[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Sep 19, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #2,432 of 2,559
Currently running 1.74 after multiple factory resets (both in software and case-reset procedure) getting frustrating EQ-related issues upon cold power-up from case.
Occurred using IOS 16.x and now IOS 17.x (AAC).

Note - I use Custom1 EQ all the time
  1. One side often has different gain to the other, I have to open the app and make 'a change' to the GAIN, sometimes I need to turn EQ on and off again. Simply touching the overall EQ gain, and sometimes one of the individual frequency gains fixes the issue
  2. Randomly have an issue where one side, or both sides is distorted, to me sounds like an overdriven amplifier (I boost lower frequencies in my EQ and to compensate reduce overall EQ gain by 3-4db)
    1. adjusting EQ gain makes no difference when in this failure mode
    2. power cycling the affected side(s) fixes the issue instantly
Certain parameters are obviously not being properly recalled upon cold bootup! More bug fixing needed team!

Cheers,

Tim

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #2,433 of 2,559
Currently running 1.74 after multiple factory resets (both in software and case-reset procedure) getting frustrating EQ-related issues upon cold power-up from case.

1. One side often has different gain to the other, I have to open the app and make 'a change' to the GAIN, sometimes I need to turn EQ on and off again. Simply touching the overall EQ gain, and sometimes one of the individual frequency gains fixes the issue
  2. Randomly have an issue where one side, or both sides is distorted, to me sounds like an overdriven amplifier (I boost lower frequencies in my EQ and to compensate reduce overall EQ gain by 3-4db)
Certain parameters are obviously not being properly recalled upon cold bootup! More bug fixing needed team!

Cheers,

Tim
I have the same problem...

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #2,435 of 2,559
Need some help, getting a bit frustrated with the UTWS5. Decided to upgrade from the UTWS3 and have had endless issues.

Bought these and within a few days the right earpiece dies (no charging etc). Received a replacement after a few weeks and Fiio only sent the right earpiece today (fair enough). Now the issue is that only the right earpiece is detected and picked up. Left was working fine however I did a factory reset to pair both up again.

I believe it's because I was on v1.74 and the replacement is v1.5, with the difference it is now causing issues. I have tried manually updating the firmware via my phone however the update fails or the progress bar just never moves.

Is there a fix for this?

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #2,440 of 2,559
Are you contacting them via e-mail support? I tried and they just fobbed me off.....

Tried via the aliexpress message centre (can't use that to dispute anymore as the replacement was a $1 item), tried facebook messenger (tells me to go email or store), have sent email to their support contact (waiting for response), raised a thread on their forums and now here.

Last resort is to do a paypal dispute.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #2,441 of 2,559
Need some help, getting a bit frustrated with the UTWS5. Decided to upgrade from the UTWS3 and have had endless issues.

Bought these and within a few days the right earpiece dies (no charging etc). Received a replacement after a few weeks and Fiio only sent the right earpiece today (fair enough). Now the issue is that only the right earpiece is detected and picked up. Left was working fine however I did a factory reset to pair both up again.

I believe it's because I was on v1.74 and the replacement is v1.5, with the difference it is now causing issues. I have tried manually updating the firmware via my phone however the update fails or the progress bar just never moves.

Is there a fix for this?
I had the same issue, android phone not updating the firmware for reasons I can’t fathom, the IPad managed with no issues so, if you have access to a iOS device, try that.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #2,442 of 2,559
I had the same issue, android phone not updating the firmware for reasons I can’t fathom, the IPad managed with no issues so, if you have access to a iOS device, try that.

I managed to update no issues prior to v1.74, I believe it's because the software doesn't allow updating of only one earpiece. Both earpieces need to be connected to be able to update the firmware, however because Fiio only replaced one earpiece and that came with v1.5 and is now mismatched. Meaning I can't connect both at the same time to be able to change firmware or get them back in sync.

I don't believe this scenario would be common and would only ever occur if you needed a earpiece repaired/replaced.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #2,443 of 2,559

Cheers,

Tim
I have exactly the same issue. Decided not to use EQ at all. Become almost happy of the product.
But still waiting update with hope for eq issues fix.

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #2,444 of 2,559
I managed to update no issues prior to v1.74, I believe it's because the software doesn't allow updating of only one earpiece. Both earpieces need to be connected to be able to update the firmware, however because Fiio only replaced one earpiece and that came with v1.5 and is now mismatched. Meaning I can't connect both at the same time to be able to change firmware or get them back in sync.

I don't believe this scenario would be common and would only ever occur if you needed a earpiece repaired/replaced.
What a pain! Clearly a rare edge case, but still - it happens, and the update process should be able to deal with it.

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #2,445 of 2,559
I have exactly the same issue. Decided not to use EQ at all. Become almost happy of the product.
But still waiting update with hope for eq issues fix.
Since I'm having a really hard time getting anything to compare bass-wise to my now broken 😭 Aurisonics ASG2.5's -- I need to fiddle with EQ to make anything sound half decent to my ears.
The differing EQ/levels between two sides is very annoying; the random overdriven distortion which requires a power-cycle is what's infuriating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back