FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 21, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,726 of 7,088
  I probably won't use them either...I'd rather them offer up an option for a carbon fiber shell for the player. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

That would be cool, wouldn't it?

Maybe for the X7ii or X5iii...
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,727 of 7,088
  These photos make it look very nice.

/I wonder if they are removable without leaving bad traces though.

I had some of the carbon stickers on my X3ii when I first got it, and removed a couple. No residue. Come off easily and re-usable.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,728 of 7,088
  Ok. To be fair, they are well-made and nicely textured.

I just can't see WHY you'd use them, when the chassis looks so nice. A screen-protector is one thing. When that scratches it hurts the display. But brushed metal only deepens in beauty with a few dings and scuffs. That's my feeling, at least. We all like different things. That's what my doctor says.

i completely agree dude. i just included em cuz they were part of the package. why someone would cover up beautiful brushed metal is beyond me. that usa flag one in particular was just god-awful.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #1,729 of 7,088
i completely agree dude. i just included em cuz they were part of the package. why someone would cover up beautiful brushed metal is beyond me. that usa flag one in particular was just god-awful.

Never fear. The unit you sold me will never know the touch of them inserts. :)

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,732 of 7,088
  That's good if I decide to "woodie" my DAP! 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Wood is only marginally better than the stars & stripes theme... the only one I could see doing (and minimally at most) is the carbon... have the back of my X3ii carbonized, and there rest naked metal.

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,738 of 7,088
I have both the X5 and X3II now, and the size/weight disparity is, well, sobering. 

As expected, the X5 is clearly better in SQ in every respect: HO, LO, DAC, but the X3II fares pretty darn well in the LO and DAC comparisons. 

I'll be reading more of the reviews regarding X5/X5II comparisons. If there is any appreciable difference in SQ between the X5 and X5II, it might be worth the investment. 

IMO, the SQ differences between the X5 and X3II are readily apparent. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,739 of 7,088
Hello all

I'm new to this forum (well, I've been reading about the FiiO x3ii and now the FiiO x5ii players for some weeks now).

I'm certainly no expert as many of you here are but I do love listening to music (mostly orchestral \ synth based melodic \ amibient music eg JMJ, Vangelis, Oldfield, Tangerine Dream & many many more you've probably never heard of).

My current & only mp3 player is the Creative ZEN Vision-M (60Gb HDD) which I've had since it was first released (about 10 years ago!) & my earphones are Sennheiser MX365's.

It is about time I upgraded (big style).

I am definitely liking what I have read about the x5ii but could I ask the following questions:-

1. Memory cards

The x5ii will take 2 x 128Gb SD cards - I have been looking at prices (I am from the UK) for the class 10 known brand SDXC cards and they very expensive for what they are.

I have also read that the SD card slots in the x5ii do not have dust covers and therefore it might be wise to have cards in both slots.

So, my question is, if I bought 2 x 64Gb class 10 sdxc cards (from a known brand) then will they work just as well (will the smaller capacity actually improve search time for tracks?)

If anyone can recommend any specific SD card (brand, model etc) or any to stay away from then I would be grateful.

2. Folder structure & TAG's

I always add TAG information to my tracks (most of my tracks are high end mp3 (320) but I do have many FLAC format tracks too).  I have a very ordered folder structure too but how many folder levels can be used on the FiiO x5ii?

3. Earphones \ Headphones

I have always used earphones when using my mp3 player - easier to put into my pocket when not in use.   I certainly want to buy some earphones that will do the x5ii justice but I do not want to spend silly money either - there is a law of diminishing returns here.  I am prepared to pay up to £100 but if the majority of you would say that I need to be looking at spending more then please post some suggestions.

Once I have bought my new music player and earphones then I hope to still be using them in many years time.

Many thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Keith

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #1,740 of 7,088
Hello all

I'm new to this forum (well, I've been reading about the FiiO x3ii and now the FiiO x5ii players for some weeks now).

I'm certainly no expert as many of you here are but I do love listening to music (mostly orchestral \ synth based melodic \ amibient music eg JMJ, Vangelis, Oldfield, Tangerine Dream & many many more you've probably never heard of).

My current & only mp3 player is the Creative ZEN Vision-M (60Gb HDD) which I've had since it was first released (about 10 years ago!) & my earphones are Sennheiser MX365's.

It is about time I upgraded (big style).

I am definitely liking what I have read about the x5ii but could I ask the following questions:-

1. Memory cards

The x5ii will take 2 x 128Gb SD cards - I have been looking at prices (I am from the UK) for the class 10 known brand SDXC cards and they very expensive for what they are.

I have also read that the SD card slots in the x5ii do not have dust covers and therefore it might be wise to have cards in both slots.

So, my question is, if I bought 2 x 64Gb class 10 sdxc cards (from a known brand) then will they work just as well (will the smaller capacity actually improve search time for tracks?)

If anyone can recommend any specific SD card (brand, model etc) or any to stay away from then I would be grateful.

2. Folder structure & TAG's

I always add TAG information to my tracks (most of my tracks are high end mp3 (320) but I do have many FLAC format tracks too).  I have a very ordered folder structure too but how many folder levels can be used on the FiiO x5ii?

3. Earphones \ Headphones

I have always used earphones when using my mp3 player - easier to put into my pocket when not in use.   I certainly want to buy some earphones that will do the x5ii justice but I do not want to spend silly money either - there is a law of diminishing returns here.  I am prepared to pay up to £100 but if the majority of you would say that I need to be looking at spending more then please post some suggestions.

Once I have bought my new music player and earphones then I hope to still be using them in many years time.

Many thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Keith

1. No worries using 2 64gb cards. I use Sandisk, but any reputable brand will be fine (from a reputable source) as long as you format the cards with the player. Go to settings and select format and then choose which card to format. The smaller capacity won't make a difference to search time given the same class of card.

2. No limit reported so far.

3. I'll defer to more knowledgable people in your price bracket for IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back