[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Nov 4, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,681 of 2,559
New owner of UTSW5 here.
I am trying to get the aptx LL with game mode to work on windows 11.
It seems it is possible with some usb dongles that provide the bluetooth capabilities missing from the computer motherboard.
I purchased an eppfun AK3040 but either i am too dumb to understand how i can switch codecs or it's not working.
How do you pair the devices and see the UTWS5 after in windows?
Or do you see only the dongle and it does all the work?

I can send it back and get an other model if this one doesn't work, the idea would be to use a usb to lightning adapter on my iphone and do the same for more codecs support :)
Any help is welcome, cheers

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #1,682 of 2,559
New owner of UTSW5 here.
I am trying to get the aptx LL with game mode to work on windows 11.
It seems it is possible with some usb dongles that provide the bluetooth capabilities missing from the computer motherboard.
I purchased an eppfun AK3040 but either i am too dumb to understand how i can switch codecs or it's not working.
How do you pair the devices and see the UTWS5 after in windows?
Or do you see only the dongle and it does all the work?

I can send it back and get an other model if this one doesn't work, the idea would be to use a usb to lightning adapter on my iphone and do the same for more codecs support :)
Any help is welcome, cheers

Pair it with your phone first. Set the game mode and ambient noise level.

Go to your phones Bluetooth and click disconnect.

Now when you hear disconnected and pairing on your IEMs, go to your PC and connect.

If you're PC supports Aptx it's almost certain it supports Adaptive (LL) Aptx.

Once you connect to your PC you're now set to fast wireless and/or ambient sound without the app.

If you turn off the headset it will revert back to Aptx and no ambient. So you have to repeat if you charge afaik.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,683 of 2,559
I recently got a pair and gave them a go. I even have them renamed to "MMk2 UTWS5".

There are better solutions out there that sound better but you cannot beat these on a Unique Melody Mest Mk2. It's like putting pumpkin juice in a race car but it works and give me complete dad freedom to handle my kids and ignore the screaming and whining and still let in some noise.

Battery life isn't perfect but for what I get I'm happy. I'd love to see a high end model with top of the line but for now this is my jam.

Attachments

• PXL_20221020_010057514~2.jpg
    PXL_20221020_010057514~2.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #1,684 of 2,559
Wanted to report that on new phones oneplus10t no lhdc supprt only aptx adaptive and also had big hopes with nothing1 phone which from version 1..4 supports lhdc but somehow with utws5 only aptx adaptive max what i can get. Even in developer options you see lhdc but on device setting hd sound is only aptx adaptive available. So dont know if this from nothing developers or other reasons. Interesting if someone has nothing phone do they get lhdc to any bluetooth supported device?
same for me, OnePlus 7T Pro upgraded to Android 12 as soon as it was provided by the company directly, the phone is not rooted, no mods on it. selecting LHDC is possible, but it does not reconnect to that codec, it stays on aptX Adaptive no matter what I try in developer settings. I can clearly hear the difference when turning off HD audio, because it then goes down to SBC codec.

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #1,685 of 2,559
same for me, OnePlus 7T Pro upgraded to Android 12 as soon as it was provided by the company directly, the phone is not rooted, no mods on it. selecting LHDC is possible, but it does not reconnect to that codec, it stays on aptX Adaptive no matter what I try in developer settings. I can clearly hear the difference when turning off HD audio, because it then goes down to SBC codec.
When in developer options setting lhdc codec and going out and going back - what do you see ? It reverts back to aptx adaptive or stays on lhdc setting which you have selected previously? Because if it setts back to aptx adaptive this way i clearly know that lhdc codec is not supported by phone. It seems that no oneplus phone supports lhdc with utws5 sadly. Even if i use good old op6 which doestn have this it still was nice if this brand could support lhdc

