FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 30, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #3,691 of 7,088
The famous chord Hugo does not feature a screen either.

I wonder if Chord lost any customers because of this:beyersmile:

I don't think so given that the Hugo is just a DAC/amp, it still needs a source.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #3,692 of 7,088
Wow...
What I already knew, everyone is so, so, so close-minded. If it were for you, screens in this type of devices wouldn't exist cause they distract us from the music.

"You can skip or pause without looking at the screen"
Wow, why did you buy this DAP, to skip and pause every 2 minutes?

I'm out of here. You guys don't understand the words evolution, innovation, change, improvement and comfort.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #3,693 of 7,088
Wow...
What I already knew, everyone is so, so, so close-minded. If it were for you, screens in this type of devices wouldn't exist cause they distract us from the music.

I'm out of here. You guys don't understand the words evolution, innovation, change, improvement and comfort.

This is pretty much my last reply to you on the matter, but different people have different needs and wants. It's not fair for you to say X5ii users don't understand or know the difference. It's called choice and they choose to purchase the X5ii for what it is and does. Like it's been pointed out to you before there are other options with a large screen, even a mobile phone with a very good slim DAC/amp to use which also extends battery life.

Personally I don't appreciate your comments calling X5ii users closed minded. I have a smartphone and an iPad. I like the touch screen for those purposes but I choose my X5ii for my music listening.

Please move on and look for a large touch screen elsewhere.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #3,694 of 7,088
its not about not understanding change, its more about why change for change's sake? There are plenty of devices out there to suit different needs, not every device has to fill the same requirement?

Its like saying that a Ferrari 360 needs to have a four doors and room for the dog in the back and must emit low Co2 - thats not Ferrari's remit, so don't buy a Ferrari if you need something else.

Different products fill different requirements, I bought this because it is a pure audio player, just like I have ditched my Apple iPhone for a Nokia 310 - because I want to make calls and text only, I have an iPad for surfing and using apps/maps.

I like different devices for different things, the X5 gives me a pure listening experience - thats all I want

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #3,695 of 7,088
I don't think so given that the Hugo is just a DAC/amp, it still needs a source.

I  tried to make a follow-up joke in there 
etysmile.gif

Sorry for being a little obtuse. 

Wow...

You know, I carry with me a HTC 820, Fiio x5II, 2 sets of headphones (IEM and Headphone) and a 17.3" laptop.

I really appreciate large screens and love touchscreens, but I see no need for one in X5II. I am used to watching AMV (anime music videos) on the screen of my HTC 820. And other multimedia consumption. 

But there is that I want a device that can do better in music departament, because x5II beats every single headphone out there. 

I am developing software, and can tell this, X5II is optimized for music playback and that is it. I had my own quirks with using a wheel, but having a small touch would not really make things better. Not if it meant having less attery or worse audio capacities. 

Maybe you had not owned a cowon j3, it had what you wanted, but with every possible option on it, it still did not sound even close to X5II. This might be why Cowon gave up making a j3 follow-up, and made P1, which costs about as much as X7. 

There are ibasso players that have touch input, and sound great. 

HTC 820 can do audio nicely, very so, has a 5.5" screen, will get android 5.1, and even the next gen, has one of the best screen in mobile phones and can play almost any game you throw at it. I would never use it for music, because there is no comparation between it and X5II, it just does not cut it for music. 

What you did there is almost like telling a pro photographer that a 10.000$ set of DSLR camera + good quality lens should be able to make phone calls, and play youtube. 

Instead of trying to start a flame wars with people who bought X5II for what it is, you should investigate what device fits your needs best, what company makes it, and if you cannot do with any device in 350$ range, either buy one that is more expensive, or try aceept the problems of the cheaper ones. This is this hobby, maybe you do not like audio as much, and are in for a better smartphone, not for audio players.

I have a hard time understanding your frustration, the first time I heared the first generation X5, I was like " I have to buy this thing, it sounds so awesome". Since when I had a 512mb mp3 player, I have been using a separate music player that was able to do one thing at it's best : music. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #3,696 of 7,088
Wow...

