FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 19, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #2,776 of 7,088

Just lurking, a real newbie too. I waited until Amazon Prime got the X5 2nd Gen. I am spoiled by the prices, and no hassle/returns/customer service..

With that said, I have had my X5 2nd Gen for about 10 days. I have other things on this order, So, the X5ii wasn't getting all the much time. After I set it up, loaded music, and was starting to be a student of DAPs, when today, with my Senn M2 connected, I noticed, that I wasn't hearing much out the right can..Check the connection. The Senn M2 has a locked connection, so that was solid, on the X5ii, after pushing on the cable the sound came in the right can..Let go of the pressure the sound stopped in the right can.. Okay, I might have a bad cable, or heaven forbid, something went wrong with my beloved Senn M2..I switch over to my Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, same thing happening. And  this just happened.. Trying to figure out how could this be when it was working well earlier..

Well, the unit is too new for me to do any investigating.. Called Amazon, and they are shipping me another unit, with a mailing label to return the defective unit.

Now, that the defective  X5ii is all in the box waiting for the other unit to arrive, my mind started thinking on how this could happen. I recall carrying the X5ii with me today in MY POCKET. I am now thinking could some foreign matter get in that hole? The coax hole is covered, but the headphone jack is open. Not going to unpack it and look for it. Will just wait for the new unit in a couple days..

I said all that to say that it is possible to have some issues with these new units.. 

This is why I wait to buy new products, just because the early units always have problems here and there.  At least Amazon will take care of it.  Hopefully your new unit will be good to go.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #2,777 of 7,088

Just lurking, a real newbie too. I waited until Amazon Prime got the X5 2nd Gen. I am spoiled by the prices, and no hassle/returns/customer service..

With that said, I have had my X5 2nd Gen for about 10 days. I have other things on this order, So, the X5ii wasn't getting all the much time. After I set it up, loaded music, and was starting to be a student of DAPs, when today, with my Senn M2 connected, I noticed, that I wasn't hearing much out the right can..Check the connection. The Senn M2 has a locked connection, so that was solid, on the X5ii, after pushing on the cable the sound came in the right can..Let go of the pressure the sound stopped in the right can.. Okay, I might have a bad cable, or heaven forbid, something went wrong with my beloved Senn M2..I switch over to my Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, same thing happening. And  this just happened.. Trying to figure out how could this be when it was working well earlier..

Well, the unit is too new for me to do any investigating.. Called Amazon, and they are shipping me another unit, with a mailing label to return the defective unit.

Now, that the defective  X5ii is all in the box waiting for the other unit to arrive, my mind started thinking on how this could happen. I recall carrying the X5ii with me today in MY POCKET. I am now thinking could some foreign matter get in that hole? The coax hole is covered, but the headphone jack is open. Not going to unpack it and look for it. Will just wait for the new unit in a couple days..

I said all that to say that it is possible to have some issues with these new units.. 

Curious... I had the same problem, but only with one set of IEMs with their stock cable. Just got some Aurisonics Rockets. I really had to push the connector into the X5II deliberately to get sound in both channels. Even with that, I could bump the connector...and I would have to mess with it to get sound back on both sides. That is the only cable that has done this. Apparently the socket on the X5II can be a bit picky about the plug used... at least in a couple of cases.

Keep in mind, I have used RE 400, Re600, AKG7xx, He400i, Meelectronics Duo, and the stock cable for the Oppo PM3, and had no problems...

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #2,778 of 7,088
I've had the same issue with the Rockets cable - yet with nothing else. This therefore suggests an issue with the Rockets plug rather than the Fioo jack - or maybe just a matter of poor comparability together

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #2,779 of 7,088
I see that Amazon has the SanDisk Ultra 128GB Class 10 Micro SDXC cards on sale again for $69 if anyone still needs another. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M562LF4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #2,780 of 7,088
Got my X52G today... immediately popped-in my 200GB micro card with 17k tracks. Am able to folder-browse and play just fine, and kudos to FiiO for making folding browsing a prominent and easy function. However, play by category just doesn't work right with this many files. It took over 2 hours to manually scan. Then, if I try to browse by genre, the unit hard-hangs and I have to force reboot (hold power down for 15 seconds). I am fine with just using folder-browse but a unit with potentially 400GB of storage should work seamlessly for many tens of thousands of files.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #2,782 of 7,088

I've had similar woes using the 200gb card and hope there's a firmware update.