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #1,686 of 2,559
When in developer options setting lhdc codec and going out and going back - what do you see ? It reverts back to aptx adaptive or stays on lhdc setting which you have selected previously? Because if it setts back to aptx adaptive this way i clearly know that lhdc codec is not supported by phone. It seems that no oneplus phone supports lhdc with utws5 sadly. Even if i use good old op6 which doestn have this it still was nice if this brand could support lhdc
It stays as LHDC in Developer settings, but going into Bluetooth information from the status bar on the top, it keeps showing aptX Adaptive, and no change is heard in the audio, meaning codec was not applied. I specifically tried it with rest of UTWS5-matching codecs and only with LHDC there was no quick cut in music when codecs were being reapplied, so yes, I assume it has more to do with OxygenOS and handling of the Android 12. and I assume that was last large upgrade for OP7TPro, however if they bring something new to the table for your model, I might be able to receive that via a custom ROM later on.
shame since I do not see any replacements in OnePlus line until they remove the notch completely, which I hate with passion. I am looking more towards Sony Xperia I Mark V once that comes out, or the successor to Xperia PRO-I. which means I will resolve that error in a different way, and I assume there aren't many of us with similar combo. UTWS7 might also come out faster than fix for LHDC :wink:

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #1,687 of 2,559
Looks like (somewhat limited) LDAC support may come in near future.
As far as I know Sony had problems getting LDAC working on QCC514x+ (and they probably abandoned that idea) at all.
LDAC (and probably LHDC too) will work at 990 kbps only with newer smartphones (exact models are yet to discover, but looks like 8 Gen 1 devices should work, 888 ones might as well).

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,690 of 2,559
If it was supported in more mobile models lhdc is very good codec. Even compared to aptx adaptive or other aptx, it is better sounding. Not worse than ldac for my ears but support as we see now is far from good. Only few brands such as xiaomi fully suports it and no major brands will ever get it to work

Nov 8, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,691 of 2,559
Taking in consideration FiiO's beta implementation of the LHDC codec and the fact that it can reach only up to 500/560kbps, I can say that I am hearing some of the benefits of the LHDC codec only when I am listening to .WAV files stored in my Xiaomi POCO F2 Pro phone via UAPP, and the phone is next to me. For the rest of time, listening to Amazon Music Unlimited and YouTube, aptX Adaptive is fine for me, meaning I don't think there's much difference between aptX Adaptive and this specific implementation of FiiO's LHDC codec.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,692 of 2,559
Yes lhdc at the moment not with his full potential in utws5 but even at curret state with tidal master i can catch better transparency and less distortions compared to other codecs. For low bit rate sources such youtube or spotify it is not worth for sure. Aptx adaptive more than ok. My only hopes that someday lhdc will be supported fully which teoretically could reach 1000 kbps, or aptx loseless will also be supported by fiio but this perhaps will be only on btr6 or 7. Either way future is bright for such devices and i believe we will see wire level loseless bitrates.

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #1,693 of 2,559
I doubt we'll ever see widespread adoption of LHDC. Look at how long AptX and LDAC in their various incarnations have been around and how uneven the support is in hardware and software. Most of the market is moving to full stack, optimized proprietary codecs like Samsung's SSC or Apple's tuning of AAC.

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #1,694 of 2,559
Yes lhdc at the moment not with his full potential in utws5 but even at curret state with tidal master i can catch better transparency and less distortions compared to other codecs. For low bit rate sources such youtube or spotify it is not worth for sure. Aptx adaptive more than ok. My only hopes that someday lhdc will be supported fully which teoretically could reach 1000 kbps, or aptx loseless will also be supported by fiio but this perhaps will be only on btr6 or 7. Either way future is bright for such devices and i believe we will see wire level loseless bitrates.
MQA is a lossy codec. It is neither of master quality nor authenticated.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #1,695 of 2,559
MQA is a lossy codec. It is neither of master quality nor authenticated.
Still bitrate is higher than youtube or similar. So not level of wire from sd card flac but for me enough to feel difference. Not sure if i can catch tidal master from full flac or waw file. So it is only newer ending war between mqa promoters and haters. I am neither of these. My goal is how to get best bitrate from available streaming platforms with best possible codec and bitrate :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back