While you keep calling us close-minded, i've directed you to look at the X7 many, many times now. It has everything you want, stop bothering us with the same, and unnecessary comments.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #3,697 of 7,088
I don't currently own an X5ii, but it is on my to do list this year. At $350, for Fiio to include a touch screen, they would have to compromise on the sound quality. It's all about compromises to meet a price point. They chose to give it the best sound they could at this price point. For people more concerned about the sound, this is a solid product to choose. For people that want a touch screen, they should choose something else. What is the big deal? Choose what you want at this price point. Me? I'll do without the touch screen all day at this price if it means I can have a solid audio product.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #3,698 of 7,088
  I don't currently own an X5ii, but it is on my to do list this year. At $350, for Fiio to include a touch screen, they would have to compromise on the sound quality. It's all about compromises to meet a price point. They chose to give it the best sound they could at this price point. For people more concerned about the sound, this is a solid product to choose. For people that want a touch screen, they should choose something else. What is the big deal? Choose what you want at this price point. Me? I'll do without the touch screen all day at this price if it means I can have a solid audio product.

You know, since the last few pages, everyone has forgotten to mention how great the audio capacity of X5II is. 

I have been studying the sound, and I must say, the bass is overall the biggest improvement over the first generation X5, and every other device I owned. X5II manages to make my ie800 have that fast and precise bass. 

I wanted to write a review, but after owning X5II for some time, I still discover new things in it's sound

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #3,699 of 7,088
Ok everyone, my X5ii review is up!!!
biggrin.gif

I know it's been a long while since we've done the tour but work and personal events have kept me away from finalizing it. I apologize for the tartiness.
redface.gif

x RELIC x X5ii Review LINK

Also, since the tours are finished I've re-named the thread back to its original name.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great review! Makes me want to upgrade from my X3 2nd Gen. Thanks for the review!

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #3,700 of 7,088
Wow...

The more I think about this...

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #3,701 of 7,088
Has anyone got the X5 2nd gen that came with the clear plastic case? I figure if I order one now that it will likely come with the platic one and not the silicone case. I'm just wondering how well the plastic case fits and protects. I'll likely get a Dignis case for it anyway.

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #3,702 of 7,088
Has anyone got the X5 2nd gen that came with the clear plastic case? I figure if I order one now that it will likely come with the platic one and not the silicone case. I'm just wondering how well the plastic case fits and protects. I'll likely get a Dignis case for it anyway.

Dobrescu George has the clear case. It doesn't cover the mSD slots but I imagine it would fit very well, but you may want to wait for him to chime in on the matter.

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #3,704 of 7,088
Wow...

I had a flip phone up until a few years ago. It had a small, low resolution screen, no internet capability, no touch screen and only physical buttons. It wasn't because I was close-minded. I knew all about touch screens and smart phones and what they offered. I had an iPad and an iPod touch already. But all I needed my phone for was making calls. A durable flip phone worked out much better for me than a smart phone. Physical buttons worked easily and quickly for dialing numbers (even with gloves). I simply had no need, or desire, for a smart phone with a big touch screen and endless connectivity.

As e-mail, picture sending, internet and more became more important to my job, it gave me a reason to have those things on my phone I've since moved to a smart phone (with all of it's drawbacks of actually not being as good for phone calls, not being as easy to use with gloves, being less durable to the point of basically requiring a protective case and more careful handling to keep it safe, higher cost, shorter battery life, larger size, etc., etc.). I put up with the drawbacks because I have a real use for the features when on job sites.

With a portable audio player I simply don't have use for the added functionality a touch screen, android and wifi would add. So I'd rather not incur the added cost and other potential drawbacks of moving to a more smartphone-like device. Besides, I already carry a smartphone with me everywhere, I don't need a device that mostly duplicates it's feature set.

With that, I've said my piece. If you still insist on calling everyone close-minded and ignorant (at best, when you say we don't understand the words innovation, change, etc. it sounds more like you are calling people who disagree idiots), then that's your perrogative.

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #3,705 of 7,088
We've endured four pages of touch screen madness on a non-touchscreen device's thread.

This is my suggestion....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back