[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Sep 27, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #2,446 of 2,559
Since I'm having a really hard time getting anything to compare bass-wise to my now broken 😭 Aurisonics ASG2.5's -- I need to fiddle with EQ to make anything sound half decent to my ears.
The differing EQ/levels between two sides is very annoying; the random overdriven distortion which requires a power-cycle is what's infuriating.
I don’t use an equaliser on any of my headphones. Back in my working days, it was a tool to control recording studio acoustics as well as the different characteristics of microphone's, guitar pick ups and other music producing/recording equipment. I did also used it in my main home hi-fi again, to control the room acoustics but, I am old and retired now, and I can’t be bothered to go through the process anymore. I am sympathetic, it would probably drive me mad too if i was using it. .

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #2,447 of 2,559
I managed to update no issues prior to v1.74, I believe it's because the software doesn't allow updating of only one earpiece. Both earpieces need to be connected to be able to update the firmware, however because Fiio only replaced one earpiece and that came with v1.5 and is now mismatched. Meaning I can't connect both at the same time to be able to change firmware or get them back in sync.

I don't believe this scenario would be common and would only ever occur if you needed an earpiece repaired/replaced.
I see, yes i can imagine that scenario will cause your issue, has FiiiO CS helped?

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #2,448 of 2,559
I see, yes i can imagine that scenario will cause your issue, has FiiiO CS helped?

Finally got a response last night, seems their email support is the way to go in the future.

They are organsing for a new earhook to be sent with the correct firmware. So I am expecting a new right earpiece with v1.74 or left earpiece with v1.5. Once I receive I will provide an update back, expect it to be another couple of weeks.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #2,450 of 2,559
I just notice that 1 contact point on the right ear piece loose the shiny over coat and reveal the bronze below, it's harder and harder to get the ear piece charged in case.
I guess my sweat is the reason
That’s a design flaw and the main reason behind most charging issues.

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #2,451 of 2,559
I just notice that 1 contact point on the right ear piece loose the shiny over coat and reveal the bronze below, it's harder and harder to get the ear piece charged in case.
What hardware version about do you say? (all three contacts are together for the 1st, and 2 + 1 for the second)

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #2,452 of 2,559

One way to remedy the charging-refusal of this piece of garbage is to swipe the hook (bronze?) contacts with alcohol.

One time - after the 1000th time i think, of wiping the hook's crap-stained ass with alcohol - i just poured a gallon of alcohol into the charging case. Just as a **** you. It was a harbinger of it being smashed a short while after.

Additionally when the rust/patina covers the bronze contact, then use the edge of a scissor or a knife or needle and scrape the dark oxidized layer off! Here you're sitting in 2023 like 1000 years ago scraping patina of the metal like people in the bronze age.

No one used and tested the utws5 here like me and the ultimate solution was smashing it.

Oct 2, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #2,454 of 2,559
What hardware version about do you say? (all three contacts are together for the 1st, and 2 + 1 for the second) Mine is the second version
The OG. First generation.

BTW: @FiiO
The German distributor is a pain the a$$. I will never buy from them again! If ever again, then from alibaba! I sent them even video demonstrations of how the charging does not work after putting the hooks into the case. The guy would just improvise NONSENSE on the spot via email or on the phone to make it look like it was an user error. One of the more stupid things he improvised to make it look like i was handling the device wrongly was that i am supposed to take out BOTH hooks at the same time, and THAT was why the hooks did not get charged after putting them in. If you try to take both hooks out of the case at the same time, then you will pick up the case, as well, due to the magnets. And since you do not have a 3rd arm, you look like a clown standing there, each hook grabbed by one hand with the case attached to them dangling in the air. After i actually tried this and made myself look like a clown i realized what i already knew: That the guy was full of $hit, making up lies on the spot and telling me that his BS's were actual instructions on how to handle the device. I ended up getting loud with him on the phone. They have no rationale and fairness in their understanding! They just want to put the blame on the you. I told them even about this forum and other people having the same issue but he said that it was irrelevant. They did replace the first device due to my complaints (and after a lot of headache for me due to their used car-salesmen attitude) and of course due to the flawed design i had the same problem with the second device. I asked them multiple times about revision 2 of the device but they plainly ignored it each time.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #2,457 of 2,559
I lost my trust in Fiio after the whole shenanigans with UTWS5.
If I need to buy another wireless Bluetooth module for my iem, I'll consider getting the ifi or different brand
Sadly there's not many options... The IFi gos are very overpriced in my opinion... And the case is massive :/

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #2,459 of 2,559
Yeah at this point, the cheapo KZ AZ09 Pro is probably the best option if you don't mind the lack of codecs. Never had any hardware issues with them whatsoever.
they don't have hardware volume increase/decrease buttons. So each time you wanna change volume you gotta grab the phone from your pocket to change volume - in the middle of whatever you're doing at that moment. Jesus F*cking Christ! I tried the k20. Couldn't believe it. Sent it back.

Also, only their own IEMs are compatible with their BT adapter devices. At least this was the case /w the k20. The connection plug of their device/hooks is weirdly specific.. or you can use a knife and cut that plastic off of the hook plug to make any generic IEM compatible to their BT hooks.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #2,460 of 2,559
I lost my trust in Fiio after the whole shenanigans with UTWS5.
If I need to buy another wireless Bluetooth module for my iem, I'll consider getting the ifi or different brand

Here is my post from the iFi Go thread. Maybe you have more luck with your sample.

iFi audio GO pod + IEMs = brilliant wireless sound on the GO!
i get constant connection dropouts between the pod and my mobile phone (galaxy zflip 3). I updated firmware to the newest 1.52. The phone is in my pants' pocket. Even if i cover my ears with my hands the connection has dropouts. If i turn my head completely to the right or to the left the connection drops. The right hook often times then completely becomes silent after this. I need to disconnect/reconnect the pod to my phone to make the right hook work again. It happens outside of my home when i go for a walk or a jog or to bike. In my home i couldnt recoconstruct the error.

I see in these posts above that the connection issue is a reoccurring theme. I will send it back.

Yeah.. i've been around. Pretty much killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another... wait.. wrong movie.. what i meant to say is that i've tried pretty much everything that promises to make your IEM wireless. The way i see it.. all of these companies.. they're all incapable of making serious reliable devices. The TWS quality and reliability level is on another level. I guess because the market is way more bigger with bigger players like SONY etc. The IEM BT adapter market is a tiny niche for weirdos (audiophiles) like us. No one gives a crap really.

My U12T has been sitting in its box for some months now. Instead i have been using a cheap TWS for my outdoor needs. Yea i will be looking closely at the UTWS15. And see if the same crap like the UTWS5 will be the case.. or some other amateurish design flaw or inherent bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back