FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 2, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #976 of 7,088
I've not had any problems with OTG with my X5 apart from an increased battery drain.

By firmware I'm referring to the 2nd Gen GUI and general usability. I know this will be subjective, but there have been no comments so far as to whether it is better, worse or similar to original. All I know is it has 5 top-level choices instead of 7.
Edit: the specs from the post above show a digital pot for volume control :confused:

I'm pretty sure it's analogue. This from the list of improvements:

"3. All-new independent amplification stage with analogue volume control, increasing audio resolution and enabling feature for native DSD decoding "

Looking at the comparison chart in the link above I'd say it's not the first time I've seen typos from FiiO. Didn't Joe or James already confirm a new analogue volume control?

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #977 of 7,088
My recommendation is to charge fully and whenever convenient, and there is no need to discharge the battery fully at any occasion unless you're fussed about calibrating the battery gauge to be accurate to the last 1% (the X5 doesn't even show its battery level in %!)

My years-old E17 is still trucking along like a champ
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok!

But what do you think is the best for longer battery life span, so it may take more charging cycles: charging with lower amperes 0,5A with with longer current time, or higher amperes 2A with shorter current time?

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #978 of 7,088
My recommendation is to charge fully and whenever convenient, and there is no need to discharge the battery fully at any occasion unless you're fussed about calibrating the battery gauge to be accurate to the last 1% (the X5 doesn't even show its battery level in %!)

My years-old E17 is still trucking along like a champ
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok!

But what do you think is the best for longer battery life span, so it may take more charging cycles: charging with lower amperes 0,5A with with longer current time, or higher amperes 2A with shorter current time?

+1, I would be interested to know this.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #979 of 7,088
I'm pretty sure it's analogue. This from the list of improvements:

"3. All-new independent amplification stage with analogue volume control, increasing audio resolution and enabling feature for native DSD decoding "

Looking at the comparison chart in the link above I'd say it's not the first time I've seen typos from FiiO. Didn't Joe or James already confirm a new analogue volume control?

Volume control in X5II, unlike X5, is implemented (if to follow the specs in X52ndgen--introliterature.doc posted by Joe) via a dedicated digitally controlled chip based on analogue elements-PGA 2311 by Texas instruments: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/sbos218a/sbos218a.pdf It's called DIGITALLY-CONTROLLED ANALOG VOLUME CONTROL. So, in essence, it's an analog volume control. And there is no need to fear of additional distortion in the circuitry generated by this chip cause it's THD+N are much lower than those actual ones, which you get after the DAC chip, while Dynamic Range and Channel Crosstalk are higher. It's natural, because all such chips are designed to have the minimum impact on the whole circuitry,not to be a bottleneck, thus being ahead in the specs of the other elements.
On the other hand, each element affects the general performance to a certain extent and analog volume control potentiometers are no exception. While they are claimed by some manufacturers to be the "best solutions", they also have their inherent problems (channel imbalance, etc). So, volume knobs are just another option, sometimes more expensive, more stylish (foppish), but not those, which can save the poorly designed DAP from sounding the way it does or those, which make audible difference (if to compare to properly implemented PGA 2311 or similar solutions)  

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #980 of 7,088
Thanks for the detailed response.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #981 of 7,088
I think it's odd that with the "deep sleep / instant on" feature, there's still a choice to postpone sleep for up to 8 minutes of inactivity. I just set it to the minimum, since that seems like it'd conserve battery life the best. It defaults to 5min or so.

Joe Bloggs - Can you please shed some light on this?

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #984 of 7,088
  so no mention of  DSD64, DSD128 (.iso&.dsf & .dff); like x3ii
oh i see .dsf & .dff

I am not particularly savvy with regard to DSD file types.  I did previously post, and stand by the comment, that the DSD files I played on the evaluation unit sounded terrific.  As if I was in the control room listening to original master tapes.

Other than that what would you want to know?

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #985 of 7,088
  I am not particularly savvy with regard to DSD file tipes.  I did previously post, and stand by the comment, that the DSD files I played on the evaluation unit sounded terrific.  As if I was in the control room listening to original master tapes.

Other than that what would you want to know?

i thought there was an sacd iso function on the x5ii, just as there is on the x3ii.  Fiio own data,  http://m.fiio.net/en/products/41/comparisons makes no mention of it, their mistake i reckon.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #986 of 7,088
smily_headphones1.gif
Ok. So has anyone as of Yet directly Reviewed and A/B'd the X3ii to the X5ii? From what I've read, I'm still favoring the X3ii especially on a price point v.s. performance scale, until someone changes my mind.

My mind, (what's left of it), is a terrible thing to waste.
rolleyes.gif

ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
TWIN

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #987 of 7,088

smily_headphones1.gif
Ok. So has anyone as of Yet directly Reviewed and A/B'd the X3ii to the X5ii? From what I've read, I'm still favoring the X3ii especially on a price point v.s. performance scale, until someone changes my mind.

My mind, (what's left of it), is a terrible thing to waste.
rolleyes.gif

ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
TWIN

Yes. If I didn't already own an X5, I think I would be more tempted by the X3ii than the X5ii, whereas the opposite was the case for the original models.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #988 of 7,088

Yes. If I didn't already own an X5, I think I would be more tempted by the X3ii than the X5ii, whereas the opposite was the case for the original models.

smily_headphones1.gif
Yes. I currently have both the X1 and X5 original, and for most general listening I actually prefer the Warmer X1 with an amp.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #990 of 7,088
  I'll take the X5 SG over the X5 and X3 SG any time
cool.gif

Good to hear you say that, tell us more, any opinions on the X5ii so far have been very few and sketchy?????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back