FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 22, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,346 of 7,088
Hi All

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but this thread is too long to go through page by page. Is there any improvement using the FiiO E12A with the X5II?

Also, I have the X3II and tried to use it on the beach yesterday and couldn't read the screen at all, something that wasn't a problem with the iPod Classic it replaced. Would the X5II suffer from the same problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Darren

Funny as it was literally brought up a couple posts above your post. The e12A won't really improve driving power for difficult headphones compared to the X5ii but it does impart its own sound signature, and of course includes bass boost. Only you can determine if the difference is an improvement or not but I will say that the X5ii is already very detailed and outputs a clean, noise free signal. It's a quality player for sure.

The IPS screen on the X5ii (and the original X5) is a large improvement over the TFT screen on the X3ii, especially in daylight. A few users have reported being quite satisfied with the usability in daylight with the X5ii.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #3,347 of 7,088
Funny as it was literally brought up a couple posts above your post. The e12A won't really improve driving power for difficult headphones compared to the X5ii but it does impart its own sound signature, and of course includes bass boost. Only you can determine if the difference is an improvement or not but I will say that the X5ii is already very detailed and outputs a clean, noise free signal. It's a quality player for sure.

The IPS screen on the X5ii (and the original X5) is a large improvement over the TFT screen on the X3ii, especially in daylight. A few users have reported being quite satisfied with the usability in daylight with the X5ii.

the difference in screen quality between X3II and X5II is night and day, as a previous X3II owner, it was the most annoying thing about that DAP. it was so incredibly annoying to read what was on the screen. if it was sunny out, forget about it. if it was relatively dusty in your room, forget about it. it was too dim even at max brightness, and once i turned on my X5II for the first time, i knew i had a homerun. plus, the larger dimensions allow you to actually read the album covers you are displaying. i cant vouch for the external amplifiers at all, but i CAN chime in and say that the X5II on Hi output can drive HD600's just fine, and those are 300ohm cans. an external amp simply isnt necessary for those particular cans, i cant speak for ALL 300ohm headphones (although i believe they'd probably be just fine as well). 

just my 2 cents.....

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #3,349 of 7,088

You're not limited to those factory settings. All EQ presets are editable – even renamable with a special firmware tool.

Yes JaZZ uptil now I've never messed with EQ, because it tends to make me feel more questioning, but I really love this setting. I'm sure I will experiment more and edit the settings at some point.

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #3,350 of 7,088
  Thanks for the answers. I think I know what I have to do! I have a set of HD650's as well as my IEM's, so it's nice to know that the X5II alone will drive them.

Hd650 is a headphone where opinions depart. 

But I think that you could be happy with x5 alone driving them. 

Though, I would use a E12 for more power if felt like needed. 

E12A changes the signature to a laid back one, if this is your thing. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #3,352 of 7,088
Thanks. I already have an E12A to go with my X3II, so even if I sell the X3, I'll keep the E12A. My main listening would be done through B & W IEM's anyway.

I kept my E12a after I sold the X3ii and upgraded to the X5ii because I really like the E12a sound signature and enjoy comparing the sound of music with and without this external amp. The bass boost is very practical too.

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,353 of 7,088
Ok, my replacement unit crapped out today too. In the morning I found the battery dead, although last night I remember I paused the music and went to sleep; the sleep timer was set too (90 minutes), so something should have put it into power saving mode but didn't. Battery was full last night, as I used it as a DAC the last couple of days. Anyway, I just connected the charger and let it charge until the LED turned green and then I started it. I quickly realised the unit was not showing my music files anymore. Instead, it was only showing some file names and two folders (I organise my music as Artist -> Album -> Files, so there should be no files in the root of the cards). It shows the same list for both cards. I checked the cards in my card reader and they were fine, I even copied over the entire content back to the computer to check. So as of now, instead of seeing the music files, I see a list of about 12 songs and two folders and none of the files is playable. Same content on both cards! Same thing if I go to Browse folders or Play by tag. Why the heck does it show files when I try to browse by genre, or artist, or album?! It should show genres, artists or albums, right?! If I try to browse any of the two folders it goes in a loop to the same list!

