Fiio X3 Nightmare
Oct 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #31 of 91
  After loading files to the card directly on the PC or thru the X3 they appear to be ok. As soon as I try to browse to them on the X3 all but about 2 GB(I'm usually loading only about 15 GBs of music) disappear leaving empty Artists folders and no albums or music files........

Yes, I have tried allowing the X3 update the library automatically and have updated manually and also reset the X3 .... All things the Fiio people in china suggested and nothing happens different. Here is really the strange thing... when checking under system settings on the unit is shows about 15 GB being used...
Reinserting the SD card into the computer shows the same thing .... it's like part of FAT table has been erased.

So, wait. You put 15 gigs or so on the card. 
It recognizes everything at first.
The you go into "Browse" in the FiiO, start navigating folders and can't find the files?

OR, are you actually going to the "Artist" or "Album" menus and can't find all but approximately 2GB of music?

Their database management is definitely not the best. I actually copied a bunch of files (5000+) and the database update only recognized 3000+ or so. BUT if I go to the folders directly (using the "Browse" menu), I can find everything.

So which is it? You can't even see the files in the "Browse" menu?
Or you can't see the files when going through the "Artists"/"Albums" menu?

One thing that was suggested to me and seems to work a bit is to copy a few files, update library, copy more files, update library, etc. (I need to keep doing that to see if it recognizes everything or if maybe the culprit is some badly tagged files!)

Also, try deleting the database first (there's a link somewhere here!).

This is what I meant about nonsense ... firmware version FW1.31   which was the latest a few days ago..

Be grateful that someone is taking a few minutes of their time to reply!
Being an ass wont help you here nor in life.

And welcome to head-fi!
Thanks!

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #34 of 91
Nov 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #36 of 91
I received my 3rd unit (thank you Amazon's easy return policy). I used the Fat32 SD card formatter on the FiiO website and downloaded and installed the latest firmware 2.05.... This is a little confusing because the earlier version 1.31 has a later date than version 2.05. So which is actually the newer version?

I still have exactly the same issue as the other two units. The number of folders/files loaded/recognized on an SD card appears to be limited that can be read by the X3.

I noticed that FiiO people said they will stop responding on this forum as they are receiving too many questions.....and will respond only to direct e-mail inquiries.... HUH?

Think "Hear no evil, See no evil, Speak no evil" !

I will wait a little while to see if they actually resolve this MAJOR issue as I do actually like the player...but as a $200 8GB FLAC player it's a little steep. Buy the Sansa 32GB clip player for $31.95 and save a lot of money and it works as advertised...there are other decent units as well....

I'll keep checking back.....

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #37 of 91
  I received my 3rd unit (thank you Amazon's easy return policy). I used the Fat32 SD card formatter on the FiiO website and downloaded and installed the latest firmware 2.05.... This is a little confusing because the earlier version 1.31 has a later date than version 2.05. So which is actually the newer version?

The latest version is 2.05

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #38 of 91
FIIO and others continue to say that the file problem might have to do with the way the files are tagged or how the SD cards are formatted of the cards themselves.

When transferring music to the X3 :

1) all Folders ....... genres, artists, albums, files are arranged exactly the same way.
2) All CD's were ripped to FLAC using the same software .... dBPoweramp on the same computer around the same time all tagged the same way.
3) I have tried several different brands (Kingston, Metadata, Sansa) and sizes (32 & 64 GB) SD cards.
4) I have used several different programs to format the cards to FAT32 including the one downloaded from the FIIO site.
5) I have the installed the latest firmware 2.05.
6) I have loaded the music to the SD card while inserted in the computer and the plugged it into my $35 Sansa Clip player...NO problem....
7) I take the same card and insert it into the X3 and everything but about 2 GB shows up then no longer shows up when reinserting into the Sansa clip player or the computer. The card does show the amount of data installed on the card but it can no longer be recognized. Kind of like part of the FAT table has been erased.
8) I load the music directly to the X3 with the SD card installed and have the same result.
9) I can fill the X3 internal memory to the max with music ...no problem.
10) Yes, I have reset the unit, updated the library manually and automatically with again the same result..

I find it hard to believe that a lot more people are not having this difficulty. Perhaps they have much smaller music collections, do not have complete albums, or have their music arranged in playlists or organized in some other way. Some have said something about a limitation on the number of folders....is that it?

My 2000 plus CD's have been arranged this way for a long time without any problems with several network servers and players and The X3 does seem to recognize files up to a limited size (on the SD card) and all of it's internal memory.

The DAC sounds great ..... one of the best I've heard yet, the unit looks great, it just seems this unit is still in the beta testing phase.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #39 of 91
FIIO and others continue to say that the file problem might have to do with the way the files are tagged or how the SD cards are formatted of the cards themselves.

