[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jan 14, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #706 of 2,559
@FiiO , @FiiO Willson

The battery indicators in the FiiO Control App do not show the earhooks as fully charged, even after an entire night inside a fully charged case. It must be a problem with the App, because if I take them out and place them right back into the case, the battery levels rise up to 100% straight away. Otherwise one or both are showing as charged up to 95, 97 or 98%

Also, when will the UTWS5 become available on Amazon UK? Until this moment, it does not appear at all.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #707 of 2,559
Jan 15, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #708 of 2,559
This has opened my mind to a wireless future. Considering in the next few years we will have lossless Bluetooth or another wireless standard, even as it stands now playing lossy aac, this sounds 95% as good as wired imo.
Unbelievable how far things have come. I’ve got a wireless IE900 and it’s blowing my mind.

Attachments

• E471EA0E-403D-4DAC-B60A-449DFD071680.jpeg
    E471EA0E-403D-4DAC-B60A-449DFD071680.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • D65ED774-3C8B-4AB0-A1AD-C5CD5E61B847.jpeg
    D65ED774-3C8B-4AB0-A1AD-C5CD5E61B847.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #709 of 2,559
First ever device that I don't hate bluetooth. Incredible achievement. Thank you so much, @FiiO - your devices have brought me listening pleasure for many many years!!!

Two questions:

* Is the ambient sounds firmware update imminent?
* Will it work when music is paused (if it only works with music on that is kind of pointless)

Sending love from UK :)

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #710 of 2,559
@FiiO , @FiiO Willson

The battery indicators in the FiiO Control App do not show the earhooks as fully charged, even after an entire night inside a fully charged case. It must be a problem with the App, because if I take them out and place them right back into the case, the battery levels rise up to 100% straight away. Otherwise one or both are showing as charged up to 95, 97 or 98%

Also, when will the UTWS5 become available on Amazon UK? Until this moment, it does not appear at all.
Dear friend,

Is the battery pretection option on at that time?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #711 of 2,559
Dear friend,

Is the battery pretection option on at that time?

Best regards
No, the battery protection is always OFF, in my unit. One time only, I've turned it ON and then back OFF, right away. It is always set to OFF.

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #712 of 2,559
Anyone knows of a bluetooth receiver like the Fiio Btr3k which we can connect our stereo headphones to that can also receive a 5.1 signal and output an HRTF-embedded stereo stream? Just like dolby atmos for headphones does on PC.

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #713 of 2,559
Anyone knows of a bluetooth receiver like the Fiio Btr3k which we can connect our stereo headphones to that can also receive a 5.1 signal and output an HRTF-embedded stereo stream? Just like dolby atmos for headphones does on PC.
Sound Blaster GC7 is a desktop mixer DAC able to receive a 5.1 signal via optical-in (also has a Dolby Digital decoder) or via USB-C (when connected to a Windows PC - believe the GC7 identifies itself as a 7.1 external sound card in this case).

It has two DSP modes - surround (simulates 7.1 audio) and SXFI (holographic mode). SXFI mode feels as though you are watching a movie in a cinema without sound being "stuck in your head" with head/earphones on. This mode is first setup using pics or your ears (taken via mobile phone) and mapped to optimised holographic effect.

You'll need a separate Bluetooth transmitter though to plug into the GC7's headphone-out port.

I have a GC7 + Avantree bluetooth transmitter combo that I use to watch movies with my Bluetooth earbuds. Works great to get holographic audio.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #714 of 2,559
Thanks but that's too much of a hassle to setup in the livingroom. I already have the BTR3K which takes me 60% there, just need it to be able to receive 5.1 signal via bluetooth and convert it to HRTF stereo. I wonder if such bluetooth receiver exists.

I even wonder if 5.1 sound can be transmitted via bluetooth?

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #715 of 2,559
Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm bummed out and I guess I'm going to have to skip the UTWS5. Which sucks because literally everything else about the UTWS5 looks amazing. I raised this same concern multiple times for the UTWS3 as well and was hoping my feedback would have been incorporated.

This seems like a small issue, but has big implications from a usability standpoint.

Other QCC3040 or QCC5141 TWS workaround the inconvenience of needing to explicitly disconnect from the first device before subsequently connecting to a second device and it seems like that same behavior could also be implemented here by supporting an optional feature for the multifunction tactile button on the ear hook to force disconnect from the current device without going into automatic pairing mode.

Or, this disconnect mode could be initiated after holding the multifunction tactile earhook button for a fixed time interval like with the QCC3040 Soundpeats H1 where you hold for 6s to force disconnect from the current device.

To be totally clear, while multi-point would be ideal, that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting working around the lack of multi-point by improving the user experience for those that need to switch between devices.
Have we had any extra development into this case @FiiO ?

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #716 of 2,559
I even wonder if 5.1 sound can be transmitted via bluetooth?
The answer is 'no'. Bluetooth is strictly stereo (and mono) only.

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #717 of 2,559
I would love to see multipoint pairing on the UTWS5 in a firmware update. :)

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #718 of 2,559
This has opened my mind to a wireless future. Considering in the next few years we will have lossless Bluetooth or another wireless standard, even as it stands now playing lossy aac, this sounds 95% as good as wired imo.
Unbelievable how far things have come. I’ve got a wireless IE900 and it’s blowing my mind.
Can i get a link to the right angle adapter your using?

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #720 of 2,559
Is the MMCX connector on the UTWS5 relatively easy to detach from the ear piece? My old Fiio F9 Pro is attached to the stock cable (also MMCX) and it was extremely difficult to detach. I read that it was a common issue with Fiio MMCX connectors.

I'm interested in attaching the UTWS5 to my JVC FDX1. Has anyone tried this combo and care to comment?

Thanks.
I've been using jvc fdx1 with utws3 for months now. Great combo. I use the wavelet app to get EQ and bass.

I just got the utws5 today and it sounds great with the same IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back