FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #2,026 of 7,088
  Hello guys... Got my X5ii, charged and put an 128 SDCard and then I select the Update media lib function, start showing numbers from 1 to 617 and then stop at 617 and it have 1 Hour that way "?"
I reset it twice and got stock in the same number :frowning2:
How long would it take to X5ii to update the library on an 128 SDCard?

Thanks.

it depends on how much stuff you have on the card. here's some steps you can take

1. is it a legit brand name microsd card? (or did you get scammed on ebay and get a fake cheap one)
2. ALWAYS format the card IN the FiiO device, i usually do it just fine in gparted on linux, but just to rule out any abnormalities, do it in the device (to be safe)
3. re-add all your music again

for the record: i have 2x 128GB sticks in mine (filled to the brim on each), and it takes me roughly ~15m for it to read all the data from both cards. i hope this has been helpful :) if it keeps getting stuck at the same time, i'm thinking you have a corrupt card. please follow those steps and then let us know what happens...

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2,027 of 7,088
  Hello guys... Got my X5ii, charged and put an 128 SDCard and then I select the Update media lib function, start showing numbers from 1 to 617 and then stop at 617 and it have 1 Hour that way "?"

Thanks.

This should help:

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39965&extra=

Greetings.

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2,028 of 7,088
  it depends on how much stuff you have on the card. here's some steps you can take

1. is it a legit brand name microsd card? (or did you get scammed on ebay and get a fake cheap one)
2. ALWAYS format the card IN the FiiO device, i usually do it just fine in gparted on linux, but just to rule out any abnormalities, do it in the device (to be safe)
3. re-add all your music again

for the record: i have 2x 128GB sticks in mine (filled to the brim on each), and it takes me roughly ~15m for it to read all the data from both cards. i hope this has been helpful :) if it keeps getting stuck at the same time, i'm thinking you have a corrupt card. please follow those steps and then let us know what happens...

Thank you for the info!
Card is legit, bought at Amazon, that same card works perfect in my DX90 and it takes less than 5 mins to update the Library, so the card is not corrupted either.

I guess I can try to format the Card in the Fiio device and re-ladd the music again. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2,030 of 7,088
  Hi RD777, Thanks for the link!, can you please revise the link?, is not working for me.

Thanks Again.

That's weird :S. Anyway, here is the content from that page. (Fiio Support Forums)

: What to do if “Update Media library” on the X5 2nd gen/X3 2nd gen/X5 causes hangups?

A: If the X5 2nd gen/X3 2nd gen/X5 hangs while updating the media library, it will still hang on any subsequent attempt if no changes are made.  The first thing to try is to eject the micro SD card(s), update the media library with no cards loaded to clear the database, insert the card(s) again and try updating again.  If the update still hangs, then it is caused by certain problems on the card(s) or certain problems with files on the cards.  Please try the following:

1. Run SAMediaScanner (Here is the link for download: click here) on your SD cards to scan for files with errors.  If any files with errors are detected, please delete the files (re-encoding the music and re-testing if necessary) and run the media library update again; if the update still hangs,

2. Please examine the SD card(s) on the computer and delete files with .log extension or any other non-music files from the card(s) and run the media library update again; if the update still hangs,

3. Please try the following method:
(1) remove the cards and do a library update (clears the database)
(2) move half of the songs out of the card (e.g. half of the folders), insert the card and try the library update again.
(3) if the update succeeds:
a. add half of the folders you moved out back into the card (for a total of 3/4 of the original total) and try again
if the update in (2) fails:
b. move out half of the remaining folders (for a total of 1/4 of the original total) and try again
if the update in (b) succeeds:
i. add half of the folders you moved out in (b) back into the card and try again
Basically the idea is to use a binary tree elimination to find song(s) or file(s) that are causing issues with the library scan.

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #2,031 of 7,088

Thanks.

You should also check the tags of your files. With the older models, non-standard id3 tags (or something along that line) could cause the updates to hang. As mentioned many times before, mp3tag is a great prog to use for this.

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,032 of 7,088
That's weird :S. Anyway, here is the content from that page. (Fiio Support Forums)

: What to do if “Update Media library” on the X5 2nd gen/X3 2nd gen/X5 causes hangups?

A: If the X5 2nd gen/X3 2nd gen/X5 hangs while updating the media library, it will still hang on any subsequent attempt if no changes are made.  The first thing to try is to eject the micro SD card(s), update the media library with no cards loaded to clear the database, insert the card(s) again and try updating again.  If the update still hangs, then it is caused by certain problems on the card(s) or certain problems with files on the cards.  Please try the following:

1. Run SAMediaScanner (Here is the link for download: click here) on your SD cards to scan for files with errors.  If any files with errors are detected, please delete the files (re-encoding the music and re-testing if necessary) and run the media library update again; if the update still hangs,

2. Please examine the SD card(s) on the computer and delete files with .log extension or any other non-music files from the card(s) and run the media library update again; if the update still hangs,

(2) move half of the songs out of the card (e.g. half of the folders), insert the card and try the library update again.

a. add half of the folders you moved out back into the card (for a total of 3/4 of the original total) and try again

b. move out half of the remaining folders (for a total of 1/4 of the original total) and try again

i. add half of the folders you moved out in (b) back into the card and try again

Basically the idea is to use a binary tree elimination to find song(s) or file(s) that are causing issues with the library scan.

