FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #888 of 7,088
Originally Posted by Dobrescu George 

I am quite curious if X5II is able to use EQ with high resolution.

My thoughts:

On the X3 Gen II the EQ was greyed out when it could not operate. So you knew that the unit could not provide EQ for material at 24 bit 88 khz or above, and also DSD.

On the X5, the EQ (at least on the line out) shows it is working at higher bit rates.  However, my testing using ears does not show the EQ working at the higher bit rates either.

As far as sound goes, I am only three days into my testing.   So far I think it is a bit more detailed than the X3 Gen II.  I think very critical listeners will hear even more details than on the X3. 

I do notice myself paying more attention to how music sources are mixed; but that may be a function of listening too much from a critical perspective.  Until playing with this unit, I had not payed that much attention to how high vocals were in the mix relative to guitars and piano on classic rock.  I have listened intently to three sources:   Rod Stewart (Every Picture Tells a Story), The Who (Who by Numbers), and Led Zeppelin (Houses o the Holy).  All of those were from 24-88 or greater sources. 

That critical listening led me to fiddling with EQ when I realized that I thought those three sources had not enough vocal levels to my taste.

I think the key ingredient on this unit, from my perspective, is how demanding one's headphones are.  This unit would fit nicely with those who have cans the require quite a bit of power to perform well.  Which seems to describe quite a few Head-Fi participants.

May 28, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #889 of 7,088
Sorry to bounce in midstream, but I read a post that Sandisk 200GB microSDs are now out.  The price is US$249.00 compared to 128GB at US$79.00 on Amazon.ca
The price dif., is unthinkable, but there they be.
I wonder if the X5II can handle these yet.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQUAN-032G-G4A-Version/dp/B00M55C0NS/ref=pd_sim_147_8?ie=UTF8refRID=0CK3EH5KKP40C0VJV4ZV

May 28, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #890 of 7,088
Sorry to bounce in midstream, but I read a post that Sandisk 200GB microSDs are now out.  The price is US$249.00 compared to 128GB at US$79.00 on Amazon.ca
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQUAN-032G-G4A-Version/dp/B00M55C0NS/ref=pd_sim_147_8?ie=UTF8refRID=0CK3EH5KKP40C0VJV4ZV

They've been announced for a while now, and yes the price is steep. I think the X5 II should be able to handle it. Just like when 128gb cards arrived they just worked right out of the package.

May 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #892 of 7,088
Much different implementation of the same DAC. For example, native DSD is now available. Also, dual oscillators for better timing and jitter reduction. I'd go for the X5 II as its release is just around the corner and is the same price (unless someone is having a fire sale on the gen1).

What about battery life and sound quality different? Is x5ii completely better than X5?

May 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #893 of 7,088
The battery specs are about the same as the X5 gen1 but now there is much better sleep management. You can leave in to standby for a couple weeks according to FiiO and have instant on functionality. Read the first post for all the details so far.

There's still very little real world reports on battery life so we need to be a bit more patient.

May 28, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #894 of 7,088

Feel free to send me one ASAP, and I'll test it for you :wink_face:

What about battery life and sound quality different? Is x5ii completely better than X5?

Haven't done any A/B testing yet, but X5ii sounds good.

Battery life seems good, and the deep sleep / instant on functionality is great - no need to wait for boot every time you want to listen. LOVE IT!!!

The power button is slightly raised. I'd prefer it to be flush with body like the new X3.

Been rockin' it in my jeans pockets and haven't had any accidental button presses.

Over & out :L3000:

May 29, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #895 of 7,088
The battery specs are about the same as the X5 gen1 but now there is much better sleep management. You can leave in to standby for a couple weeks according to FiiO and have instant on functionality. Read the first post for all the details so far.

There's still very little real world reports on battery life so we need to be a bit more patient.

That's impressive like Apple ipods. I think i will wait and get one.

May 29, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #896 of 7,088

Unfortunately not even a mention about 200GB microSD on German Amazon. I'm running out of memory!

May 29, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #897 of 7,088
May 29, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #898 of 7,088
  Sorry to bounce in midstream, but I read a post that Sandisk 200GB microSDs are now out.

Truly incredible that we can walk around with such stellar sound (I'm only commenting on the X5 classic here) and 400GB! Even at hi-res that's a pile of music 
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #900 of 7,088
  Truly incredible that we can walk around with such stellar sound (I'm only commenting on the X5 classic here) and 400GB! Even at hi-res that's a pile of music 
biggrin.gif

You would be amazed at how much space DSD files can consume.  That 256gb of space can be demolished quite quickly. 

I think that native DSD processing is a pretty nifty feature.  That first arrived on the X3 Gen II.   On the X5 Gen 2 playing DSD I sometimes get the feeling that I am sitting at the control room in the studio listening to the original analog playback tapes.  I sometimes get that feeling at 24 - 88 PCM and above; but consistently get that feeling with the DSD files that I tried.   I have had SACD and DVD Audio sources for quite a while, but in many cases the DSD files have been converted at some point in the chain to PCM so I never got the full impact of true DSD decoding.  Now we finally get that option, and I am more impressed than I thought I would be.  I know that many people think SACD was created mainly to thwart copyright infringement and free copying of files; but I am starting to become a believer that DSD when properly implemented can have its place. 

Spoiler alert:  A key reason to purchase the X5 series is the two ports for microSD.  I agree that having a lot of storage is a big deal.

Unfortunately, I am finding the OTG capability on the new X5 to be far less reliable than on the X3 so far.  II do not recommend the second generation units for OTG usage at this time.  FIIO is aware of the OTG issue with the new machines and is looking into solutions.  I just do not want anybody to purchase the unit if they are heavily banking on OTG as a feature for extra storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back