[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Dec 30, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #616 of 2,559
Awesome. This was the validation I was looking for. To my ears, my Moondrop Variations / FH7 sound amazing on the UTWS5 via AAC. Running 320kps on Spotify is already a big upgrade from the AirPod Pros previously. To be clear, I was always satisfied with how the UTWS5 sound but got caught up in trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out of my new unit. I will just shut up and enjoy the music now =P

Thank you!
Completely agree about the Variations/UTWS5 setup. I got my Variations yesterday and I'm in heaven. Just amazing sound to my ears.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #617 of 2,559
Is this ambient mode available for ios or just android? I can't see to find it on my iphone.
Unless they pushed the update out early, I think it's only beta for Android right now and you have to ask them directly for access. It's supposedly coming out in a few weeks for both iOS and Android, although the implementation at this beta stage is mediocre compared to the Shure TW2. Fingers crossed Fiio comes through.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #618 of 2,559
Unless they pushed the update out early, I think it's only beta for Android right now and you have to ask them directly for access. It's supposedly coming out in a few weeks for both iOS and Android, although the implementation at this beta stage is mediocre compared to the Shure TW2. Fingers crossed Fiio comes through.
Thanks. Hopefully it turns out fine. Do you think noise cancelling mode will ever be developed for true-wireless adapters in the future?

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #619 of 2,559
Thanks. Hopefully it turns out fine. Do you think noise cancelling mode will ever be developed for true-wireless adapters in the future?
Great question. I have yet to see any evidence, but you never know. Would be pretty awesome. That said, the passive isolation I get with the Variations/UTW5S setup and other IEMs work pretty great.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #620 of 2,559
Great question. I have yet to see any evidence, but you never know. Would be pretty awesome. That said, the passive isolation I get with the Variations/UTW5S setup and other IEMs work pretty great.
i don’t think we will ever get active cancelling. The adapters need to know the exact innate frequency response of the attached IEM so it can generate a perfect counter wave. I don’t see that ever happening on a modular setup. Happy to be proven wrong though!

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #621 of 2,559
It was not in stock soon afterwards and now his store is on Holiday and currently unavailable.

Sound a but dodgy, and no shipping yet but he has 4 days to do so before I get refunded.

The issue is there is now other stores with it so it will be time wasted if he is/was a scammer.
Just FYI in case you need to reorder. My AptX Adaptive USB dongle shipped from seller "Wolfgo Store" within two days of payment. And they accept PayPal. I also ordered multiple USB-A female to USB-C male adapters from the "HOQO Store" to see what might fit my Pixel.

Separately, there is a high likelihood that the dongle might not work well for my set up (lots of BT devices around causing pairing chatter). If so, I'll sell it to another head-fier and pass on the audio love.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #623 of 2,559
I have received my UTWS5 two days ago, on the 30th of December, at long last, after waiting for it for more then 20 days! Purchased from FiiO's official store on AliExpress, they did their job right, but it got stuck on UK Customs for, like, 10 days.

I am very happy I got it and very excited using it! :)

It drives my 7Hz Timeless flawlessly, they fit inside the case perfectly and they sound great! Amazon Music Unlimited + some YouTube Vanced, aptX Adaptive on my phone. The fit on my ears is perfect, it's like the Timeless are glued on my ears. Everything works great! Bluetooth connectivity is excellent, in my house. I can leave my phone downstairs, in my office, and stream steadily upstairs, in the bedrooms. When it comes to call quality, I had a few WhatsApp calls with family and they can hear me crystal clear, like I am in the room next to them! I can hear them perfectly clearly, as well. I have not tried a call outside, yet.

Sonically, I am perfectly fine, truly satisfied, it can drive the Timeless really well! I have not tried, yet, my TRI I3.

I am really happy and satisfied from my purchase! This combination beats, by far, anything else I have recently tried, like the Melomania 1+ (I still own the M1), the Technics EAH-AZ60, the FiiO FH5s, all of which are now returned and fully refunded.

Thank you very much, @FiiO !! :) :)

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #625 of 2,559
I have received my UTWS5 two days ago, on the 30th of December, at long last, after waiting for it for more then 20 days! Purchased from FiiO's official store on AliExpress, they did their job right, but it got stuck on UK Customs for, like, 10 days.

I am very happy I got it and very excited using it! :)

It drives my 7Hz Timeless flawlessly, they fit inside the case perfectly and they sound great! Amazon Music Unlimited + some YouTube Vanced, aptX Adaptive on my phone. The fit on my ears is perfect, it's like the Timeless are glued on my ears. Everything works great! Bluetooth connectivity is excellent, in my house. I can leave my phone downstairs, in my office, and stream steadily upstairs, in the bedrooms. When it comes to call quality, I had a few WhatsApp calls with family and they can hear me crystal clear, like I am in the room next to them! I can hear them perfectly clearly, as well. I have not tried a call outside, yet.

Sonically, I am perfectly fine, truly satisfied, it can drive the Timeless really well! I have not tried, yet, my TRI I3.

I am really happy and satisfied from my purchase! This combination beats, by far, anything else I have recently tried, like the Melomania 1+ (I still own the M1), the Technics EAH-AZ60, the FiiO FH5s, all of which are now returned and fully refunded.

Thank you very much, @FiiO !! :) :)
Am very interested in this. Do you mind sharing how much it cost including duties/shipping etc?

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #626 of 2,559
Am very interested in this. Do you mind sharing how much it cost including duties/shipping etc?
Certainly! :)

£ 122.66 = the total cost

Order date: Dec. 01 2021
Delivered: 2021-12-30
Shop name: MeiRui Audio Store (official FiiO store on AliExpress), because the UTWS5 is still not available on Amazon UK

Hope this helps :)

Jan 3, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #628 of 2,559
20220103_182931_HDR.jpg

Woohooo got it from taobao. Now i can play CODm with it😅

Jan 3, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #629 of 2,559
Just got mine today, and love them. The one thing that stands out to me immediately vs the UTSW3 is the lower noise floor and the improved volume step adjustment. Makes using sensitive IEMs like my MEST Mk2 more convenient.

Overall, the build seems slightly improved to the UTSW3 as well. Notably, the case lid has a more secure hinge so it does not open or close unintentionally. The buttons on the ear-hooks themselves are also have a more tactile click, which makes mis-clicks less prominent of an issue. This is especially nice when using the double-click function.
Does it do justice to your mest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back