[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Nov 22, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #316 of 2,563
Is there any way Fiio could at least add aptx HD support via firmware upgrade? @FiiO

Hiby confirmed that new R6 2020 does not support Aptx adaptive despite having the codec listed and selectable from Developer menu.

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #318 of 2,563
I am in the process of acquiring some Type-C adapter that support aptx Adaptive. You can add aptx Adaptive to any device that support USB DAC that way.

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #319 of 2,563
No, the qualcomm chip supports what it supports.

And that’s why it should at least support Aptx HD. Right?
I am in the process of acquiring some Type-C adapter that support aptx Adaptive. You can add aptx Adaptive to any device that support USB DAC that way.

That looks nice? You mean i could add it to my hiby R6 usbc and than stream via aptx adaptive? Can you give me its link (PM is also ok).

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #320 of 2,563
Nov 22, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #321 of 2,563
@FiiO you guys might also want to consider stocking these aptx Adaptive adapter on your Ali store. I am sure plenty of people will want one.

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #323 of 2,563
Is there any way Fiio could at least add aptx HD support via firmware upgrade? @FiiO

Hiby confirmed that new R6 2020 does not support Aptx adaptive despite having the codec listed and selectable from Developer menu.
The engineer told me that the Qualcomm company does not support about that currently, so APTX HD may not be added for UTWS5, sorry.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 23, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #324 of 2,563
Is it worth getting the UTWS5 over the UTWS3 if my phone only supports standard Aptx? Do the higher SNR and lower noise floor of the UTWS5 even matter when Aptx itself has a much worse SNR and noise floor than what the UTWS3 already provides?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #325 of 2,563
The engineer told me that the Qualcomm company does not support about that currently, so APTX HD may not be added for UTWS5, sorry.

Best regards
I don’t understand how all the neck BT adapters have AptxHD and LDAC and no TWS adapter has anything past Aptx…

At this point cost/performance ratio would be better to buy a necklace adapter then. :frowning2:

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #326 of 2,563
I don’t understand how all the neck BT adapters have AptxHD and LDAC and no TWS adapter has anything past Aptx…

At this point cost/performance ratio would be better to buy a necklace adapter then. :frowning2:

You only need one chip for a necklace style adapter, you need two chip working together for TWS. I imagine that makes it a bigger challenge for higher bandwidth codecs like LDAC and AptX HD, especially in terms of signal strength and stability.

There are non-Qualcomm based TWS earphones that support LDAC, so it's possible, but I don't know how performance is and Qualcomm likely doesn't want to add LDAC support since it's a rival codec

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #328 of 2,563

Best regards
Woaah, wait a sec... I understood that APTX-adaptive was downwards compatible and inclusive of HD. Can you please confirm then a few things:

- on the M-15, will these connect as APT-X HD?
- on the Samsung S21 will there be any improvement for mic/call quality?

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #329 of 2,563
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #330 of 2,563
Woaah, wait a sec... I understood that APTX-adaptive was downwards compatible and inclusive of HD. Can you please confirm then a few things:

- on the M-15, will these connect as APT-X HD?
- on the Samsung S21 will there be any improvement for mic/call quality?

The UTWS5s don't support AptX HD in any way, that's been confirmed. I believe AptX Adaptive is backward compatible in the sense that if your receiving device supports AptX HD and your sending device supports AptX Adaptive, then your receiving device will get AptX HD. But it doesn't work the other way, so an AptX HD sending device won't send AptX HD to an AptX Adaptive device, so AptX HD from the M15 won't work on the UTWS5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back