FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,021 of 7,088
nmatheis any DAC difference noted at all? I really wish you've heard the N6 already by the way.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,022 of 7,088
nmatheis any DAC difference noted at all? I really wish you've heard the N6 already by the way.

Haven't tried the DAC functionality. I don't tend to use that feature on my X3 and X5 very often even though it's easy, since I'm a Mac user. Another area Fiio beats iBasso - absolutely no support for Macs with iBasso's DAC functionality.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,023 of 7,088
Haven't tried the DAC functionality. I don't tend to use that feature on my X3 and X5 very often even though it's easy, since I'm a Mac user. Another area Fiio beats iBasso - absolutely no support for Macs with iBasso's DAC functionality.

No, I'm talking LO, noting any extra clarity or detail from the DAC, not that gen1 was a slouch in this area. Just curious until I get to try it.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,024 of 7,088
Don't forget another Canadian sound in speakers...... Energy.

I'm looking at the X5 II from a portable usability standpoint as my current X5 will live permanently with my desktop setup because of the separate coaxial output. It looks like the biggest hardware improvements are the amp section, but the new gen seems to improve the DAC implementation as well. Whether there is a noticable improvement in sound or not is what I'm waiting to test when the tour unit comes my way. I don't think it will be an Earth shattering difference though.

I will be comparing both DAC outs for the same reason.  I'll run the DAC to a Schiit Lyr 2 and LCD-3s and can A/B the X5/X5v2.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,025 of 7,088
  I will be comparing both DAC outs for the same reason.  I'll run the DAC to a Schiit Lyr 2 and LCD-3s and can A/B the X5/X5v2.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

+1 - I'll be doing the same to LCD2.2's via tubes. Heck I might try it to my main stereo rig given time is available.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,027 of 7,088
No, I'm talking LO, noting any extra clarity or detail from the DAC, not that gen1 was a slouch in this area. Just curious until I get to try it.

Aha! I'm hearing a bit less mid-bass and picking up a bit more sibilance in recordings. My high end hearing is admittedly a bit shot (in my right ear especially), so I'm not going to pick up anything but major differences in the upper end.

After my time with the new X5, I'd certainly recommend it over the old X5 for those seeking a slightly more neutral sound signature than the old X5 - but mostly for the improved user experience.

It's interesting that I just referred to the old X5 as less neutral. I always felt like it was a neutral DAP, but I can now see how someone would think it's a bit warmer than the new X5. Again its subtle - not a night & day difference.

As with the old vs new X3 debate, I can see where some will prefer the "X5 Classic" sound over the newer model.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #1,028 of 7,088
Just been catching up on the recent happenings in this thread.  Rather than multi-quoting, some observations .......

• I know people are looking for observations on the X5ii and how it performs.  But lets get a little "real".  I received my unit on May 22nd.  It had to be fully charged,  I've also had to do two battery tests - which pretty much wastes a day on each.  So between now and then, I've had around 10 days usable reviewing time with the X5ii.  For me personally, I usually spend the first 5-6 days just "using" the unit - getting dialled into it's sound, dealing with the UI, putting it through it's paces. I'm now at the point where I've started critical A/B testing.  I would expect to have some usable information by then end of the coming weekend.

Anyone who thinks they are going to use the X5ii for 2-3 days, and be able to sit down and write an in-depth review is (IMO) kidding themselves.  You'll get impressions - but that is all they will be. I would not be in a race to release a review for this unit - until it has been tested thoroughly.  People will make buying decisions based on what I write - I take that seriously.

• One of the issues with this current set of tours is that with the X3ii I managed to get a pre-release unit.  So I had 4-5 weeks with it before even the tour units went out.  This time - my X5ii arrived late.  Its just the way it is.

• I have to apologise to Ultrainferno - as I know he's probably waiting on me for my information. But I know he's also of a similar mind-set - there is no sense rushing a review if its not going to be accurate.

