[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Oct 14, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #76 of 2,559
Based on my usage for a few days, I would say UTWS5 is about 95% of BTR5 via Bluetooth. It is not going to match a dedicated DAC and a lossless connection.
What is the process like for switching devices? If you have two devices paired, can you connect to the second device by simply initiating the connection through the second device Bluetooth settings (causing the adapter to automatically disconnect from the first device), or do you need to use the case to do a full re-pair? Can you initiate a disconnect from the adapter controls without the case?

Debating preordering, but with no return policy on opened items, I'd hate to buy something that doesn't work for my requirements.

Thank you in advance!

Oct 15, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #77 of 2,559
What is the process like for switching devices? If you have two devices paired, can you connect to the second device by simply initiating the connection through the second device Bluetooth settings (causing the adapter to automatically disconnect from the first device), or do you need to use the case to do a full re-pair? Can you initiate a disconnect from the adapter controls without the case?

Debating preordering, but with no return policy on opened items, I'd hate to buy something that doesn't work for my requirements.

Thank you in advance!
Dear friend,

The UTWS5 does not support connecting to two devices at the same time. But when the UTWS5 is connected to device A, it will enter pairing mode again after turning off the Bluetooth function in device A. At that time, you could connect it to the second device.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 15, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #78 of 2,559
Dear friend,

The UTWS5 does not support connecting to two devices at the same time. But when the UTWS5 is connected to device A, it will enter pairing mode again after turning off the Bluetooth function in device A. At that time, you could connect it to the second device.

Best regards

Even without multi-point, is it possible to change the behavior to accept an incoming request from the second device automatically (disconnecting from the first device in the process)? Or, alternatively, can you use the touchpad to disconnect/re-pair (from the adapters themselves) without going to the case or the first device to disconnect?

It's inconvenient to have to explicitly disconnect from the first device and then reconnect to the second device.

On my inexpensive Soundpeats H1 (with the QCC3040), I can touch to hold one earpiece for 6sec which puts it into pairing mode (without then auto pairing to another device) and then lets me connect on my second device without having to find my first device and explicitly disconnect.

A common use case is if you have a work laptop, personal laptop, and a smartphone. I might end the day on my work laptop with a video call using the UTWS5 and then forget to manually disconnect and immediately reconnect to my smartphone (if I don't do the second part, I'm back to square one, because auto pairing will connect to my work laptop again when I open the UTWS5 case). This means fishing out my work laptop later and doing a disconnect dance when I just want to go on a walk with my phone and listen to a podcast.

This is IMO a low-effort, but majorly impactful quality-of-life improvement that the chipset should readily support.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #79 of 2,559
Even without multi-point, is it possible to change the behavior to accept an incoming request from the second device automatically (disconnecting from the first device in the process)? Or, alternatively, can you use the touchpad to disconnect/re-pair (from the adapters themselves) without going to the case or the first device to disconnect?

It's inconvenient to have to explicitly disconnect from the first device and then reconnect to the second device.

On my inexpensive Soundpeats H1 (with the QCC3040), I can touch to hold one earpiece for 6sec which puts it into pairing mode (without then auto pairing to another device) and then lets me connect on my second device without having to find my first device and explicitly disconnect.

A common use case is if you have a work laptop, personal laptop, and a smartphone. I might end the day on my work laptop with a video call using the UTWS5 and then forget to manually disconnect and immediately reconnect to my smartphone (if I don't do the second part, I'm back to square one, because auto pairing will connect to my work laptop again when I open the UTWS5 case). This means fishing out my work laptop later and doing a disconnect dance when I just want to go on a walk with my phone and listen to a podcast.

This is IMO a low-effort, but majorly impactful quality-of-life improvement that the chipset should readily support.
Dear friend,

There is no button in the UTWS5 for entering the pairing mode again. You would need to use the charging box or disconnect for the first device for help when connecting to second device. It should not be too difficult.
Or you may check whether our BTR5 could meet your need instead. It could enter pairing mode by pressing the multifunctional button and it supports to connect to two devices at the same time.

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 15, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #80 of 2,559
Dear friend,

There is no button in the UTWS5 for entering the pairing mode again. You would need to use the charging box or disconnect for the first device for help when connecting to second device. It should not be too difficult.
Or you may check whether our BTR5 could meet your need instead. It could enter pairing mode by pressing the multifunctional button and it supports to connect to two devices at the same time.

Best regards
Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm bummed out and I guess I'm going to have to skip the UTWS5. Which sucks because literally everything else about the UTWS5 looks amazing. I raised this same concern multiple times for the UTWS3 as well and was hoping my feedback would have been incorporated.

This seems like a small issue, but has big implications from a usability standpoint.

