FiiO X1 firmware version 1.10 download and discussion thread
Nov 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #46 of 206
Was the micro SD cart completely empty?
No other files or maps on the card?

For updating software, it is the best thing to use an empty card with no other files or maps except the update-software itself.

I had the same problems with my photo camera. Updates did not work, untill I used an empty card.
For updating software (for camera, DAP, ...) via memory cards, I have a older 1 GB micro SD card, which I always format in the device itself before putting the update software via cut and past. No copy/paste, because sometimes Windows creates a shortcut instead of copying the whole sofware :frowning2: :frowning2: :O

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #48 of 206
what a pain. Okay i deleted 50 gigs of music. redownloaded the firmware on an empty card... same outcome... black screen of death. So i decided to reformat the card I(fat32). Since the X1 was DOA I used my external lexar card reader via usb port to the computer... no dice.. the X1 when hard reset instead of indicating it is updating firmware... it says "file system not supported"... which should not surprise me... it did that when I first tried to insert my sandisk micro sd card with all the music on it and so i let the X1 reformat it itself (another bug)... of course that is not an option now with the black screen of death.

Incidentally the card is 128gigs... its all I have. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #49 of 206
ppffff That's not funny at all. I understand your frustration.

But the manual says:
The TF card should preferably be a blank card of 32GB of capacity or under in FAT32 format.
•Make sure the X1 is adequately charged (preferably fully charged) for the update process to 
prevent power failure during the update;
•Do not operate other buttons and dials on the player during the update process.
•If the update process fails, hold the power button for 6 seconds for a forced shutdown and 
turn the player on in update mode again to resume the update.
unquote

I don't know if the problem can occur when the memory card is bigger than 32GB? 

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #51 of 206
The odds of you having two malfunctioning devices is kind of slim.  I suspect that you've got something going on with your files or your cards.

As to the X1, it is imperative that you format your card IN the X1 before trying to update.  Just formatting in a PC is not going to do it (well, it might, but since you have issues you should follow directions exactly).  So get a blank card or use a card you have and be prepared for it to be wiped during the formatting process.  After you format it in the X1 it will be renamed as an X1 card, so you know formatting was successful.  Put your firmware on the card using either a card reader or just plugging in the X1 to your PC (I use a card reader to avoid any possibility of an issue- and it copies files faster).  Turn your X1 OFF and insert the card.  Turn the X1 ON using the power button and the left front button.  It should tell you it is updating.  The process shouldn't take more than a minute or two.  After it complete, remove the card and take the firmware off of it.  Then replace the card and run Factory Reset from Settings.  Then adjust things as you would like them.  

If this fails, then I suggest you try a different card.  I also suggest you download the firmware again using a different browser if possible.  Make sure you are getting the firmware from the official site of Fiio.  Make sure that you use ONLY the firmware, and not the folder it comes in with the Readme.  

Good luck.

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #52 of 206
well the x5 had issues with the card seating. The X1 did work fine apart from not reading certain flac files prior to the update. It was the fiio website so no issues with firmware source. Of course the problem now is that i cannot format with the X1 because its got issues.  So i need to format with my PC and stumble on the correct file allocation size. It was not 32... I read elsewhere that the x3 required 32 allocation size.

Everytime i tried to update the firmware it said it was updating... i got the green red status bar and it completed. I also got the message that it was updated successfully... then it flips to the screen of death... that would be at the point it should be asking me to set the language...

Ah well....

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #53 of 206
okay... success.... 

First off once i formatted with windows... not matter what I did, the X1 gave a file type not supported error... and i tried every file allocation size twice to no avail..

On an other board someone commented that when all else fails... use GIUformat.exe. So with nothing to lose, i found that utility, dowloaded it and formatted using it with an allocation size of 32K.... THAT the X1 likes.

I then downloaded the firmware update again put it in the root and it updated correctly...  using a sandisk 128gig card.

I am guessing that the first two times i downloaded the firmware something was off... those 1st two trials the card had been formatted by the X1 so that should not have been the issue. The i screwed things up thinking a reformat was in order and using windows because the X1 was not functional....

GUIformat.exe did the trick... and a new download of the firmware... best of all.... with the new  firmware all the flac files that would not play prior seem to play just fine.. 

Thanks for the helpful suggestions... just wanted to detail what steps i took in case anyone else has this sort of issue.

cheers

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #55 of 206
@Joe Bloggs
is there a file with all the language sentences that I could use to suggest better fitting wording(sometimes it's a meaning ambiguity, sometimes the meaning is ok but it's not something we would really use). if there is something I could edit it and give it back to you guys. or simply a list of all the sentences.
I wish to suggest a few changes in french.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #56 of 206
I had problems udating with a generic 128gb card, with and without music on it. Even after using a high quality, class 10, 32gb Samsung card to update, I had problems with the X1 and the generic sd card. It's now been retired and I'm using the 32gb class 10 Samsung card. No problems. Not one. If your card is a no-brand one, good luck...

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #57 of 206
  I had problems udating with a generic 128gb card, with and without music on it. Even after using a high quality, class 10, 32gb Samsung card to update, I had problems with the X1 and the generic sd card. It's now been retired and I'm using the 32gb class 10 Samsung card. No problems. Not one. If your card is a no-brand one, good luck...

How much did you pay for this 'generic' card? Most likely fake, if I had to guess :p

You can use a program called h2testw to see if it's legit or not. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #59 of 206
you guys have gapless on mp3?  I only really tested it on 1album yet as I have all my live albums as 1 file so I have to reencode just to try. 
the album I tried plays gapless on a rockboxed clip+ and on foobar, but does have a slight cut(not because of track order being wrong, my tracks are named starting with track number 01 02 03etc. to make sure of that).
the same album in flac plays perfect gapless, just not the mp3. please tell me how it goes for you, maybe I messed up my encoding of the mp3?

.m3u work perfectly. I wish the DAP could scan them anywhere in any folder, but that's a minor organization detail to put them all at the same place.
else I'm happy to report that with V1.1 I can now play all my audiobooks even those recorded at 22khz that didn't work on V1.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #60 of 206
I seriously need you guys to include a direct stop, when you are listening to music. Like clicking on the middle button to stop music, while the X1's screen is off.

Yesterday, I was listening to music and my brother tried to talk to me. So I looked at my Fiio X1 and had to go to a track to stop the playing music. It seriously took me a few seconds. Usually you would just push on the play/stop button so that the music stops within a second. That is whats missing here in my opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back