FiiO X3 beta firmware 3.00EX available for download. Added beta ExFAT support
Jul 1, 2014 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
Dear all,

A new beta firmware for the X3, 3.00EX, is available for download here.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/31y5xxppz6rppxy/X3_FW3.0EX.zip

The change from the previous 3.0 firmware lies in added support for ExFAT formatted microSD cards.

Please note the following:

1. This is a development beta. Please consider carefully whether you want to upgrade to it. (You can always downgrade back to 3.0 or any previous version)
  2. Problems encountered with this firmware may be posted to this thread--please keep the main X3 thread free from clutter regarding bugs on beta firmware.
  3. To avoid public misunderstanding, please refrain from posting about bugs and imperfections of the beta firmware outside this beta firmware discussion thread.

Thank you and best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 1, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 69
first ... i think the sound sig of this version is a keeper ... i guess it is in the mid ground between the bright beta 2.14 and the   official fw.3 ( which is similar to the old 2.1 but done right ) very clean and really neutral .... this is things to me at least till now from my initial listening (any body can confirm that ?? )

- the album arts still displayed as the previous version bigger than the screen size 

- there is no differences i noticed in that version till now same stability with fat32 format ..same every thing .. BTW  i am lazy now to format my card to ExFAT and fill it again 
biggrin.gif
 but i will try to do it tomorrow 

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 69
As a PC/mac user I'm glad of the ExFAT support addition. But before trying:
You mention we can always downgrade to 2.0. Is it any problem if we want to come back to standard 3.0 from 3.0ex?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 69
As a PC/mac user I'm glad of the ExFAT support addition. But before trying:
You mention we can always downgrade to 2.0. Is it any problem if we want to come back to standard 3.0 from 3.0ex?

Thanks in advance.

you can always upgrade to any version you want and without any problem.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 2, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 69
Thanks for the clarification.

I will test the exFAT as soon as I can.

By the way, I was testing the firmware tools (to change de theme) and looking at the file "system_attribute\default.ini" I found that the "<eq_flag>1</eq_flag>//0 开 1 关" is (if I understand correctly) turn off. Is it safe to turn it on?

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 69
I am trying out the new firmware.  Seems fine but it has only been a few hours. 

The sound signature seems fine, but I thought it was fine with the last two firmware releases also.

I must admit I am not convinced that the sound signature is changing as much as our user group think it is changing.  From FIIO's perspective I wonder if they are making any changes at all to this section of the firmware.    Am I audiophile loser, or are we all collectively buying in to some kind of placebo effect?

FIIO, any commnents ?

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 69
I've been using this new beta. I had a (nearly) empty card which I reformatted to exFAT in my Mac, put a few files on and tried in the X3. It all seems to be working well. I'll put some more files on later.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 69
I am trying out the new firmware.  Seems fine but it has only been a few hours. 

The sound signature seems fine, but I thought it was fine with the last two firmware releases also.

I must admit I am not convinced that the sound signature is changing as much as our user group think it is changing.  From FIIO's perspective I wonder if they are making any changes at all to this section of the firmware.    Am I audiophile loser, or are we all collectively buying in to some kind of placebo effect?

FIIO, any commnents ?

may be you are right about the placebo thing ... But with the previous firmwares the 2.14beta & 3 the official one the sound signatures are different and apparent without any comments from fiio too ... Placebo or not ..i am enjoying the sound sig. of this firmware and this is the most important thing :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 69
I haven't tried this beta because I don't care about exFAT support, but I could see how placebo effect could be kicking in now. Despite not trying to alter the sound sig (via personal communique with Fiio), Fiio certainly did something special with 2.14b. Now that people have experienced that, they could be on the lookout for sound sig changes - and we often find what we're looking for :wink_face:.

Jul 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 69
I/ve been using the new firmware and it works fine.  I use a Mac Mini and formatted the card to exfat via disk utility.  The first thing i noticed is how much faster I can load songs on an exfat formatted card.  
L3000.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 69
I haven't tried this beta because I don't care about exFAT support, but I could see how placebo effect could be kicking in now. Despite not trying to alter the sound sig (via personal communique with Fiio), Fiio certainly did something special with 2.14b. Now that people have experienced that, they could be on the lookout for sound sig changes - and we often find what we're looking for
wink_face.gif

In order to poke the hornets nest a little more, I'd like to remind people that 2.14b had that volume bug. It is possible the bug was more severe than just a string in an ini file - remember that the number of vol steps was doubled. Maybe all the people claiming better sound are really just listening to a flaw.
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
Can't really make an opinion myself since I tend to focus more on the music itself, not the sound (I'm funny that way).

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 69
In order to poke the hornets nest a little more, I'd like to remind people that 2.14b had that volume bug. It is possible the bug was more severe than just a string in an ini file - remember that the number of vol steps was doubled. Maybe all the people claiming better sound are really just listening to a flaw.:evil: :D .
Can't really make an opinion myself since I tend to focus more on the music itself, not the sound (I'm funny that way).

If that was a flaw, gimme more flaws :wink_face:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back