FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #1,756 of 7,088
Got mine from Micca today too...defective scroll wheel and center button.  Awesome.  :frowning2:  The center button and scroll wheel are both titled to one side so if you press the right side of the center button, it doesn't press in at all.  The X3 is WAY better from a scroll wheel and button stand point.  Hopefully my replacement is better.

Now I gotta wait for the swap. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,759 of 7,088
I can't speak for the X3 but X5ii scroll wheel is way better than the X5.  Solid, tactile feedback on the detents and much tighter movement.  However (to pick at nits), there is a slight play in the wheel and it doesn't always move one setting per detent (on the main menu at least).  The scrolling does seem to move one for one (most of the time) in the settings menus.  My original X5 scroll wheel is much looser with a lot more play and the detents aren't as noticeable.

I function checked mine (except for loading/listening to music) and everything seems to be in working order.  I hope the folks who got defective units can get theirs replaced quickly!  
UPDATE: Mine has FW 1.0 pre-loaded.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,760 of 7,088
  Anybody else got their final production X5ii from Micca and can compare with X3ii scrolling wheel?

i just got mine from micca this morning, and tbh its very nice. no issues with buttons or screen or anything. the only caveat so far is the slow loading times for screens. i am using the same two memory sticks (128gb lexar) that were formatted in my old x3II so i know that they work. the X3II loaded screens much faster than this X5II. i've only used it thru the lineout into my car stereo on the way to work this morning, so i'll let you know how it sounds with my hd600s in roughly 3 hrs.. anyone else noticing slow speeds? it took like 7 mins to index all the files in my library compared to my x3ii. hopefully this can all be resolved in a FW update though. also, the small led light in the power button is a beautiful touch. i cant wait to play this thing thru my cans later! also, its friggin beautiful and has just the right amount of weight to it. its slightly heavy, but feels strong. the body is slightly different from the x3ii, but the bevels are soo sexy.

also: did anyone else notice that your USPS mail from micca was labelled as "Tinbel"? isnt that the amazon reseller that was charging like $20 more than miccastores? are they the same person?

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,761 of 7,088

also: did anyone else notice that your USPS mail from micca was labelled as "Tinbel"? isnt that the amazon reseller that was charging like $20 more than miccastores? are they the same person?

Mine seems a little slow going from selecting a song to actually showing the display info of that song, but it seems like the unit starts playing the song first.  I'd much rather that be the case than the opposite (picture then song).  The X3II is def faster in that regard, but they are also on the second firmware version (or third, don't remember), so I expect that to improve.

Yes, mine was Tinbel too...I believe them and Micca share distributers...I've seen it a few times via amazon purchases of audio equipment.

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,762 of 7,088
ok cool, so im not crazy. yes i did notice that it plays the song immediately, so i have no qualms there, its just the menus and the album art loading slow, but its cool. easy fixes over FW, so i dont care. cant wait to start seeing some custom skins for this player, cuz even though the screen is IPS, the stock ones still look terrible lol.

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,763 of 7,088
  ok cool, so im not crazy. yes i did notice that it plays the song immediately, so i have no qualms there, its just the menus and the album art loading slow, but its cool. easy fixes over FW, so i dont care. cant wait to start seeing some custom skins for this player, cuz even though the screen is IPS, the stock ones still look terrible lol.

They certainly look better than the X3II...the screen is so much brighter and clear...and the three lines of song info is much more usable than the 2 lines you get on the X3II as well.  I love the look and design of the X5II...just so pissed mine is messed up.  Sad sad day. :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,764 of 7,088
yeah tough break on that, im sorry that yours didnt work out well upon delivery. doesnt micca like screw you over returns too? its like 15% restocking fee or some crap. i totally agree about the display though, its sooo crisp and clear. and having more data on the screen is nice too. they needed to do something with the display on the X3II it was soo dark and the contrast was total crap. i mean, i know its not a nintendo DS or anything, but it was impossible to see out in the sun. and i hated having to squint so badly to read it. and if you got dust on it, forget about it.

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,765 of 7,088
There is certainly a little lag between screens and in displaying album art if that changes during a song advance, but TBH it any worse than on my X5 Classic. I'm mostly used it with Lockscreen 3 enabled, so I didn't have to activate the display while performing basic functions which wastes battery life.

