FiiO X3 vs. Sony NWZ-F805 vs. iBasso DX50: quick comparison
Oct 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #31 of 46
Also just to say that I have now sold both the F805 and X3 in favor of the iBasso DX50. The DX50 seems to be a cross between the F805 and X3 in that the resolving mids of the F805 are combined with the musicality and soundstage of the X3. It is not perfect but then nothing is! 

I recently went to London and had a chance to try the DX50 with some Sennheiser HD800, B&O H6, Denon AH-D600 and Philips X1 headphones. I have to say I was incredibly impressed and the DX50 performed admirably and gave me the confidence it can drive pretty much anything with ease. With my Westones it performs brilliantly, probably have to spend a lot more money to beat it! :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #34 of 46
A bit off topic, but I need to know: Could the Z1050 be at the same level of resolution of the F805? I'm a bit worried about the "lack" of bass in the F.

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #35 of 46
I can't answer that, perhaps someone who has listened to both sees this. 
For me the F805 is not lacking bass and I haven't had a player or amp that really lacked bass. For example the AD8066 opamp in the D4 had better bass than OPA1612 that I use now, and stock X3 had more prominent bass than my modded X3 or iBasso D4 or even my Meier Stepdance, but for me bass-quality is more important and that certainly is not missing in any of my amps/DAPs. Of all my players the Clip+ has the least quantity and quality bass but I haven't felt I was missing much. But stock X3 against F805 will give you a more agressive presentation and it has a higher perceptible SQ, but I found it too edgy and compared to my other setups lacking in depth and width. F805 has an even smaller soundstage but the way it presents itself makes more than up for it.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #39 of 46
Also just to say that I have now sold both the F805 and X3 in favor of the iBasso DX50. The DX50 seems to be a cross between the F805 and X3 in that the resolving mids of the F805 are combined with the musicality and soundstage of the X3. It is not perfect but then nothing is! 

I recently went to London and had a chance to try the DX50 with some Sennheiser HD800, B&O H6, Denon AH-D600 and Philips X1 headphones. I have to say I was incredibly impressed and the DX50 performed admirably and gave me the confidence it can drive pretty much anything with ease. With my Westones it performs brilliantly, probably have to spend a lot more money to beat it! :)

Thanks for the comparison. It makes my decision that much easier.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #43 of 46
I made update to all , and now in April 2014 it has Android version 4.0.4 , Kernal version 2.6.39.4,music player 1.4.3, Build number 1.12.0004 ( it has Firmware up-date version 1.12 ) and now the sound it's very disappointing : weak bass ( anyway headphones have frequency range starting from 20 Hz - 20 kHz ) , in surround sound - Studio, with initial software, the sound was very well defined , now in surround sound - Studio, the sound is clogged and now if you want a clear sound you have to listen music with surround sound - Off . When I bought this walkman, with initial software, the sound was very well defined and I don't understand how engineers from Sony managed to ruin the sound . I have a phone Sony , model LT26i , i made update to all, and the sound is much better defined . I bought that walkman ( Sony NWZ-F805 ) because I like to listen music , and Sony praise with headphones with explosive bass ( but does not , because they are limited at 20 Hz) , Sony praise with S-Master MX amplifier and DSEE ( Digital Sound Enhancement Engine ) , but in the end with the latest up-dates from Sony , the sound is very disappointing for a Sony walkman .

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #44 of 46
 On 23.apr.2014 Sony released a new firmware for NWZ-F804 / F805 / F806 version 1.13 , and now the sound in surround - studio, sounds good , but still with weak bass . With the same settings on sound, on my Sony phone LT26i , the bass is a little more pronounced and deeper , which makes the audition much more enjoyable ; it's a shame that the sound on a Sony walkman in 2014 it's so boring .

I miss the sound on a old walkman tape player Sony with the Groove function, then, the sound engineers from Sony really knew how to adjust the sound , this is why so many buyers now are not buying Sony products .

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #45 of 46
Anyone have any opinions on iBasso vs. Sony A17?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZA17SLV-Hi-Res-Digital/dp/B00OCJRX8C/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428982395&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+walkman

There are so many different walkmans I'm not sure which one to compare it to, but this one seems in the same price range so I chose it.

I'm thinking about a DX50, however the walkman interface looks far superior. I'm mostly curious about sound quality, but even if the walkman isn't as good I'd consider it due to the superior interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back