FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #2,146 of 7,088
I'm actually quite enamoured with the X5ii, and I'm glad I got on the tour. It sounds mostly the same as the X5 (which is good) but has a bit more extension and slightly cleaner treble and attack (which is good). It's slight but it's there. I'll have to think hard of a way to put it in better words in my review because so much has already been said about the unit.

What I really like most is the form factor, build quality, screen, deep sleep mode, and of course the multiple themes. I'm not sure there's more to say.

+1

Exactly what I wrote in my review as well. Spot on. I used an input switched and the daps volume matched.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #2,147 of 7,088
Are you finding the X5II to be a bit more open/spacious sounding than the X5? They are very similar, I spent a couple hours this evening relaxing in the den while listening to the X5II and it sounds more spacious to me. Regardless, it's a very enjoyable player to use and it's easy to get lost in the music while listening to it. I'm extremely pleased with my purchase...I gave my OG X5 to my wife which she now uses rather than the X1. 

Open sounding or spacious I peg as a result of a cleaner treble and more extension so yes, a little more open and spacious. I'll have more in my review........ :wink_face:

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #2,149 of 7,088
Yup, I think consensus has been reached
smily_headphones1.gif

I also understood that there is something about a blacker background going on?

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #2,151 of 7,088
As in less hiss with sensitive IEM OR more space between instruments, George?

As I undferstood it, the discussion was about less hiss with sensitive IEMs.  I would still expect e12a to have more space between instruments, but some people said that there was literally zero hiss even with IEMs that pick hiss very easy.

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #2,152 of 7,088
I beleive Lieven wrote that on Headfonia George. Yes, the X5ii has a very low noise floor which is what it means when the term 'black background' is used. Less noise (as subtle as it may be) to take away from clear music reproduction. This also gives a greater sense of space between instruments. I never thought the X5 had any noise, but next to the X5ii I can hear it (though barely, and only with my IEMs).

Funny thing is we are creatures of relativity. If I see a picture of a man in an open field I can't say at all how tall he is. If I see a picture of a man next to a countertop and an appliance I can easily estimate his height. We are very poor at guessing direct measurements and very good at relative differences, it's how we're wired.

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2,153 of 7,088
I received my X5 Gen 2 (adding to my X5 Gen 1) and can report the OTG is a PROBLEM (where my X5 Gen 1 handles OTG perfectly).

This is what I reported to FiiO:

Hi Team FiiO,

I just received my X5 2nd gen and I'm disappointed as it isn't handling OTG storage as my X5 first gen does; it fails to provide an essential feature.

While my 128gb microsdxc exFat cards from my X5 1st gen work fine, my FiiO OTG cable from the original X5 with a Lexar 256GB thumb drive does not.

I get a message "External USB STORAGE removed" that reappears continually after I dismiss it. Furthermore, the new X5 doesn't mount/read the OTG storage. Please note that my X5 generation with fw2.5 handles this external OTG storage perfectly.

Please advise as this decrease in functionality is unacceptable

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #2,155 of 7,088
  I received my X5 Gen 2 (adding to my X5 Gen 1) and can report the OTG is a PROBLEM (where my X5 Gen 1 handles OTG perfectly).

This is what I reported to FiiO:

Hi Team FiiO,

I just received my X5 2nd gen and I'm disappointed as it isn't handling OTG storage as my X5 first gen does; it fails to provide an essential feature.

While my 128gb microsdxc exFat cards from my X5 1st gen work fine, my FiiO OTG cable from the original X5 with a Lexar 256GB thumb drive does not.

I get a message "External USB STORAGE removed" that reappears continually after I dismiss it. Furthermore, the new X5 doesn't mount/read the OTG storage. Please note that my X5 generation with fw2.5 handles this external OTG storage perfectly.

Please advise as this decrease in functionality is unacceptable

I do seem to remember, on more than one occasion, FiiO explaining that upon release the OTG function will not be active. They also stated that future firmware upgrades may fix the issue.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2,156 of 7,088
I'm actually quite enamoured with the X5ii, and I'm glad I got on the tour. It sounds mostly the same as the X5 (which is good) but has a bit more extension and slightly cleaner treble and attack (which is good). It's slight but it's there. I'll have to think hard of a way to put it in better words in my review because so much has already been said about the unit.

