Fiio X3 vs Fiio X5: A matter of sound...
Aug 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #46 of 59
Wicked cheers! How about the DX90? Had a chance to listen to that with the m100s at all? I'm now looking at x5 or dx90 lol :)

I haven't heard the dx90 but from what I've read it's very clear (likely the ESS9018K2M DAC chips) and some find it too bright and more forward than the X5. It may pair well with the m-100 given that the bass is quite heavy on those cans. To get closer to my LCD cans I need to EQ the m-100 bass down by around -6db, but YMMV.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #47 of 59
I haven't heard the dx90 but from what I've read it's very clear (likely the ESS9018K2M DAC chips) and some find it too bright and more forward than the X5. It may pair well with the m-100 given that the bass is quite heavy on those cans. To get closer to my LCD cans I need to EQ the m-100 bass down by around -6db, but YMMV.

Cheers dude, yeah thats what I was kinda thinking of, the m100 have that solid bass support and the brightness of the DX90 might lift it elsewhere to give it that all round improvement :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #50 of 59
Resuscitating this thread for a question: if I plan on using the coax out to output to an ifi Micro iDSD, will there be much difference between the X3 and X5?

Coaxial out will simply pass on the data to be decoded by the DAC in the iDSD, so no difference should be noted there. Unless you want to use EQ which the X5 can pass through coax because it's implemented digitally. The X3 can not pass on any EQ as it is analogue and happens at the amp stage.

The UI and reliability are superior on the X5 IMO.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #51 of 59
I’ve been using x3 for a pretty long time. Mostly paired with Beyerdynamic 770 pro 32 ohm. The sound that x3 can produce with this pair of headphones is simply amazing. Recently I decided to try x5, for I though it should be better in sound. However, I was wrong. The sound of x5 just doesn’t work for me.
I ordered x5 with pair of Vsonic GR 07 Bass Edition. I like a little bit more bass in music, and the absence of possibility to change bass in x5 is really frustrating me. In x3 you can easily adjust bass and treble to the level that you need, but in x5 there is just a horrible equalizer that better not use to. For me there just not enough bass, especially paired with Vsonic GR 07 BE. Paired with Beyerdynamic there is pretty enough bass for the normal person, but If you are a basshead person like I am you better go with x3. X3 with both headphones is amazingly super awesome!!! GR 07 BE is so good with x3, and to workout with them is pure pleasure. Mostly I listen heavy music like August Burns Red, Bring Me The Horizon, Her Name In Blood, etc., and a little bit of Dubstep like Skrillex. For that kind of music x3 is epic win. I will stay with x3 and return x5 to Amazon. I thinking about trying x1, and I will write my opinion on that one soon.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #52 of 59
Hi, this is my first post! I've been a long time lurker but I have a burning question and couldn't really find a good answer..

I compared the Cowon J3 vs the Fiio X5 and they sounded almost identical at a flat EQ. I played 16 bit flac files for both paired with the Audio Technica M50. The J3 has been great for me, but the DAC capability of the Fiio is very tempting. I'm wondering, does it matter what kind of player I get whether it be the X3, X5, or J3 if I'm playing flac files? I'm thinking that the limiting factor is the headphones and not the player..

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #53 of 59
Headphones play a more significant role in what you hear, IMHO. I've owned quite a few daps, some I can't tell the difference, some are very noticeable. Headphones, different story for the most part. I yet to hear the X5, but own X3 and X1, which sound similar but I can pick doing a blind test. I also own or have owned a few AK units, and for the newer models, I can't tell doing a blind test.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #57 of 59
I have DT 770's but the 250 model. Currently mostly driven via Fiio Alpen E17 off my PC via USB. Part of the reason for the E17 over other choices at the time was the 250 ohm drivers in the headphones and an amp suitable to drive them.

One reviewer earlier in the post stated he complemented his X3 with an E12 to better drive headphones.

I'd guess the 22.5V dual ended power supplies of the X5 would be more suited for 250 ohm headphones

How well does the X3 drive 250 ohm headphones vs the X5? Adding an amp like E12 or anything to X3 otherwise seems non starter as one is then at bulk+price of X5.

As a possible tie breaker I'm planning on doing the MS1000 conversion build so hearing experiences of X3 & X5 with MS1000 would be great and may help tip the scales.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #58 of 59
I have DT 770's but the 250 model. Currently mostly driven via Fiio Alpen E17 off my PC via USB. Part of the reason for the E17 over other choices at the time was the 250 ohm drivers in the headphones and an amp suitable to drive them.

One reviewer earlier in the post stated he complemented his X3 with an E12 to better drive headphones.

I'd guess the 22.5V dual ended power supplies of the X5 would be more suited for 250 ohm headphones

How well does the X3 drive 250 ohm headphones vs the X5? Adding an amp like E12 or anything to X3 otherwise seems non starter as one is then at bulk+price of X5.

As a possible tie breaker I'm planning on doing the MS1000 conversion build so hearing experiences of X3 & X5 with MS1000 would be great and may help tip the scales.

The current X3 has the same hardware as the e17 so you'd be looking at an e17 with playback capability. The X5 is slightly less powerful in the amp than the X3 but the DAC is more natural and resolving. Both players will have no problem with 250 Ohm headphones. The e12 is twice as powerful as either DAP and can easily power almost any headphone out there, including I hear the HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back