When transferring music to the X3 :

1) all Folders ....... genres, artists, albums, files are arranged exactly the same way.
2) All CD's were ripped to FLAC using the same software .... dBPoweramp on the same computer around the same time all tagged the same way.
3) I have tried several different brands (Kingston, Metadata, Sansa) and sizes (32 & 64 GB) SD cards.
4) I have used several different programs to format the cards to FAT32 including the one downloaded from the FIIO site.
5) I have the installed the latest firmware 2.05.
6) I have loaded the music to the SD card while inserted in the computer and the plugged it into my $35 Sansa Clip player...NO problem....
7) I take the same card and insert it into the X3 and everything but about 2 GB shows up then no longer shows up when reinserting into the Sansa clip player or the computer. The card does show the amount of data installed on the card but it can no longer be recognized. Kind of like part of the FAT table has been erased.
8) I load the music directly to the X3 with the SD card installed and have the same result.
9) I can fill the X3 internal memory to the max with music ...no problem.
10) Yes, I have reset the unit, updated the library manually and automatically with again the same result..

I find it hard to believe that a lot more people are not having this difficulty. Perhaps they have much smaller music collections, do not have complete albums, or have their music arranged in playlists or organized in some other way. Some have said something about a limitation on the number of folders....is that it?

My 2000 plus CD's have been arranged this way for a long time without any problems with several network servers and players and The X3 does seem to recognize files up to a limited size (on the SD card) and all of it's internal memory.

The DAC sounds great ..... one of the best I've heard yet, the unit looks great, it just seems this unit is still in the beta testing phase.

"I find it hard to believe that a lot more people are not having this difficulty"--probably because what you're facing is indeed an isolated incident and not representative of the majority of users' experience. Certainly most users have more than 2GB of music recognized on their X3.

Would you like to send your X3 and the problematic micro SD card(s) with their music content to FiiO headquarters for testing? Since you say that the music data appears to be erased when put into the X3, it would be good for you to include one micro SD card with your music library intact and another SD card with the music data "semi-erased" by the X3 as you say.

Please visit this page
http://www.fiio.com.cn/support/detail.aspx?ID=100000003535257
and download the .xls document from the second link of the page to obtain our warranty repair form. Please fill in your personal info and return shipping address in detail. Also please attach a copy of your purchase receipt from Amazon to prove that you're within the warranty period. As for the problem description, just insert a link to your detailed description here.

Please email the completed information to support@fiio.net and in the title of the email put "From atwaterkent Re: X3 problems" and our support team will know exactly what to do as everyone here knows about you now :wink: This way we don't need to ask any additional questions and can expedite the return process.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 13, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #40 of 91
Please send the email to support@fiio.net (I made a typo at first)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #41 of 91
Hello!
 Sorry for my not too good english. I bought FiiO X3 in  December (in Poland). I have the same problem as atwaterkent. I've used two different 32GB microSD cards (Kingston and ScanDisk). I've made everything written on FiiO www site: http://www.fiio.com.cn/support/detail.aspx?ID=100000037723417 and http://www.fiio.com.cn/support/detail.aspx?ID=100000037065714. It didn't resolve my problem. I can't play all the folders from TF card. They are shown in Browse folders (names of folders) but there are no songs in Category or Play All. When I connect my FiiO with P.C there are names of folders in TF Card, memory of the Card is taken but folders are empty. I can't remove names of folders by the P.C. I have to format TF Card to make it empty again. Problem is also with small folders in mp3 fomat (fo example when I copy 3 records I can listen to the one and when I try to listen next record I can see "Playback failed, File is not found". The same folders are played with no problems from internal memory.
  I will send my FiiO to local dealer in Poland (Audiomagic) but I'm very blue. It was my Christmas gift ( I got it a few days earlier) but unfortunately it doesn't work good.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #42 of 91
Hi,

I'm having this annoying issue with my X3.. bought it a couple weeks ago.. so i've bought Sandisk Ultra 64gb microSD card to expand the storage.. but after i transferred my music collection into it, and tried to update library, the X3 just went on and on updating until it somehow dies/hang that i need to push the reset button to make it restart. tried a few times, same thing happened.. so i make a wild guess that the X3 can't handle too much files to update at once, so i tried to do batch transfer of 5-7gb of music files at times, and update library after each transfer.. a few batches was successful.. then somehow it failed again, that time i have around 40gb+ in the micorSD.. my wild guess now is, the X3 can't handle a 64gb memory card?? hope someone from Fiio can help to clarify this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #43 of 91
I tried 8GB microSD card yesterday and everything was o'k'. FiiO played all folders. Does it mean that 32GB TF Card is too large ( I used two32GB cards: SanDisk and Kingston)? I don't know if I should give my X3 back to dealer? 

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #44 of 91
File management seems to be an ongoing problem with the X3. Fiio responds indicating that the problem is with the actual SD card or with how you have them organized or with the ID tags of the files.
Funny how this is not an issue with any other device I load these files too.....
nuf said.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #45 of 91
I tried 8GB microSD card yesterday and everything was o'k'. FiiO played all folders. Does it mean that 32GB TF Card is too large ( I used two32GB cards: SanDisk and Kingston)? I don't know if I should give my X3 back to dealer? 

Does this happen with the 32GB cards if you just play the songs from "Browse Files" without doing a media lib update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back