• For TWIN (and others) - I'll be directly comapring the X5ii to both X3ii and original X5.  This takes time, and is not easy to get right. I do everything volume matched, and there are a lot of tests involved.  Ultra should be covering same.  Hopefully by end of this weekend we might have something ready.

• George - your comment on free samples is understandable - but doesn't wash.  It could also apply to people on the tours (eg want to be on future tours, so be more favourable in comments), or for people who have purchased (want to justify their spending - so are biased favourably).  The thing is - if reviewers "dolly up" their reviews with overly favourable observations and comments, pretty soon people will stop following them, and they will lose their credibility. Might be just my opinion - although I'm sure Ultra will also agree - my personal reputation is more important to me than "offending" a manufacturer. I make it really clear with everyone I deal with thast I'm going to call it like I see it.  Because of that, there are some manufacturers who won't work with me.  IMO that is their loss - not mine.

Last comment. Don't read too much into the fact that there has been little detail or compariosn released yet.  It just means that those who are evaluating are doing things properly.  To me, that is a really good sign.

Like Ultra - I am very much enjoying the X5ii.  You'll have a much better idea of my thoughts in a  few more days.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,029 of 7,088
I have some review samples sent to me. One manufacture wanted me to write how wonderful the product was, but I was basically telling didn't I think it was great. I told them no, it is about middle of the class and I was honest with them. That was the last I heard from them. I did have in inquiry about something and they would not answer. If someone misrepresents what they hear just to get some product sent to them, they cheat those who believe what they have written when it is not the truth. To me that is like stealing from them. 
-----

On the 5XII, I have listened to it with the HE1000 and it does surprisingly well. I have also used the line out into my RM DIY amp and it does great as a line out source. It is surprising on the HE1000 how clean and layered the sound is with the II. I find the II to be more open and transparent than the 5X. Less warm but in a good, natural way. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,030 of 7,088
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't Rush Brooko and other reviewers. We all want unbiased clear cut info on the performance (me) and UI (others) of these new units.

You guys are what stand between us and buyer's remorse.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,031 of 7,088
If anyone is getting rid of their 1st gen X5, I'll give you $200 for it.

My current DAP is just my GalaxyS4>OTG>DragonFly1.2. Could really use a nicer setup, and the X5 should suit well.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,033 of 7,088
Uhm... hope I'm not jumping the gun here by putting up my review after "only" 10 days with the X5ii, but my review is done and published. Not technical at all (not my thing), so won't be answering all the questions folks have, but I've tried to be honest, detailed and fair. Time to pass on the tour unit to the next lucky camper... sigh.

Link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13288

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,034 of 7,088
I have only one question though. 

While I do understand that reviewers might had taken my words in a wrong way, I am just saying that being sincere is the most important aspect to reviewing a thing. I am just saying that picking the right words to describe something is harder than it looks. For me, fiinding a good, sincere, unbiased review about ie800 that points out everything was hard.

This is why I am thankfull to people like @Brooko and @Ultrainferno for doing sincere and to point reviews.

If I will ever do a review, I am sure to make it as un-biased and to point as possible. When I reviewed E12a, I have been extremely enthusiastic with it because it fared better than I expected when I compared it with desktop >1000$ amps. This is something that Fiio should be proud of. Though, I had not heared enough to say that it is the best, it had the best price/performance ratio I found in Romania to test or buy
etysmile.gif

This is how my review of ie800 looks like, while I try to be un-biased. Please advice, if I done it wrong for a review. http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-ie800/reviews/13293

Now my question. If anybody can, the one thing that really stands before me and buying the new x5II, is the reliability of the jacks. Why are they different, why use plastic instead of metal, how reliable is it? Lots of devices are also using plastic, and it is fine, but I was curious if it is better or worse for the cables and how does it feel.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #1,035 of 7,088
  I have only one question though. 

If anybody can, the one thing that really stands before me and buying the new x5II, is the reliability of the jacks. Why are they different, why use plastic instead of metal, how reliable is it? Lots of devices are also using plastic, and it is fine, but I was curious if it is better or worse for the cables and how does it feel.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back