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,766 of 7,088
  yeah tough break on that, im sorry that yours didnt work out well upon delivery. doesnt micca like screw you over returns too? its like 15% restocking fee or some crap. i totally agree about the display though, its sooo crisp and clear. and having more data on the screen is nice too. they needed to do something with the display on the X3II it was soo dark and the contrast was total crap. i mean, i know its not a nintendo DS or anything, but it was impossible to see out in the sun. and i hated having to squint so badly to read it. and if you got dust on it, forget about it.

No they've been pretty good...with communication at least.  I'm just sending mine back and as soon as the post office accepts it they send the replacement right away.  

Yes, if you want to return it you pay the 15%...I'd rather just sell mine to a fellow member (assuming I get a good one) so that they can save the money instead of Micca getting it.  :)

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,767 of 7,088

Anybody else got their final production X5ii from Micca and can compare with X3ii scrolling wheel?

i just got mine from micca this morning, and tbh its very nice. no issues with buttons or screen or anything. the only caveat so far is the slow loading times for screens. i am using the same two memory sticks (128gb lexar) that were formatted in my old x3II so i know that they work. the X3II loaded screens much faster than this X5II. i've only used it thru the lineout into my car stereo on the way to work this morning, so i'll let you know how it sounds with my hd600s in roughly 3 hrs.. anyone else noticing slow speeds? it took like 7 mins to index all the files in my library compared to my x3ii. hopefully this can all be resolved in a FW update though. also, the small led light in the power button is a beautiful touch. i cant wait to play this thing thru my cans later! also, its friggin beautiful and has just the right amount of weight to it. its slightly heavy, but feels strong. the body is slightly different from the x3ii, but the bevels are soo sexy.

How about scrolling wheel?  X3ii had this click feedback action as you rotate it, is it the same with X5ii or does it glide smoothly without any noticeable resistance-feedback?

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,768 of 7,088
Now for the unboxing:

As you can see, there are differences in the packaging.  The title lettering on the box is smaller than the original and the picture of the DAP seems to be proportionally smaller to the old X5 (marketing ploy for leaner and meaner player?
wink_face.gif
).
You'll notice the X5ii player internal box is thicker and the finish is smooth with an embossed FiiO logo compared to the plain but textured original.

Opening the box presents the FiiO X5 player control guide and an advertisement flyer from HD Tracks.  The players themselves are in a form-fitted foam insert with the X5ii wrapped in a protective sleeve.
A note about the silicon sleeve; FiiO will no longer be including them in future manufacturing runs due to a smell issue: http://www.fiio.net/en/story/277.  And it does smell.  If you've ever spent any time in the old M17 gas mask that was used by the US Army, you'll know what I am talking about.  That, and a hint of Jasmine (I can't make this stuff up 
wink_face.gif
).  The original X5 sleeve does not smell.

Pulling off the silicon cover (and sticking it outside so I can air out the room), I took a look at the control buttons.  I guess there was some questions about whether they were recessed or not.  Looking through a magnifier, the power button and front control buttons are raised about 1/2mm above the surface of the player (really).  The volume buttons are raised approximately 1mm.  I'm sure you could feel the difference in the dark or if the player was in your pocket.

Looking at the included accessories side by side, the differences are the inclusion of the vinyl decals for the X5ii and the USB TF card reader (and USB adaptor) in the original X5.  Truth be told, I believe the reader and adaptor would be considerably more useful than the decals which would cover the beautiful (to me at least) metallic finish of the X5ii.

So, there is the unboxing and comparison in a nutshell.  I hope you find it useful.  My X5ii is currently charging up and I will present more impressions later after having a chance to play with it (the player).
wink_face.gif

One last thing...I checked and my player already has the 1.0 Firmware loaded on it...of course, YMMV.
Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,769 of 7,088

I noticed that too.
biggrin.gif

-HK sends

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,770 of 7,088

How about scrolling wheel?  X3ii had this click feedback action as you rotate it, is it the same with X5ii or does it glide smoothly without any noticeable resistance-feedback?

scroll wheel feels the exact same as the X3II to me personally. i believe this will be the standard from this point onwards. i'd say its the exact same wheel. same little clicky feeling as i scroll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back