What I really like most is the form factor, build quality, screen, deep sleep mode, and of course the multiple themes. I'm not sure there's more to say.
I know I'm being redundant, but a lot of this is in general. Just curious if you could explain in more detail how the treble differs. The reviews of the orig X5 treble have been less than desirable. I'm picky. I guess for a portable device, not so much, but for a all in one that drives bigger headphones, and small, im just curious how the treble measures up.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #2,157 of 7,088
  I do seem to remember, on more than one occasion, FiiO explaining that upon release the OTG function will not be active. They also stated that future firmware upgrades may fix the issue.

I tried to provide fair warning on this forum and in my review that the OTG function was problematic with my review unit with the initial firmware.

Some people have indicated that OTG was working on the X5 Gen II with a firmware update.  The discussions seemed to merge the first and second generation units and frankly I did not know what to conclude.

FIIO has indicated to me that they hope to resolve this at some unspecified point in time, but for now they are de-emphasizing the OTG feature on the X5 Gen II.   There were some design changes compared with the first generation units that led to OTG issues.

For what its worth, OTG is finicky on the X3 Gen II with the most recent firmware.  It works but not one hundred percent reliably.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #2,158 of 7,088

Hi good sound,

Thanks for the info.

Perhaps - but not something I had time to read in the 144 pages of post to date.

The UI has OTG under Folders (it's active to select), exactly as the old X5 does, but it doesn't appear to work. An available option is a contract with the user that it should work; even more so with the identical OTG cable and USB storage device (my $0.02 - of course)

I otherwise like the X5 2nd Gen, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this is addressed as OTG allows me to carry 256GB USB sticks with lots of content; exactly as I have with my 1st generation X5. If it's not addressed, the X5 II will unfortunately be going back.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2,159 of 7,088
I beleive Lieven wrote that on Headfonia George. Yes, the X5ii has a very low noise floor which is what it means when the term 'black background' is used. Less noise (as subtle as it may be) to take away from clear music reproduction. This also gives a greater sense of space between instruments. I never thought the X5 had any noise, but next to the X5ii I can hear it (though barely, and only with my IEMs).

Funny thing is we are creatures of relativity. If I see a picture of a man in an open field I can't say at all how tall he is. If I see a picture of a man next to a countertop and an appliance I can easily estimate his height. We are very poor at guessing direct measurements and very good at relative differences, it's how we're wired.

Thanks a lot!

This is how I see the situation too!

Before hearing E12A, I never thought that X5 had any hiss, only after hearing E12A I thought that X5 could be a little more silent in this aspect, or that X5 could have a little larger soundstage. But yesterday, I had to travel by bus a long way, and I would not use the stack, because people were eyeing, and in romania this is not a wanted thing. Let me tell this, X5 is amazing on it's own, and if you do not have how to compare to an immediate something, X5 is an amazing device. 

In fact, sometimes I lack a little of the treble energy that X5 has using E12a. I do understand that the differences are only in op-amps and amp buffers, but it is sesizable, but again, it is only sesizable by direct comparation, as you mention this. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #2,160 of 7,088
  Hi good sound,

Thanks for the info.

Perhaps - but not something I had time to read in the 144 pages of post to date.

The UI has OTG under Folders (it's active to select), exactly as the old X5 does, but it doesn't appear to work. An available option is a contract with the user that it should work; even more so with the identical OTG cable and USB storage device (my $0.02 - of course)

I otherwise like the X5 2nd Gen, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this is addressed as OTG allows me to carry 256GB USB sticks with lots of content; exactly as I have with my 1st generation X5. If it's not addressed, the X5 II will unfortunately be going back.

i have this leef card reader: http://www.amazon.com/Leef-microSD-microUSB-Connector-Android/dp/B00J2D7R20

it works flawlessly on my X5II with ZERO problems. i used a 128GB stick in it to give me a total of 384GB of total space in my new toy. all i had to do was format it like i always do, using gParted in linux (or just use the player) in fat32 format, then i loaded it up with music, then popped it into the player, and selected OTG from the menu choices of TF1, TF2, or OTG. "it just worked" the first time, and every other time since. no magic dust. im on firmware 1.0 and its from the first production batch. im a first day purchaser from miccastores. this is an amazing item btw, pick up a leef. it comes in handy with phones, tablets, and now my X5II!!! (i dont work for them btw, they just make a really useful product!)

i think the problem may lie with the device you are trying to use as a source. your phone/tablet may not allow OTG, or it could be the cable you are using, this tool i linked to works for sure 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back