.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #3,779 of 7,088
Oh, that explains everything. The tags would be the reason you're not seeing everything under the Categories view. If all the files show up in Browser view then you just need to look at the metadata to get them showing up in Categories.

Ok good. Glad to know what the problems is. I spent more time listening tonight and am very happy with the audio quality. :)

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3,780 of 7,088
Yeah, properly tagging your music files is super important; I suggest making it a habit to tag every album you rip as soon as you do rip them.

Lately though I've only been using the file browsing mode after refiling and renaming my entire library. Luckily, it was only about 1200 songs so it didn't take more than an hour, but my gosh, it was worth it.

The only time I play by category is when using playlists. File browsing when properly used is easily the most effective solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back