Other QCC3040 or QCC5141 TWS workaround the inconvenience of needing to explicitly disconnect from the first device before subsequently connecting to a second device and it seems like that same behavior could also be implemented here by supporting an optional feature for the multifunction tactile button on the ear hook to force disconnect from the current device without going into automatic pairing mode.

Or, this disconnect mode could be initiated after holding the multifunction tactile earhook button for a fixed time interval like with the QCC3040 Soundpeats H1 where you hold for 6s to force disconnect from the current device.

To be totally clear, while multi-point would be ideal, that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting working around the lack of multi-point by improving the user experience for those that need to switch between devices.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #82 of 2,559
will i be able to use this with my M11 plus ltd and enjoy lossless wirelessly?

There is no completely lossless Bluetooth codec just yet, though some might have gotten very close.

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #83 of 2,559
There is no completely lossless Bluetooth codec just yet, though some might have gotten very close.
Yes I'm aware of that. I have a M11 Plus LTD, paired with the UTWS5 will my wireless game be substantially upgraded? I've read that LDAC is as close as you can get to "Lossless" wirelessly over a BT connection. Is this correct? I'd really like to enjoy the wireless freedom, instead of being tethered to cable.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #84 of 2,559
Yes I'm aware of that. I have a M11 Plus LTD, paired with the UTWS5 will my wireless game be substantially upgraded? I've read that LDAC is as close as you can get to "Lossless" wirelessly over a BT connection. Is this correct? I'd really like to enjoy the wireless freedom, instead of being tethered to cable.

Unfortunately UTWS5 does not support LDAC. UTWS5 seems to be the best option for sound quality for true wireless. If you don't mind to have a wire on your neck, you can use BTR5, which supports LDAC and has got more power to drive your IEMs.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #85 of 2,559
PSX_20211018_223646.jpg

In da house!

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #86 of 2,559
Unfortunately UTWS5 does not support LDAC. UTWS5 seems to be the best option for sound quality for true wireless. If you don't mind to have a wire on your neck, you can use BTR5, which supports LDAC and has got more power to drive your IEMs.
Ah okay.. Well that blows.. lol.. Okay so based on the gear I have, I can go with aptX-HD. Which on paper supports 24/48 right? Why then is FiiO advertising 24/96? aptX -Adaptive has a lower transmission rate than aptX-HD?

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #87 of 2,559
Sad, just tried my new UTWS5 and found the right side MMCX plug has a cold soldering join inside. Doesn't make sense to send it back due to the high return shipping fee so I am going to have to replace the whole MMCX plug myself (probably to 2 pins). My first lemon from FiiO in over a decade. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #88 of 2,559
Sad, just tried my new UTWS5 and found the right side MMCX plug has a cold soldering join inside. Doesn't make sense to send it back due to the high return shipping fee so I am going to have to replace the whole MMCX plug myself (probably to 2 pins). My first lemon from FiiO in over a decade. :frowning2:
Damn! That sucks! What do you mean cold soldering joint? Should't they cover the return fee since you got sent a lemon?

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #89 of 2,559
Damn! That sucks! What do you mean cold soldering joint? Should't they cover the return fee since you got sent a lemon?
It is a grey import by myself, so I'll have to cover the return shipping (which due to various circumstances, is several times more expensive than the forwarding shipping) though the replacement is probably going to be free.

Cold soldering join means the soldering join between the mmcx socket itself with the internal wiring is not secured enough and break loose on the inside. If you push the back of the mmcx plug lightly, the sound will come back. The only way to fix this is to cut the mmcx open and resolder the wire back, which will somewhat destroy the mmcx socket on the UTWS5 since it is molded together completely. I am actually thinking I'll just replace the whole thing with a 0.78 two pins instead as I originally have plan to get the two pin version when it comes out. Now I'll just repair/convert this pair myself and get a another mmcx version. Faster this way.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #90 of 2,559
It is a grey import by myself, so I'll have to cover the return shipping (which due to various circumstances, is several times more expensive than the forwarding shipping) though the replacement is probably going to be free.

Cold soldering join means the soldering join between the mmcx socket itself with the internal wiring is not secured enough and break loose on the inside. If you push the back of the mmcx plug lightly, the sound will come back. The only way to fix this is to cut the mmcx open and resolder the wire back, which will somewhat destroy the mmcx socket on the UTWS5 since it is molded together completely. I am actually thinking I'll just replace the whole thing with a 0.78 two pins instead as I originally have plan to get the two pin version when it comes out. Now I'll just repair/convert this pair myself and get a another mmcx version. Faster this way.
I'm sorry for the trouble, but if you don't feel comfortable with the problem, we can see if there is a better way.

I have given feedback to the factory to make the product better to avoid similar things from happening again.

I am very sorry:sob:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back