I swapped-in a smaller card with fewer files for testing purposes, and confirmed that with fewer files the unit can properly display genres. But... and here's the What... when you pick a genre instead of then showing artist/album it just lists all the tracks in the entire library with that genre... how completely, utterly useless is that? I can't believe anyone sane would develop the UI like that deliberately so it must be a firmware bug. If they only want to properly support folder browsing with lots of files, that's fine, just remove the category UI and library backend and use those development resources to improve other areas. (But I will note my iPod Classic works just fine with 17k files...)

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #2,783 of 7,088
As I have previously stated, ad nauseam by now, the 200gb card hung up during the media update during my usage.  The performance of this card improved after I stopped using an alphabetical subfolder system, but utilizing the artist and genre listings are still a bit of a slog.  I do expect eventual firmware updates to improve matters.

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #2,784 of 7,088
Folks, on the noise floor issue with my x5 II ...I think I have found the culprit. In one way it lets Fiio off the hook. On the other hand Fiio could do something about it. Let me explain.
just got myself a fantastic 5.6 Mhz dsd transfer of Jazz at the Pawnshop,(Naxos 2xHd) and since both my 128 gb sandisk cards were full, I popped in my 64 gb sandisk otg pen drive with the album. Headphones on, hit play and WOW. Deep black background. (Ive had the otg drive a while but never really done any serious listening from it)
Ok. so maybe its the recording. I put a copy of the album into one of the 128 gb cards and.....noise floor/gauze/compressed issue is back! Reformatted both cards, reloaded them...same thing. External pen drive gives a deeper bass and overall more analogue feel to the music.
Then i remembered there was a thread somewhere talking about the electrical noise properties of sd cards which I thought was all poppycock until now. I know sony has some audiophile grade sd cards at insane prices (there goes my wallet). Obviously sony is not, after all, out to milk everyone of their hard earned cash.
But crazy you may call me, the differences are very audible. Obviously the external dac I'm using has much better noise filters than the Fiio so thru the Dac everything is hunky dory. 

I'm just relieved its not the Fiio per se, but they could and should pay more attention to filtering out any and all nano noise that the cards may generate. I dont have any other sd cards to test but will be getting a samsung 64 gb card to try out as well.

Meanwhile I got a letter from Fiio saying that they will be implementing dsd128 via coaxial out in a future firmware update. I will also be writing to them about my findings with the sd cards.

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #2,785 of 7,088
Folks, on the noise floor issue with my x5 II ...I think I have found the culprit. In one way it lets Fiio off the hook. On the other hand Fiio could do something about it. Let me explain.
just got myself a fantastic 5.6 Mhz dsd transfer of Jazz at the Pawnshop,(Naxos 2xHd) and since both my 128 gb sandisk cards were full, I popped in my 64 gb sandisk otg pen drive with the album. Headphones on, hit play and WOW. Deep black background. (Ive had the otg drive a while but never really done any serious listening from it)
Ok. so maybe its the recording. I put a copy of the album into one of the 128 gb cards and.....noise floor/gauze/compressed issue is back! Reformatted both cards, reloaded them...same thing. External pen drive gives a deeper bass and overall more analogue feel to the music.
Then i remembered there was a thread somewhere talking about the electrical noise properties of sd cards which I thought was all poppycock until now. I know sony has some audiophile grade sd cards at insane prices (there goes my wallet). Obviously sony is not, after all, out to milk everyone of their hard earned cash.
But crazy you may call me, the differences are very audible. Obviously the external dac I'm using has much better noise filters than the Fiio so thru the Dac everything is hunky dory. 

I'm just relieved its not the Fiio per se, but they could and should pay more attention to filtering out any and all nano noise that the cards may generate. I dont have any other sd cards to test but will be getting a samsung 64 gb card to try out as well.

Meanwhile I got a letter from Fiio saying that they will be implementing dsd128 via coaxial out in a future firmware update. I will also be writing to them about my findings with the sd cards.

You're crazy. :wink_face:

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #2,787 of 7,088
Jul 20, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #2,789 of 7,088

I've also experienced the same thing between different SD cards (on all my daps) so it's not related to Fiio. Your just very perceptive, most people won't notice the slight shift. Best not to talk about it though, people get uneasy. As if cables weren't controversial enough, sd cards are inching closer to Coconut Audio territory. Although having a big name like Sony backing the claim does help our case, now they can't through us into a padded cell 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #2,790 of 7,088
I had not noticed a difference between microsd cards, most sound the same to me. I cannot compare to a OTG drive, because I do not have any compatible. 

I wonder if the sony microsd really makes a difference?

I also wonder why microsd would have any noise? I mean, it is supposed to be silent considering the internals used, and the simple-ness of circuits. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back