FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 4, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #4,546 of 7,088
thanks guys for the quick replies, appreciate it a lot :) too bad it doesnt work... need a player right now and having it work with an iPhone would have been a big bonus. @x RELIC x - thanks for the suggestions, yeah the mojo is on the radar, just saving up for it :)

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #4,547 of 7,088
  I was hoping to receive a protective silicone sleeve for the X5II - like the one X5 came with.  It didn't - it came with a half-shell clear cover that doesn't protect much.

Will these silicone covers become available - does anyone know ?

Fiio discontinued the silicone cases and replaced them with the clear plastic ones. They said that they got a lot of complaints about the silicone cases having a bad smell which I never noticed myself and I agree with you...I like the silicone cases better too. You can email Fiio and ask them to send you a case. They will only ask you to pay the shipping if they still have any in stock and they probably do because I got one less then a month ago.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #4,548 of 7,088
  Fiio discontinued the silicone cases and replaced them with the clear plastic ones. They said that they got a lot of complaints about the silicone cases having a bad smell which I never noticed myself and I agree with you...I like the silicone cases better too. You can email Fiio and ask them to send you a case. They will only ask you to pay the shipping if they still have any in stock and they probably do because I got one less then a month ago.

bruce1967
Thanks for the info. - I will try to do this :)

Thomas

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #4,549 of 7,088

bruce1967
Thanks for the info. - I will try to do this :)

Thomas

You're welcome. It doesn't cost very much so I actually got two. It does take quite a long time for them to get here...about a month from where they are in China to here in Canada. Here is the email address support@fiio.net. Just ask them if they have any silicone cases for the X5ii and tell them how many you want and if they have them and ask for a link to the payment on aliexpress.

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #4,550 of 7,088
  You're welcome. It doesn't cost very much so I actually got two. It does take quite a long time for them to get here...about a month from where they are in China to here in Canada. Here is the email address support@fiio.net. Just ask them if they have any silicone cases for the X5ii and tell them how many you want and if they have them and ask for a link to the payment on aliexpress.

Thanks for the detail - I've sent off an e-mail... and am awaiting a reply (with fingers crossed they still have them)

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #4,553 of 7,088
Just got my X5ii yesterday and it's pretty great.

One question I have is when I put music on the X5 and then go to play by category, there is an extra copy of the song which doesn't play.

Example (using "All songs"):

02 It Is Well.m4a (plays with no problem) then the extra copy......
._02 It Is Well.m4a (says file not supported).

What is this copy supposed to be? Is this normal? Any input is much appreciated!

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #4,554 of 7,088
Just got my X5ii yesterday and it's pretty great.

One question I have is when I put music on the X5 and then go to play by category, there is an extra copy of the song which doesn't play.

Example (using "All songs"):

02 It Is Well.m4a (plays with no problem) then the extra copy......
._02 It Is Well.m4a (says file not supported).

What is this copy supposed to be? Is this normal? Any input is much appreciated!

It means you're using a Mac and the X5ii doesn't know what to do with the extra indexing files OS X puts on there. Use a program like 'Eject For Windows' to eject your cards and they will be removed.

Edit: FiiO fixed this issue a while ago on other players so I'm not sure why they have regressed here.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #4,556 of 7,088
I have a question about file support for this device. I own the Fiio X5 2nd gen and absolutely love it! I was just reading about a new file format that has come out from Meridian audio and I was wondering if and when this device will support the new format? It apparently came out next year but is now just starting to take off. The format is abbreviated MQA and what little info about it can be found here: https://www.meridian-audio.com/sounds-too-good-but-true/

It would cool if this device can be updated via firmware to support it someday. Especially if the format really takes off.

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #4,557 of 7,088
  I have a question about file support for this device. I own the Fiio X5 2nd gen and absolutely love it! I was just reading about a new file format that has come out from Meridian audio and I was wondering if and when this device will support the new format? It apparently came out next year but is now just starting to take off. The format is abbreviated MQA and what little info about it can be found here: https://www.meridian-audio.com/sounds-too-good-but-true/

It would cool if this device can be updated via firmware to support it someday. Especially if the format really takes off.

That format seems like it would be a smaller lossy format. This has been done already, ogg at lvl 10 is already amazing, if it will be lossy, it will be lossy. Lossless is lossless. After reading the page it seems that the format needs dedicated hardware, so I doubt that X5II will support it until X5III or the follow-up will be released. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #4,558 of 7,088
That format seems like it would be a smaller lossy format. This has been done already, ogg at lvl 10 is already amazing, if it will be lossy, it will be lossy. Lossless is lossless. After reading the page it seems that the format needs dedicated hardware, so I doubt that X5II will support it until X5III or the follow-up will be released. 

If interested give these a watch. Besides going in to a lot of depth about the time domain and frequency samples, this Dutch fella breaks down MQA in a very easy to understand way.

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wxRGiBoJg[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5o6XHVK2HA[/VIDEO]

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #4,559 of 7,088
Thanks, @x RELIC x

After seeing the entire thing, I am sure that they did something nice to lossy compression, but it is lossy still, not lossless. Though I will be one of the few more than happy to hear something better than 320 mp3, (as I was when I discovered OGG) it still will not be lossless, which is not what I wanted, I want pure lossless. (more of a fix of having the exact file as on CD, because between ogg lvl 10 and flac the differences were pretty hard to notice) .

I still have so many questions about this new thing, the biggest questions would be if it will consume more processing power for decoding (like ogg burns the battery of portable devices much faster than either flac or mp3). And if this format will become a thing. I mean, we do know that mp3 is already a standard when it comes to music, being very mainstream. So, the most important aspect for the new format is if it will be adopted by people. 

Ogg is amazing for what it is, but never adopted widely. If this thing will be, the better. I am not against getting a new lossy format, as long as it sounds better than mp3, but I really wish we would get a new standard (like an 640 kbps mp3?
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back