[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Oct 4, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #2,461 of 2,559
Hi, I've been using Revision 1 of the UTWS5 for around a year now with zero issues. Normally I use them with my Android 12 phone (aptX Adaptive, latest firmware v1.7x).

However, for some weeks I experience a strange behaviour with the UTWS5 where the overall stability and connection range is very low - like 2 meters at max before the stability is affected or the connection cuts out completely. From the time when I purchased these I remember that I had flawless stability at over 10 meters distance (even through walls) with the same smartphone. Is this some kind of technial issue? I wouldn't assume that stability degrades gradually over time. The battery is still good for more than 5 hours of listening. Within the limited range the device behaves completely normal.

EDIT
Flashing an old firmware and updating to the latest again seems to have solved the problems for now.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #2,462 of 2,559
Yeah at this point, the cheapo KZ AZ09 Pro is probably the best option if you don't mind the lack of codecs. Never had any hardware issues with them whatsoever.

Sadly there's no internal amp or a dedicated dac (besides the built in one)...I don't get why this product space is so overlooked by various OEMs. There's only 2 real alternatives as of now (UTWS5/Go Pods), both have major cons.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,463 of 2,559
Finally got a response last night, seems their email support is the way to go in the future.

They are organsing for a new earhook to be sent with the correct firmware. So I am expecting a new right earpiece with v1.74 or left earpiece with v1.5. Once I receive I will provide an update back, expect it to be another couple of weeks.

Just an update to my situation, package arrived today from Fiio.

They sent both earhooks as replacements, got them finally both pairing now and working. Took awhile but got the right outcome. This time they both came with v1.43

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #2,464 of 2,559
Just an update to my situation, package arrived today from Fiio.

They sent both earhooks as replacements, got them finally both pairing now and working. Took awhile but got the right outcome. This time they both came with v1.43

Glad that they provide good service, though you have to wait for long. Enjoy back your UTWS5

Oct 12, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #2,465 of 2,559
I recently connected my 2-pin UTWS5 to a pair of Final Audio A5000 IEMs (and a 2-pin interconnect in between because FA uses an Audeze-like notched 2-pin for its A-series).

My biggest take is that anyone considering buying a UTWS set should get the MMCX version over the 2-pin, and a pair of adapters if their IEMs are not MMCX. The ear loops that hang on the ears are rigid, and they basically make or break fit and comfort.

The A5000 cannot sit fully flush in my ears. There’s a slight break in the seal.

The ability to spin the buds on an MMCX connection lets a user adjust the fit a little more.

Oct 14, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #2,466 of 2,559
Absolutely new UTWS5 v.2 pair (and this is the last my FiiO product, also going to trash) has got old charging problem (even when I see both left and right LEDs turned on after putting hooks into the case, after some period I get hooks, and one of them is discharged)... iFi go pod has inadequate price... TRN BT30 has got high output impedance...

There isn't happiness in the world.

Oct 14, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #2,467 of 2,559
Just sharing experience here, I updated the firmware to 1.7 and experienced little cut off connection on LDAC and the aptx to. And the charging problem in the case also occured (charging was on and off, made them connected and cut off randomly when my phone was close)

Flashed it back to 1.5 and I do feel they are more stable with no cut off so far (APTX) and better charging while in case

Maybe the 1.5 is more stable firmware

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #2,468 of 2,559
X-post from neckband thread — Got some demo GoPods. Initial impressions:

Striking difference between GoPod & UTWS5 headstages right out of the box:

- GoPod much more wrap-around/enveloping, but completely 2-d
- UTWS5 more ‘out-in-front’ but with much more depth of image

The difference is quite stark — nearly Empryean vs HifiMan HEK (well, not really, but in that neighborhood).

Holds for all three IEMs (Vega, Volt, IT07) but most apparent from the iBassos.

Also, GoPod really emphasizes the authority of Vega’s bass — GoPods seem warm-tilted vs UTWS5.

Combining the two differences, UTWS5 seem more referency, but maybe ‘thinner’, while the GoPods seem ‘richer/fuller’.

I can imagine owning a set just to drive my Vegas.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #2,469 of 2,559
X-post from neckband thread — Got some demo GoPods. Initial impressions:

Striking difference between GoPod & UTWS5 headstages right out of the box:

- GoPod much more wrap-around/enveloping, but completely 2-d
- UTWS5 more ‘out-in-front’ but with much more depth of image

The difference is quite stark — nearly Empryean vs HifiMan HEK (well, not really, but in that neighborhood).

Holds for all three IEMs (Vega, Volt, IT07) but most apparent from the iBassos.

Also, GoPod really emphasizes the authority of Vega’s bass — GoPods seem warm-tilted vs UTWS5.

Combining the two differences, UTWS5 seem more referency, but maybe ‘thinner’, while the GoPods seem ‘richer/fuller’.

I can imagine owning a set just to drive my Vegas.
Just out of curiosity, which firmware are you running on the GO Pod? Are you running the latest, v.1-52, firmware?

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #2,470 of 2,559
Not sure … how do I check?

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #2,471 of 2,559
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #2,473 of 2,559
Absolutely new UTWS5 v.2 pair (and this is the last my FiiO product, also going to trash) has got old charging problem (even when I see both left and right LEDs turned on after putting hooks into the case, after some period I get hooks, and one of them is discharged)... iFi go pod has inadequate price... TRN BT30 has got high output impedance...

i gotta admit, i enjoy seeing others in the same pain as i was in before i finally smashed my utws5 v1. (Make sure to de-attach your innocent IEMs from that nerve torture device before you do so.. haha!)

Yea yea... the old "Good! Both LEDs are blinking! It fo sho gonna charge now!" and then the surprise when you need to leave the house and one of the hooks has 0% charge.

Interesting to know that the v2 is the same piece of crap like v1.

When i bought the v1 and complained about the issues to the German Fiio distributor, according to him none of these problems existed and it was all user error from my side. That was what i was dealing with - in addition to the utws5 being the buggiest device i ever owned.

BTW.. the BT30 will make your IEM sound like cheap 20$ TWS. Forget the impedance.

The ridiculous price aside.. the ifi Go works for some people. For others it won't. It has connection issues, as was in my case, as well, before i returned it. The fact that i payed 400 bucks for a stupid BT adapter shows how desperate i was.

As desperate as i am.. i will wait and see what people here say when the UTWS15 comes out. If it miraculously works without bugs.. i might give Fiio a second chance. but i'll buy from alibaba this time - hoping for a more reasonable distributor.

So far there is no other hope for us.. but my advice is to wait and see the user reports in this forum. I'm not gonna be the guinea pig this time.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #2,474 of 2,559

I solved the same problem as follows

1. install every firmware version I've ever used once, and in each version, do a factory reset by pressing and holding the button on the case.
2. then install the last firmware version I want to use (version 1.5 seems to be the most stable, unless you prefer LDAC).

I found that when I upgraded to 1.7 and then downgraded to 1.5, kept the name and settings of UTWS5 I was using in 1.5.
I suspect that it's the saved settings from other versions that are causing the error.

I had previously used versions 1.4 and 1.5, so I did this step

1.4 install - factory rest - 1.5 install - factory reset - 1.74 install

And am now using it without any problems.
If what you're experiencing is a hardware issue, this may not help, but hopefully it will.

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #2,475 of 2,559
Im don't notice major charging issues. Usually Im put it in case in specific way, first closer long side connectors, then ferher side. This way it start charging more stable. Never expirience discharge after some time, if both leds on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back