FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 29, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #3,676 of 7,088
  OK, sorry, but clearly you are almost all close-minded.

No - we just don't share your opinion. 

I can't argue with that kind of people.

Why argue at all?  You want a touchscreen and other features that some of us do not see a need for.  That is totally fine - there are plenty of players out there that will suit your needs; the X5, however, is not one of them.  This particular DAP is obviously not what you want, so why bother arguing the point further - let it go and look into other DAPs that will actually make you happy, such as the Fiio X7 or the Sony Walkman NW-ZX2. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #3,677 of 7,088

I know that people is close-minded when they try to defend that 5 buttons and a 2.4" screen provides a better experience or is better than a sharp 5" touchscreen with an UI that is intended for touchscreens. I think there's no discussion about that at all, and if anyone thinks there's some doubt about it, then I recommend him to try out a smartphone and a traditional 9-12 keys mobile phone. Of course I'm not saying remove all physical buttons, the side ones are fine.

Honestly, the small screen and physical buttons suit me just fine.  I wouldn't want a touch screen for my purpose.  For example, when I go for a walk I grab the X5ii, scroll to whatever music strikes my fancy, hit play, and drop the player in my pocket.  I can reach into my pocket and pause/play, change volume and skip tracks with the physical buttons.  If I want to change albums, I simply pull out the player, scroll to the new album and back in my pocket it goes.  No touch screen, Android, Wi-Fi, HD resolution, etc. would enhance my experience at all.  That's simply not what I use the device for.  

It really seams like you would be better served by a smartphone.  You could look into getting a DAC/AMP that would work with your choice of phone.  Then you would have the premium amp/audio, and the interface, games, youtube, videos, apps, etc. that you wish to have from your portable device.

For me, I just wanted something to play music, and maybe a podcast or two.  I honestly found it refreshing to find an arguably high-end device that didn't have a touch screen, internet, etc.  Just a simple device with a simple interface.  Maybe I'm just old fashioned that way.

Again, if you are throwing your hat in for a larger screen with a touch interface on the next gen X5, that's fine.  I'm sure there are others that would agree with you.  But you are implying that no-one could possibly want anything else, be satisfied with anything else, or dislike a touch interface in any way.  That's just not accurate.  You may adamantly disagree, but that doesn't make those who are fine with a small, non-touch screen (or who actually prefer that) wrong or closed minded.

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #3,678 of 7,088

Have you tried a-z folders to split artists up? I found this really helped with the speed of scrolling through folders 

I shouldn't have to re-organize my files as a workaround for a shortcoming of the device's UI.  The device's menu has a "category" option, it seems reasonable to expect that the firmware should allow for easier searching within one of its main menu options.  I had players back in 2006 (none of which were Apple products) that assisted in searching larger libraries through accelerated scrolling and skipping through the list by first letter.  It is not like this would be a brand new, never-before-seen feature.

Fiio has come a long way in their UI development, and I think they have done a great job as they have moved forward.  This is probably the only (minor) issue I still have with their players (although if they want to get rid of the wheel and go to buttons only, I would not argue with them
biggrin.gif
).

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #3,679 of 7,088
I shouldn't have to re-organize my files as a workaround for a shortcoming of the device's UI.  The device's menu has a "category" option, it seems reasonable to expect that the firmware should allow for easier searching within one of its main menu options.  I had players back in 2006 (none of which were Apple products) that assisted in searching larger libraries through accelerated scrolling and skipping through the list by first letter.  It is not like this would be a brand new, never-before-seen feature.

Fiio has come a long way in their UI development, and I think they have done a great job as they have moved forward.  This is probably the only (minor) issue I still have with their players (although if they want to get rid of the wheel and go to buttons only, I would not argue with them :D ).

I agree that you shouldn't have to but in the abscence of a UI update I'm trying to offer a speedy solution. Suit yourself though!

