FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 6, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2,311 of 7,088
  Does the X5 II have this issue too? Or is this only with the X3 II?

To properly answer your question I removed the two micro sd cards from the FiiO Next Gen, then created alphabetized folders.  After that, I moved the appropriate files into the corresponding folders, reinserted both cards and proceeded to update the library.  The X5 II completed the update, but hung and wouldn't return to playability.  I had to restart the unit and subsequently saw that browsing both the genre and artist listings proved lethargic.  The traditional folder view was fine and unadulterated.  Keep in mind, this only occurred after alphabetizing folders on the card with the files within.  The files themselves in their own respective individual folders updated on the FiiO X5 II perfectly without hiccups.

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #2,312 of 7,088

The process of transferring files with the X5ii's USB cable is truly an exercise in patience and about as fun as watching paint dry.

I've encountered that too on the X5 II, but oddly enough... never on the X5 I.  I have a USB cord that's dedicated solely for data transfer, so perhaps I might try that in the future on the X5 II.

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #2,313 of 7,088
Speed of browsing should be instant. If you're running in to troubles there is something wrong.

Did you format with the X5ii?

Do you have extra files that don't belong (only music and cover art and lyrics should be there) in the folders?

Is your album art above 1024x1024? The smaller the better. 500x500 is recommended.

Do you have your id3 tags in order?

If not using FAT32 you won't be able to update the firmware.

everything is fine I think it just may be due to thr 15,000+ songs I have.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #2,314 of 7,088
I've had my X5II for 6 days and am loving it.
I am considering purchasing an E12A amp to further improve my listening experience.

I use Audeo PFE 232s exclusively with my X5II.

Do I really need the E12A?
Would I notice a significant improvement if I added it to my rig?
Feedback would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,315 of 7,088
  I've had my X5II for 6 days and am loving it.
I am considering purchasing an E12A amp to further improve my listening experience.

I use Audeo PFE 232s exclusively with my X5II.

Do I really need the E12A?
Would I notice a significant improvement if I added it to my rig?
Feedback would be appreciated.

Thank You!

E12a has a larger soundstage than both X5 and X5II. Other than that, the soundstage is deeper, more realistic, where on X5 and X5II it is wider, if this makes sense. E12a is smoother, and can retrieve more micro details and details. On the other hand, it is a relaxed sound, X5II is more energic in general. You should test before buying. 

I still plan to buy X5II now, but only if I manage to get a unit with silicone case. it is important for me. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,316 of 7,088
  E12a has a larger soundstage than both X5 and X5II. Other than that, the soundstage is deeper, more realistic, where on X5 and X5II it is wider, if this makes sense. E12a is smoother, and can retrieve more micro details and details. On the other hand, it is a relaxed sound, X5II is more energic in general. You should test before buying. 

I still plan to buy X5II now, but only if I manage to get a unit with silicone case. it is important for me. 

Thank you for the feedback! I am curious if the improved SQ is worth the trade off of the extra bulk of the amp?

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #2,317 of 7,088
I don't have the E12A but I have tried both X5 and X5ii with a number of different AMPs in tandem with IEMs like the A83, DN2000J and Trinity Delta. IMO, using an amp is just adding that particular amps signature or flavour. Both x5 and X5ii can drive almost any IEM without needing another amp.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2,319 of 7,088

Thank you for the feedback! I am curious if the improved SQ is worth the trade off of the extra bulk of the amp?

I don't think that it is. I have not tried any IEM that I have that the X5II does not drive well. None of mine are as efficient as the ones that you have.  You would miss nothing significant with just the X5II. I also tend to believe, from experience, that the differences that are talked about regarding sound stage, especially with IEMs is ends up being quite minimal to most listeners. The differences are slight, and for me at least, take the kind of concentration  and critical listening that I just don't do much of. I listened a bit today while doing some programing and server troubleshooting. When I stopped to actually listen,  was really quite happy with the sound.  I listened for awhile using the Astrotec AX-35, and some with the RE-600. I did not ever feel as though I was missing anything by not stacking my E12. I did try it for a while over the weekend, and
to answer your question, I did not think that using it was really worth the hassle, something else to charge, more cables, extra bulk, and weight. Simply not required!

