FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Feb 8, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #2,087 of 3,121
Some update files are compressed, some aren't. It's not that hard to work out whether you need to unpack it or not...

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #2,088 of 3,121
Yeah, I think I'll be good to go cause it didn't come through as an RAR file, just an FW file.

Dear CanGuy75,

Yes, from FW1.5.6, we have updated the link with the FW file directly. So the users won't need to unzip the updated file.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #2,093 of 3,121

I concur on gapless playback.  I also wouldn't mind a gain control, despite being pleased with the sound.

Yes I agree that having a gain control would be nice too. I don't know how easy that is to implement...I don't know how easy it is to implement gapless either because been awhile since the X1ii has been released and Fiio has said it will be in future updates so hopefully soon.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,094 of 3,121
  Cayin, interesting as I do see their DAP's available around Toronto so I may have to check it out.  Nice to see we are starting to see more entry level DAP's and not just more and more expensive units.  The fact you can get the Shanling M1 and maybe now Cayin N3 with Apt-X bluetooth at an entry level price.  Especially since the Fiio X1-II does not offer it, interesting times ahead.

Both look interesting though I'm particularly interested in the N3. Going to have to keep a close eye on that one. Its good to see that Fiio is having more competition in this space.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,095 of 3,121
Just got a Fiio X1ii yesterday, updated firmware to 1.5.6 directly.

The sound is pretty decent, especially when pairs with low-impedance IEMs & over-ears. I plan to mainly use it with my Focal Sphear & Momentum On-Ear.

Just a question about Line-Out: When I set the X1ii to Line-out w/ Fixed Level mode and plug into my home audio aux-in, I'm hearing some significant distortion and roll-off, and my amp is set to level 6 (out of 32).

However, when I change the Line-out mode to Volume-Adjusted, and set the volume to be like 30 in the X1ii, and adjust my amp volume to level 20, I don't have the problem with distortion and roll-off. Everything sounds the same as if I just use the Headphone Out mode.

I don't seem to be able to change the "fixed volume settings". Am I missing some setting here?

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,098 of 3,121
Quote:
  Just got a Fiio X1ii yesterday, updated firmware to 1.5.6 directly.

The sound is pretty decent, especially when pairs with low-impedance IEMs & over-ears. I plan to mainly use it with my Focal Sphear & Momentum On-Ear.

Just a question about Line-Out: When I set the X1ii to Line-out w/ Fixed Level mode and plug into my home audio aux-in, I'm hearing some significant distortion and roll-off, and my amp is set to level 6 (out of 32).

However, when I change the Line-out mode to Volume-Adjusted, and set the volume to be like 30 in the X1ii, and adjust my amp volume to level 20, I don't have the problem with distortion and roll-off. Everything sounds the same as if I just use the Headphone Out mode.

I don't seem to be able to change the "fixed volume settings". Am I missing some setting here?

That's the typical sign that your home audio's aux-in is designed for iPod level of level-out signal (which is typically just around 0.5Vrms or so) and not for something higher. X1-II line-out is about 1.7Vrms (*note that a typical audiophile level full line-out is usually around 2Vrms), and that will cause your home audio to 'clip' the signal and thus results in all kind of distortion. That's really nothing you can do to correct the issue since you can't change the hardware limit of your home setup, so you should just keep using volume adjustable setting.

Question .. Has FIIO fixed the issue of playing hi-res files (e.g 24/96 FLAC) over Bluetooth?

Just listened to Norah Jones's Day Break in 24/96 FLAC over Bluetooth and didn't detect any issue.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #2,099 of 3,121
  Quote:

That's the typical sign that your home audio's aux-in is designed for iPod level of level-out signal (which is typically just around 0.5Vrms or so) and not for something higher. X1-II line-out is about 1.7Vrms (*note that a typical audiophile level full line-out is usually around 2Vrms), and that will cause your home audio to 'clip' the signal and thus results in all kind of distortion. That's really nothing you can do to correct the issue since you can't change the hardware limit of your home setup, so you should just keep using volume adjustable setting.

Just listened to Norah Jones's Day Break in 24/96 FLAC over Bluetooth and didn't detect any issue.

Thanks ClieOS for explaining. Yeah, my low-fi compact bookshelf system aux-in is probably tuned for smartphone devices.

After playing around with the X1ii, I finally find the volume settings for Fixed Volume Line Out.

Under Play Settings, right below the "Line out mode", there's the "Fixed Level" settings, which can be set to 0db (default), -3db, -6db. This settings is only configurable when Line out mode is set to "Fixed Volume".

After setting it to -6db, the line out to my stereo is working as expected. No more distortion and clip.

Overall this is a very decent player, beside the somewhat confusing settings.

I'll post my review after I spent more time with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back