[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jan 26, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #781 of 2,559
Common problem. My set would try to force connect to my phone even without battery saver enabled. Super frustrating. Lots of folks in this thread have reported similar behavior. It's unclear if all sets have this issue or if only a small sample are affected.
I returned my first set and then today, just got a new set. I upgraded to the beta firmware and I'm pretty surprised at how good ambient mode sounds. That said, I did have very very low expectations. I'm going to monitor the adapters and we'll see if it tries to force connect. Guessing it will, but maybe I'll luck out!

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #784 of 2,559
Sorry if this has been answered, but is their an EQ available currently with the UTWS5?
No EQ available on the UTWS5. However, Fiio rep on Head-Fi has indicated that it could be implemented in the future via OTA app updates.

Jan 31, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #788 of 2,559
Is there a significant sound quality difference between the UTWS3 and UTWS5? I don't listen at high volumes so the additional power doesn't seem like it would matter for me. The UTWS5 is unavailable on Amazon lately so I'm thinking about just grabbing the 3 to try out.

Jan 31, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #789 of 2,559
Is there a significant sound quality difference between the UTWS3 and UTWS5? I don't listen at high volumes so the additional power doesn't seem like it would matter for me. The UTWS5 is unavailable on Amazon lately so I'm thinking about just grabbing the 3 to try out.
I have both and honestly, it depends on the IEM. I prefer the 5 with my Clairvoyance, but not the 3 which I leave my Variations on. If you have never used them, I'd say get the 3 off Amazon, see if you love them and then maybe upgrade one day. The wireless charging and ambient mode with the beta software on the 5 is great. Also, I use my Shure TW2 adapters with my Kato and they work like a dream. Plus, they have a perfected app with great features. Check them out too.

Jan 31, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #790 of 2,559
I didn't notice any perceivable SQ difference with my SE846s when I owned both (controlling for output volume, ofc). What I did notice, however, was that the UTWS5 were significantly better than the UTWS3 with regard to connection stability, pairing, etc. The UTWS5 are not perfect in that respect, but certainly better than the UTWS3. Ultimately, I returned both and have been very happy with the TW2. But, if the TW2 doesn't work for you (e.g., large IEMs), you don't need to frequently change source devices (pairing is EASY on the TW2 vs. UTWSX), and/or you have VERY hard to drive IEMs, the UTWS5 are an OK choice.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #791 of 2,559
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #792 of 2,559
@FiiO will the 2 pin version be back in stock on amazon soon, or would i be better off ordering from ali express?

Feb 3, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #794 of 2,559
@FiiO This is a show-stopper for me. Current EQ options in the app are dreadful to the point of why did they bother.
I have to say...recently bought a Qudelix 5k to play around with EQ for my IEMs. I am not a huge fan of the BTR5 or Qudelix form factor vs. wireless earhooks but my goodness, their app is ridiculously good. Snappy, intuitive and I also have access / control over almost every aspect of the device. Not to mention pre-set EQs for almost every set of IEM (granted they're the profiles automatically created by the AutoEQ project). It almost made me consider carrying a bluetooth box with wires around again. :grin:

@FiiO, if you have a chance to benchmark, the Qudelix app is very good. A 10 band PEQ on the next software update for the UTWS5 would be amazing!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back