[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jan 22, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #751 of 2,559
I’m not able to connect Fiio Control App (1.1.4 ios) to UTWS5, been disconnecting/reconnect and re paired multiple times, but the app just prompt me back to the device selection.

Any solution?
Yes, delete the UTWS5 from your phones bluetooth settings, keep bluetooth on. Reinstall the FiiO Control App but don't start it yet. Put both Hooks back in the case, hold the button in the case for 15secs, ignore the led flashing white-red and keep holding until the led on the case turns of, then let go of the button. After a few seconds the led should start to flash white-red again. Go into the FiiO Control App, grand all permissions and wait till it finds the UTWS5 (you can click on the refresh button in the App to find it, if it doesn't do it on its own). Once it has been found, click on it. Accept all pairing requests.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #752 of 2,559
I have recieved my UTWS5 a few days ago but sadly had to RMA it to FiiO DE Shop :frowning2: The right hook was missing all its base or gave no sound at all when being moved just slightly. After some further digging I found the issue to be the flexible part of the ear hook, when moved/bend slightly it was exhibiting the issue. My left unit was fine. When swapping the right hook to the left IEM the problem persisted. I was using the UTWS5 with my ThieAudio Monarch MK2 for two days (2 Pin Version).
But let me tell you guys, for the few moments when it did work normally it sounded PHENOMENAL for a true wireless BT solution! It came very close to my wired iFi IDSD Signature. There only seemed to be a mild loss in detail due to AAC (I use an iPhone). But dynamics + noise floor are simply fantastic! Also more then enough volume!

I hope my replacement unit is here quickly, can't wait to get my UTWS5 back!

Attachments

• 2ffdebf0-de78-4680-bd12-be1625233d4b.jpg
    2ffdebf0-de78-4680-bd12-be1625233d4b.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #753 of 2,559
Hey guys, anyone else here observing this issue?

So, if you'll leave the earhooks inside a fully charged case for hours, like overnight, do they both appear as 100% charged, in the morning? Mine, very rarely appear as such. They usually appear as charged up to 97% - 98%, something like that. I've reported this here, twice, and all I was asked by @FiiO , was IF I have the battery saver ON, well I am not. Are you observing the same charging behavior? Hoping this will get resolved on the next firmware update.

This period, I am using my UTWS5 with my TRI I3, instead of their dedicated pair of 7Hz Timeless. The TRI I3 fit nicely inside the case and they sound decent. They sound OK, I do not feel I am missing a lot, compared to listening to them with my Qudelix 5K. Anyways, I am satisfied, I am just trying them a bit. The main IEM for my UTWS5 will be the 7Hz Timeless, which sounds fantastic, especially with the SpinFit 100+ tips.

Jan 22, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #754 of 2,559
Hey guys, anyone else here observing this issue?

So, if you'll leave the earhooks inside a fully charged case for hours, like overnight, do they both appear as 100% charged, in the morning? Mine, very rarely appear as such. They usually appear as charged up to 97% - 98%, something like that. I've reported this here, twice, and all I was asked by @FiiO , was IF I have the battery saver ON, well I am not. Are you observing the same charging behavior? Hoping this will get resolved on the next firmware update.

This period, I am using my UTWS5 with my TRI I3, instead of their dedicated pair of 7Hz Timeless. The TRI I3 fit nicely inside the case and they sound decent. They sound OK, I do not feel I am missing a lot, compared to listening to them with my Qudelix 5K. Anyways, I am satisfied, I am just trying them a bit. The main IEM for my UTWS5 will be the 7Hz Timeless, which sounds fantastic, especially with the SpinFit 100+ tips.
Yes I also observed this, could be that the battery percentage is somehow being reported incorrectly to the phone? However "Battery Saver" seems to work as expected, keeping the UTWS5 at around 80%-75% max.

Jan 22, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #756 of 2,559
Yes I also observed this, could be that the battery percentage is somehow being reported incorrectly to the phone?
Yes, I believe it is that, because if I take them out and put them right back inside the case, the level rises to 100% straight away.

Jan 22, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #757 of 2,559
@FiiO Willson @FiiO what does Game mode actually do to reduce lag? Is it turning of some features to reduce the latency, like on an TV game mode?
Probably reducing the audio data-rate to compensate for the lag created by transmitting bigger data packets. Something like negotiating a compromise between the phone/laptop and the UTWS5 to cap the data-rate and reduce the latency. Once your're focused on gaming or watching a movie you don't focus as much on the audio part thus a lower bitrate will produce a slightly lower sound but keep the latency at an acceptable level.
1642847746953.png

Jan 23, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #759 of 2,559
Guys, do any of you use the UTWS5 with APTX Adaptive? If yes, which phone are you using? I am thinking of switching from iPhone to an Android phone with APTX Adaptive, I was thinking about an OnePlus 9 Pro, as they dropped in price quite a bit. But unfortunately it doesn’t seem to support APTX Adaptive anymore, although the 8T did.

Also did anyone compare the difference between AAC on an iPhone, which has a very good AAC implementation, to an APTX Adaptive Android phone?

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #760 of 2,559
Guys, do any of you use the UTWS5 with APTX Adaptive? If yes, which phone are you using? I am thinking of switching from iPhone to an Android phone with APTX Adaptive, I was thinking about an OnePlus 9 Pro, as they dropped in price quite a bit. But unfortunately it doesn’t seem to support APTX Adaptive anymore, although the 8T did.

Also did anyone compare the difference between AAC on an iPhone, which has a very good AAC implementation, to an APTX Adaptive Android phone?
I use an old xperia 1. To be honest I cant reli tell the difference between aac and aptx adaptive.

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #762 of 2,559
PSX_20211116_211454.jpg

Got this little BT Audio USB dongle from Taobao because it is one of the first I ever saw with aptx Adaptive support (with Qualcomm QCC3040 inside) - and it kinda wow me immediately after first use. Audio is clear and most importantly video has minimum to almost no lag - all under aptx Adaptive as confirmed by the LED color on the adapter itself. Impressed.
I see it also has HD written on it, so have you tested does also aptx HD works?
Does it support HSP/HFP ?

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #764 of 2,559
Excuse me, I am planning to buy Timeless to pair with my utws3 . However, I am not quite sure that I can wear this set for running (1 hour a day) .Please you kindly tell whether they are suitable for that or not? Thank you very much.
I haven't tried running with it, but I don't see any problem using it for running.

Jan 24, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #765 of 2,559
@FiiO Willson
Any chance that UTWS5 will get LDAC in the feature? Or this is not possible?
Currently using my lovely BTR5, but want to go away from the wire at all. And LDAC support is the show-stopper for me, i'll have to stay with btr5 until somebody will release tws adapters with ldac (going to use with FH7)
The question is, how does the sound of the UTWS5 compare with that from BTR5 2021? Assume plugged into a FH5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back