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2,320 of 7,088

Well then you better hurry!!

Or ask someone who has one if they will be willing to sell it.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #2,322 of 7,088
FiiO sells silicone cases in a variety of colors for the X5, so I assume they'll do the same for its progeny.  I like the blue one, but do prefer the Dignis leather case.

No guarantees there. It would be wise of FiiO though. :wink_face:

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,323 of 7,088
I don't have the E12A but I have tried both X5 and X5ii with a number of different AMPs in tandem with IEMs like the A83, DN2000J and Trinity Delta. IMO, using an amp is just adding that particular amps signature or flavour. Both x5 and X5ii can drive almost any IEM without needing another amp.

It's true that the X5 and the X5 II have enough juice for "most" IEM's and headphones if you're simply talking volume. 

Keep in mind that the opamps used in the X5 and X5 II have their own sonic signature, so it's not like you're abandoning "The Truth" for a colored sound signature that you prefer. It's possible that the Muses 02 and LME49600 in the E12A sound better to some than the OPA1612 and BUF6340 in the X5 II...I wouldn't know as I haven't tried my X5 II with my E12A yet.

I did prefer the OG X5 more when combined with the more spacious sounding E12A. I want to spend at least a month with the X5 II on its own before adding the E12A. Thus far I've been pretty impressed with the overall sound of the X5 II, it sounds "a tad" more neutral and open/spacious than the original X5. I think that FiiO made a wise choice using the OPA1612 and BUF6340 in the amp section of the newer X5 II.
The most important thing is to find the setup that allows "you" to get the most enjoyment out of your music...then try to forget about the gear and buy more music. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,324 of 7,088

Thus far I've been pretty impressed with the overall sound of the X5 II, it sounds "a tad" more neutral and open/spacious than the original X5. I think that FiiO made a wise choice using the OPA1612 and BUF6340 in the amp section of the newer X5 II.
The most important thing is to find the setup that allows "you" to get the most enjoyment out of your music...then try to forget about the gear and buy more music. 
smily_headphones1.gif

FiiO excelled with the X5 and its progeny X5 Next Gen.  I’d become disenchanted with strapping kits and the added bulk of an amp, despite the additional enhancements and power, as portability was nearly tantamount to sound in regards to my DAP requirements.  So far I’ve been enchanted with the X5 II sans the two irrespective amps I own.  I’m also appreciating the lower priced Hidizs AP100 in comparison to the X5 II as it stacks up quite well, even if I’m avoiding actual stacking.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #2,325 of 7,088
Well then you better hurry!!

Or ask someone who has one if they will be willing to sell it.

I am trying, let's hope that the price of 287 dollars is good enough for someone in romania to buy my X5. A new one can reach 450$ as price.

Here is FiiO's statement, implying the X5 II is still available with the silicone cases included.

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/277

thanks for the data!

I do fully agree with you. Changing the sound by adding an amp is made for just changing the sound. driving power-wise, X5II and X5 are able to drive anything up to hd650, where there are people who want more power. I tested, and for me, it was enough. 

But as stated, E12A only changes the sound, it even has about the same amount of power as X5II. It would be added to 

flavour the sound with more soundstage, not drive better. One could live happily ever after having X5II, without concerning. 

This is why you should decide on your own and test before buying. As a refference, I never use X5 alone, since I bought E12A. For ie800, I tried X5 alone, and I love E12a sound too much. In an older discussion with Fiio, before buying E12A, I also found out that there might be people who would still use E12A with X5II. For me, it is a sure. 

The bulk is heavy, and the stack is heavy, bulky, and is not always fun to take with you, due to how it ltooks. But it sounds the best. [this might be a little unfair to tell in the open, but I do love the signature of E12A so much, that even if I get a Chord Hugo, I still plan to use an E12A to add that specific flavour. The amp is just amazing. And I did test it against Hugo directly, when I bought]

Do not except other changes than being able to hear microdetails a hair better, soundstage is far more exact and has a very good depth. Sound layering is very improoved too. but that is it. It is up to you if layering and soundstage depth is important enough. On X5 and X5II the soundstage is great, and wide, but depth wise, the help from E12a makes up for a real experience. Then again, for the price, I could live happy with X5II alone, but I do carry every single time I listen music, the E12a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back