Ok, Thanks!, I'll try this steps and let you know.

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,033 of 7,088

[COLOR=FF0000]Actually, it is a TRRS connector.  Not proprietary, but not commonly used (based on how few I can find on-line), especially for coaxial digital. (Sorry, not enough caffeine this morning...you said pin configuration)[/COLOR]  Most of the 3.5mm TRRS connector cables are terminated on the other side with three RCA connectors (two for audio and one for video).  It's a common plug for small video players.  Hope that helps.
Cheers and all the best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

PS- I'll give up my X5ii when they pry my cold... :wink_face:  
PPS - Yes, that was a joke...:wink_face:  

Bah, I meant the contacts in the jack the way they are lined up with the TRRS plug.

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #2,034 of 7,088

I have two new Sandisk 128GB SDs, I formatted them on the X5ii, then copied my library over.  I've inherited (literally) two libraries in addition to my own, so my library is quite large - somewhere just north of 32,000 tracks. When I tried to build the library the first time, I got a blue screen (unfortunately, I didn't note anything about this error - I think it didn't fill the whole display, and strangely, I think it was rotated 90 degrees).  After that, any attempt to rebuild the library generated an error message (in Chinese), any attempt to browse the files on the cards also generated an error (I think it was the same error, but I'm not positive). I tried rebuiding the library with no cards, and got another error. I tried re-building with a 32GB card, first empty and then with a few tracks, but still no joy.

I did manage to get it working again, but I'm not really sure what I did.  There is no hardware reset button on the x5ii, as far as I can tell, but I think if you hold the power button for some amount of time >10 seconds (not really sure about this), it accomplishes the same end. After I got it working again, I successfully rebuilt the library and everything was good again.  As it turns out, the library functionality is pretty anemic, I don't expect I'll ever use it in its current state (if I could install Rockbox on this thing, I'd be in hog heaven).  In any event, the successful build took around two hours with my library.

Cheers,
art

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,035 of 7,088
I guess I should state something important about my audio hobby which would completely change my perspective on things. Even though I'm into 'portable audio' none of my players leave the house or are used in real life outside environments. If it were the case DX90 battery life (without an exchange battery) would not only drive me up the wall, also be completey unacceptable. On the other hand from testing I'd be perfectly fine with X1, X3II, or DX50 (which is better than DX90)

Thanks for clarifying that H20

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,036 of 7,088
I've registered on the FiiO website and haven't received the verification email, as well as purchased x5ii from EA Audio and the device is failing the authentication check.

Emailed FiiO support yesterday lunch and haven't had a reply yet.

How long should I expect support to be, as I haven't received any confirmation of receipt email either.

Thanks in advance any long to FiiO customers.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #2,037 of 7,088
Bah, I meant the contacts in the jack the way they are lined up with the TRRS plug.

Yeah, I rethought the statement after I wrote it but didn't have time to pull it completely.  But, if people are looking for a digital cable that works with the X5ii, look here: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZCHJA8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

It works just fine (although it's a bit short for my taste).
One other thing, have you noticed while in digital transport mode, the player does not switch to the next folder?  The play next folder feature works in normal mode with headphones, but isn't working for me when I use the coax (not sure about line out mode either).
confused_face_2.gif

Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,038 of 7,088
Got my X5 II in today installed 2 Sandisk 128GB SDs Pluged in my new Oppo PM-3s and all is great. Sound is way better than my old X3.One thing I can't get to work is the OTG. I have a OTG cable for my android phone and a OTG flash drive 32GB. The X5 doesn't see anything but shows that it is being removed when I take it out. The owners manual on Fiio website has no clear English
manual to download. Can anyone help with this,Thanks

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #2,039 of 7,088
Got my X5 II in today installed 2 Sandisk 128GB SDs Pluged in my new Oppo PM-3s and all is great. Sound is way better than my old X3.One thing I can't get to work is the OTG. I have a OTG cable for my android phone and a OTG flash drive 32GB. The X5 doesn't see anything but shows that it is being removed when I take it out. The owners manual on Fiio website has no clear English
manual to download. Can anyone help with this,Thanks

No answer to the OTG stuff but the PM3s are absolutely an awesome pairing. Between those and my M100s I've got every genre covered from a portable standpoint.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2,040 of 7,088
I don't know if this is of use to anyone but back when I bought a DX50, I joined the Meenova Kickstarter for a small OTG reader for MicroSD cards.  I found it worked well with the original X5.  I'm currently using it with the X5 Gen 2 with no problem other than the controls are a little sluggish.  Here was the original: https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/p/m3r.html

I'm listening to a 64GB microSD with it right now.

Unfortunately it seems to be retired for the "Dash Micro", which IIRC someone on the thread mentioned didn't work with the original X5 so I don't know about the new one.  All this to say that the function is apparently very picky with OTG storage but can work.
For me, OTG was mooted when the 128GB microSD's became affordable and I moved to the two-slot FiiO DAP.  Of course, YMMV...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back