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #3,680 of 7,088
My point is:

I think it is pretty reasonable to want to listen to all the media you consume using your professional $350 audio device.
The professional media device is the Fiio X5.
All your media consumption is your FLAC, mp3, dsd... library, your films and YouTube (well, films aside cause you're supposed to experience them in a big Full HD screen with nice speakers or headphones, not a tiny 5" screen).

That makes a 5" touchscreen display, WiFi and Android in the X5 almost a MUST. Period.

So that's why I say it, and that's why I consider it the next logical step in the X5 series.

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #3,681 of 7,088
My point is:

I think it is pretty reasonable to want to listen to all the media you consume using your professional $350 audio device.
All your media consumption is your FLAC, mp3, dsd... library, your films and YouTube (well, films aside cause you're supposed to experience them in a big Full HD screen with nice speakers or headphones, not a tiny 5" screen).

That makes a 5" touchscreen display, WiFi and Android in the X5 almost a MUST. Period.

So that's why I say it, and that's why I consider it the next logical step in the X5 series.

Actually, a lot of my media "consumption" is CDs, some vinyl and even an occasional cassette. No touchscreen, wi-fi or Android needed:

Speaking of vinyl, you are starting to sound like a broken record. Let it go, dude. Geez.

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #3,682 of 7,088
Sorry, as english is not my native language, argue and discussion mean the same. I see that they don't.

I know that people is close-minded when they try to defend that 5 buttons and a 2.4" screen provides a better experience or is better than a sharp 5" touchscreen with an UI that is intended for touchscreens. I think there's no discussion about that at all, and if anyone thinks there's some doubt about it, then I recommend him to try out a smartphone and a traditional 9-12 keys mobile phone. Of course I'm not saying remove all physical buttons, the side ones are fine.

About the last questions, I was just being ironic: the X5ii has an IPS screen, it's 400x360, it weights 165g, it has aluminum alloy, etc...

All those features are not sound-focused, but it impacts directly in your experience using the device. So I said that to stop reading "it's not an audio quality feature, so it's not important" comments.

By keeping the hardware the same, I meant the audio focused hardware, of course.

The X7 does not simply cost more, it's DOUBLE the price, for just a touchscreen, limited Android and WiFi. I don't know what you think, but that does not cost +$350 at all, that's totally nuts.

And by the way, devices evolve each year, and this evolution creates an enhanced version of the previous one and tend to cost the same every year. For example, the whole Samsung Galaxy S series is always about $800, and every year each new smartphone is way better than the previous one. Apple's iPod nano have the same history, better and better each year, better screens, more GB and more powerful, and every year costed the same, even some years costing less than the previous one.

So in the next year it would be nice to see a refreshed X5 (3rd gen.) that costs $350 and have at least a large touchscreen. That's all that meets the today's standards, a high enough dpi touchscreen. Tiny and small screens controlled by 5 buttons is for the 2000's, and we're in the middle of the 2010's.

I know Android and WiFi (although these two come together) are not so, so important, although they would totally improve the experience using the device without a doubt. Notice films and videos (YouTube, audio) would take advantage of the X5, so it's a shame to have it right in your hand and watch videos through your smartphone. It's really logic to use the X5 as your media portable player for everything, and use your smartphone for WhatsApp, SMS, call, games, apps and all that stuff. But you should take advantage of the great audio quality that FiiO provides with this device and use it when watching YouTube videos, films, etc...

Youtube audio, even the 1080p full HD videos, is compressed to 320kbps.

once again, the devices are audio players, not multimedia players.

You can't please everyone.

Apple charges 100$ for 16GB extra on board memory. Apple charges 150 for cellular antenna next to wifi. So for wifi and the 32Gb that's almost the entire cost of the current X5.

FiiO is a smaller company, so parts are more expensive.

An ipad costs about 200 dollar to make. They sell for $400+ (these numbers are not exact, but i'm not far off) as you pay for 1 to 3 replacements as well, in case it breaks within warranty.

theres far more costs than you think.

Another thing: what about people with bad, or no eyesight? Surely you don't feel like going all touchscreen on every device is a good thing?

I'm not an apologist, i think there's enought to be improved on current audioplayers, both hardware, as software. Adding a touchscreen just isn't one of them for me.

