FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 15, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #3,571 of 7,088

Did you buy that from eBay?  I've been awaiting their appearance on Amazon.

I did, I got tired of checking Amazon every morning and not seeing it there. I ordered it from eBay on the 7th and paid extra ($59.89 total) for faster shipping and it arrived today. Dignis did a great job on the cover for the X5 II just like they have on all the others, feels great in hand.
Go grab ya one, good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301684833484

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #3,572 of 7,088
  My black leather Dignis case for my X5 II has arrived, so all is good with the world. 
biggrin.gif

Please make a real photo

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #3,573 of 7,088
  Please make a real photo

Sorry for the pic quality. It's not just the look with the Dignis case, it's how great the DAP feels in hand with that soft leather that in a few days forms to the player.  

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #3,575 of 7,088
  I always purchase black cases and was considering switching it up. getting brown for the X5 II.  Nice pics and it really shows off how well this DAP displays album art.

I've thought about switching it up as well because as of now I've purchased 3 black Dignis cases for the X1, X5 and X5 II. I imagine that the brown case will feel just a sweet in hand as the black one, so if you're feeling daring I say go for it! 
biggrin.gif

Album art does look good even outdoors with the X5 II. The lighting was very dim when I quickly took these pictures (plus I'm terrible at photography) so it truly doesn't do any of it justice. Until yesterday, I had been using the FiiO leather-like X5 II case and it got me by until the Dignis arrived. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #3,576 of 7,088
A couple comments on the slowness with a large library:

1) My iPhones have no problem with large libraries.  My iPhone 6+ has about 17000 tracks on it and exhibits no slowness in browsing.  And the iPod classic has all the 28000 files as on the X5ii without any of the lag.  I got the X5ii for extra storage since my iPod is full.  The work around with splitting my library into ABC, DEF, etc., is working well for me.  I appreciate that the X5ii drives my Shure SE846s better than my iPhone 6+.  Does anyone think the tagging as produced by iTunes may be the issue with slow response?  I started ripping CDs back in 2004 and have continued through up to this point.

2) Some artwork from my iTunes library doesn't show up.  Some does.  I'm not sure what the issue is, it's not a major problem for me.  Does anyone have a work-around?

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3,577 of 7,088

1) My iPhones have no problem with large libraries.  My iPhone 6+ has about 17000 tracks on it and exhibits no slowness in browsing.  And the iPod classic has all the 28000 files as on the X5ii without any of the lag.  I got the X5ii for extra storage since my iPod is full.  The work around with splitting my library into ABC, DEF, etc., is working well for me.  I appreciate that the X5ii drives my Shure SE846s better than my iPhone 6+.  Does anyone think the tagging as produced by iTunes may be the issue with slow response?  I started ripping CDs back in 2004 and have continued through up to this point.

2) Some artwork from my iTunes library doesn't show up.  Some does.  I'm not sure what the issue is, it's not a major problem for me.  Does anyone have a work-around?

Thanks.

1) Apple has much better software and therefore it's no surprise that it handles larger libraries. Tagging could be the issue if there are tags that the X5ii doesn't recognize or characters that it doesn't recognize. Browse by folder is easily the best way for using the FiiO DAPs.

2) Not all artwork is embedded with all music in iTunes so if it isn't there you need to manually embed it. In iTunes select all the songs in an album and right mouse click to get info. Look for the album art tabs and load the appropriate artwork.

The thing with iTunes and iDevices is that your computer does a lot of the heavy lifting and it hand holds the user to make the usability as seamless as possible, even if the tags and artwork aren't all in their proper places. FiiO DAPs don't have this luxury.

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #3,578 of 7,088
Adding to that - the i-devices have a lot more RAM.  If the Fiios had more internal memory it would save having to write the indexes for large libraries to the card.  I think that might be the biggest slowdown.

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #3,579 of 7,088

Thanks.

It may or may not surprise you but Apple don't actually embed any information into the ripped audio files, in essence they create a database that is transferred from iTunes to the device and is then matched up with that file on the fly to display artwork and other key meta info, this makes things quicker to browse because its not reading the file first. When it comes to iTunes purchases its a little different as they do embed some meta but most of the time its either not right (genre, etc) and needs amending, so if iTunes has managed your library, it updates the database for the library and doesn't write to the file.

I mention all this to give context to the following.

I purchased my X5 II and transferred my library from iTunes having spent years maintaining it correctly with artwork and meta, but then it all went pear shaped as soon as the X5 loaded it, so after a lot of trials I decided to manually manage my library, and I re-ripped over 500 CDs into FLACs & AIFFs, organised the folders manually as A-Z + 0-9, then subfolders for artist, and sub-subfolders for albums with a (MP3), (AAC) or (FLAC), (AIFF) at the end so I know what was what and what to replace.

As a mac user, I found that reworking the meta data is limited, so I found a programme called Metadatics and used that to manually edit all the meta data the way I want it and add artwork - this software actually writes and embeds artwork into the file itself so its always preserved. I also then added a file called cover.jpg into the albums folder with an image of the cover, which helps as a backup as sometimes I have found that the X5 II won't read artwork if the embedded file artwork was created or scanned at higher than 150 dpi but if the cover.jpg or folder.jpg file is present it will use that.

Needless to say, my genres and album info/notes are all intact, my artwork displays properly and the folders are quick to browse now.

Hope this helps!

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #3,580 of 7,088

Did you buy that from eBay?  I've been awaiting their appearance on Amazon.

ASpencer, did you break down and order the Dignis case from eBay? I'm surprised that Amazon still doesn't have them in stock and I'm starting to wonder if they're going to be offered there anytime soon. That just seems odd as they'd sell like hotcakes.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #3,581 of 7,088
Ugly or neat workaround for huge libraries on the X5? :tongue_smile:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781396/fun-with-mp3tag-turning-your-id3-tags-into-folders

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #3,582 of 7,088
Just throwing this out to learn if this is a problem with my unit or common.

I have two 128GB SD cards with about 13000 songs on both. (7000+ on one and 5000+ on the other)

The X5 Second Gen is becoming more and more sluggish and unresponsive with the menus and buttons as time goes on.
The cards were reformatted and the unit was back to normal.  Add a few songs and all okay but then the more songs on the card, the less snappy the unit becomes until everything has a pause and I am overshooting intended locations because I am pressing the button twice or more occasionally believing the first input was missed.

I have firmware 1.1.

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #3,583 of 7,088
Hey mark,

Does the sluggishness still happen if you choose and play songs via Browse Files (folder icon in main menu, middle icon) rather than Play by Category (sheet with musical note symbol, 2nd icon from left)?

:xf_eek:
Joe for FiiO

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 18, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #3,584 of 7,088
Yes it does. All buttons on the front of the unit become sluggish including the central one at the heart of the wheel.  Only the side buttons, power and volume, remain normal.  The wheel for navigating does remain at the same speed.

Most of the music is in M4A Alac format, having been inherited from iTunes and folder art is within files.  Not sure if that matters or helps, but that's how it is.  The rest are mainly AAC files.
The memory cards are Samsung EVO Plus 128GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back