What I've tried so far:
1. New card - I had an unopened 8GB Kingston lying around - unit shows the same old list.
2. Upgrade to FW 1.1 - same thing
3. Downgrade to FW 1.0 - same thing
4. Factory defaults - same thing
5. Formatting cards in the unit, and copying files with the device in storage mode - same result
6. Updating library - with a single card with a single album - correctly shows 14 songs were found etc. but when trying to browse it shows the same list as described above
7. Updating library with no cards, hoping it will clear the database or something - no result
8. Updating with the two cards - correctly shows 1.2k files found, bug again when browsing it shows the same 12 songs + 2 folders list

I'm at my wit's end with this. If anyone has any idea, please let me know. On Monday I'll try to return it and get my money back, I'm tired of being a beta-tester. So far it's definitely the worst product I've ever bought. It may sound good when it works, but it has so many problems that's basically unusable for me. I'm still amazed it has so many positive reviews and hardly any complaints. I had two new factory sealed units so far and had problems with both. I'm a programmer, I want to believe I know how to handle an electronic device. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, I'm very careful with my stuff, I never dropped it or anything. I wanted this to work, I didn't try to find bugs, I read the manual several times to make sure I'm using it right, and I still have problems...

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3,354 of 7,088
  Ok, my replacement unit crapped out today too. In the morning I found the battery dead, although last night I remember I paused the music and went to sleep; the sleep timer was set too (90 minutes), so something should have put it into power saving mode but didn't. Battery was full last night, as I used it as a DAC the last couple of days. Anyway, I just connected the charger and let it charge until the LED turned green and then I started it. I quickly realised the unit was not showing my music files anymore. Instead, it was only showing some file names and two folders (I organise my music as Artist -> Album -> Files, so there should be no files in the root of the cards). It shows the same list for both cards. I checked the cards in my card reader and they were fine, I even copied over the entire content back to the computer to check. So as of now, instead of seeing the music files, I see a list of about 12 songs and two folders and none of the files is playable. Same content on both cards! Same thing if I go to Browse folders or Play by tag. Why the heck does it show files when I try to browse by genre, or artist, or album?! It should show genres, artists or albums, right?! If I try to browse any of the two folders it goes in a loop to the same list!

What I've tried so far:
1. New card - I had an unopened 8GB Kingston lying around - unit shows the same old list.
2. Upgrade to FW 1.1 - same thing
3. Downgrade to FW 1.0 - same thing
4. Factory defaults - same thing
5. Formatting cards in the unit, and copying files with the device in storage mode - same result
6. Updating library - with a single card with a single album - correctly shows 14 songs were found etc. but when trying to browse it shows the same list as described above
7. Updating library with no cards, hoping it will clear the database or something - no result
8. Updating with the two cards - correctly shows 1.2k files found, bug again when browsing it shows the same 12 songs + 2 folders list

I'm at my wit's end with this. If anyone has any idea, please let me know. On Monday I'll try to return it and get my money back, I'm tired of being a beta-tester. So far it's definitely the worst product I've ever bought. It may sound good when it works, but it has so many problems that's basically unusable for me. I'm still amazed it has so many positive reviews and hardly any complaints. I had two new factory sealed units so far and had problems with both. I'm a programmer, I want to believe I know how to handle an electronic device. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, I'm very careful with my stuff, I never dropped it or anything. I wanted this to work, I didn't try to find bugs, I read the manual several times to make sure I'm using it right, and I still have problems...

Sounds out of the ordinary. 

seems like it does not have the rights to access the folders or something. Maybe the folders are locked within OS? or anything similar?

A single song might bug the entire device, if it needs to exit the reading loop because of that song.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #3,355 of 7,088
Thanks, but:
1. Both cards worked for a few days and all of a sudden the device started to show a fixed list of files. I tried with a new sd card with a single album, and it kept showing the same list of files, that are not even on that card at all.
2. FAT32 filesystem doesn't support file permissions, so that shouldn't be a problem.

In either case, I'll try again with a single file to see what happens.

Also, I found that if I go to Play by category -> All songs, it does show the files that are actually on the cards all mixed up together, and I can play them. That's the only way I can use it as a player, but scrolling with that stupid wheel through 1,000 files is not an option.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #3,357 of 7,088
Hold the power button for 15+ seconds.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,359 of 7,088
Ok, tried everything again, single file, single album, different files etc., still doesn't work. However, now it doesn't show the list of files anymore, instead whenever I try to use Browse files or Play by category it shows:

Load fail
Please load again

Anyone else seen that error message? Any ideas what it means? I tried to reinsert cards, restart etc., to no avail.

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #3,360 of 7,088
  Ok, tried everything again, single file, single album, different files etc., still doesn't work. However, now it doesn't show the list of files anymore, instead whenever I try to use Browse files or Play by category it shows:

Load fail
Please load again

Anyone else seen that error message? Any ideas what it means? I tried to reinsert cards, restart etc., to no avail.

Thanks!

I had that problem, here is what I did to solve it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765943/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-impressions-and-discussion-tour-application-megathread/2820#post_11778532

Users who are viewing this thread

Back