Doesn't make me close-minded.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,683 of 7,088
My point is:

actually, many people prefer non-touchscreen, non-Android audio devices.
that's what Walkman team at Sony learned from the user feedback and came up with new ZX100.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,684 of 7,088
  My point is:

It really seems like your main complaint is that the X5ii can't do YouTube (you mention films as well, but discount it yourself, so I won't worry about that).  Well, I would guess that most people who would be in the market for something like an X5ii wouldn't care too much about YouTube.

And besides, I can watch movies (on the "big screen" of my 32" TV even), stream YouTube, Netflix or whatever, and listen to whatever source my fancy could find on the internet all with my X5ii.  It's simply a matter of connecting it to my computer via USB DAC mode.

While portability wasn't the biggest concern when I purchased the X5ii, portability is a factor, and much more so for some.  A larger touch screen, Android, more powerful processors to run them, and a bigger battery to power it all means a physically larger device.  That takes away from portability, which is another down side for some when considering a device with a large touch screen.  Some of the devices remain slim with decent battery life, but if you look at the specs, they have a vastly lower headphone output power than the X5ii.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #3,685 of 7,088
My point is:

Don't you have a smart phone? Why then replicate and make a redundant array of functionality?

It seems you want an android phone with a good dac and amp. They exist already, Meizu MX4 Pro (or so) with ESS9018K2M dac and OPA1612 amp. Just switch off cellular and boom, there it is.

I don't want to schlepp around another 5inch device that does what my phone does. I want a portable, audiophile grade DAP (digital AUDIO player) not a DMP.

The downsides of your proposed 5inch monster:

- large display, large energy consumption, low battery life, powering up such a large display every time you want to skip a track? Really?
- usability. My AK100 has a forward, backward and play/pause button and a volume knob, perfect. Display never needs to switch on when just playing through a folder or list
- you underestimate the development costs for such a device and the numbers you can sell
- bill of materials is not the cost of a device, software development, drivers, tooling, psb design, industrialization, production refinancing, marketing, distribution, logistics, warranty handling, repairs, and endless other things costs an awful lot of money, all that needs to be covered with the profit margin later on and unknown sales success....tough, really rough.
- focus: if you have a media player that can do email, games, videos, YouTube etc. you need to keep that things safe, constantly updated and certified, you won't get that in a small production run $350 device (yet)
- last thing I want when listening to music is getting notifications about whatsapp, emails, updates etc.

If I want a media player with great sound I would buy a iPhone and the Hifi skÿn... Wait, I already did, haha.
Alternatively I could connect my iPhone to the ifi idsd micro - amazing dac and amp can even power my planar magnetics. But for portability, I really don't want that.

If there is a market for what you want then I am sure Fiio will produce it, it's not an exclusive or...

Anyhow, the point is, there are already solutions for Rambo. You just need to look around.

Cheers,
K

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #3,686 of 7,088
My point is:

The next logical step is to let it go. The design of the X5ii is not what you prefer, and it never will be.

I suggest the Oppo HA-2 for you, that way you get the audio quality you want and the smartphone features as well.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #3,687 of 7,088
Touch screen = Broken record. 

Like being able to control and skip songs by touch and without having to look at the screen.  Especially while driving!!!  Much safer.  But also while running, biking, etc.  Serves my needs and obviously the needs of the vast majority that have bought them. Great sound quality at a fair price is what I, and many others, wanted.   Clearly this player is not for some.  That's fine. 

And not appropriate to lecture people on what they do or SHOULD want. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #3,688 of 7,088
Ok everyone, my X5ii review is up!!! :D

I know it's been a long while since we've done the tour but work and personal events have kept me away from finalizing it. I apologize for the tartiness. :xf_eek:

x RELIC x X5ii Review LINK

Also, since the tours are finished I've re-named the thread back to its original name. :)

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #3,689 of 7,088
My LP12 hasn't got a touch screen, shall I throw it away?

Interesting that some here don't value sound quality above all else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back