[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #2,536 of 2,559
My first set had a faulty right hook too. Both sets would report fine down until about 75%, then the right hook would suddenly drop to like 6%. I couldn't return them because of battery posting laws in Japan. So I bit the bullet and ordered another set. This time the case was faulty and doesn't charge. So I had to combine the working case A with the working hooks B to make a working unit C.

Since I couldn't return the faulty unit A, I decided that I'd try soldering in some new batteries. And it worked. The units charged up, connected, and played fine. But the issue was still there. The right hook would suddenly drop to like 5%. So it wasn't a battery issue at all. I have no idea what is wrong with it.
I think your right hook is malfunctioned. I tear down a set of broken UTWS5 and found no battery management chip inside the earhooks, so the battery report maybe come from the main QCC5141 chip itself. If its indeed broken then there is no fix. Quality control is bad.
Does this mean that support has also been stopped? Can we count on new firmwares? You shouldn't leave your flagship product half-finished, after all, it's not that cheap for that. A similar product FW5 recently received new firmware, and nothing for us either. I don’t like it, I bought an UTWS5 not long ago, less than a year.
@FiiO please update the firmware of UTWS5 too. And tell the engineers to unlock LHDC 900/990kbps, I know you are artificially blocked them.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #2,537 of 2,559
I think your right hook is malfunctioned. I tear down a set of broken UTWS5 and found no battery management chip inside the earhooks, so the battery report maybe come from the main QCC5141 chip itself. If its indeed broken then there is no fix. Quality control is bad.
Yep, quality control is absolute trash. Like I said when I ordered a replacement, its charging case was DOA as well. The light on the case pulses constantly when it's plugged in, but the case itself never actually charges, and doesn't deliver any charge to the earhooks either.

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #2,538 of 2,559
I found a solution for sound cut offs on my utws5 , im using samsung s23 when i enable ldac after few minutes i had sound cut offs then i disabled location and changed my wifi connection from 5ghz to 2.4 ghz i dont know which solved my problem but i never experienced any problem about sound drops again also im using 900kbs. With my shure 846 sound is great after enabling ldac

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #2,541 of 2,559
I don't typically have drop outs with LDAC in my entry-level Galaxy A13, unless for obvious reasons -- e.g.: when I go for a walk and the phone is in the pocket.

I have switched back to aptX a couple of times only. Other than that, it has been constantly on LDAC. No complaints here.

Apr 1, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #2,542 of 2,559
@FiiO
My UTWS5 right side has stoped charging, it has no corrosion (unlike the left side which is severely corroded but surprisingly still charges)
Product is out of warranty.
Please advise.

Attachments

• IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8985.jpeg
    IMG_8985.jpeg
    859.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #2,543 of 2,559
It seems the UTWS5 is an ongoing hot-potato so I guess it is only a matter of time it happens on my unit as well... :hourglass_flowing_sand:

More here: https://m.weibo.cn/status/4983884540283259

2. The main reason for discontinuing the production of UTWS5 is that the repair rate of UTWS5 is much higher than that of other FiiO models. According to our analysis, the failure is mainly caused by sweat corroding the contacts. We have also used plating process materials to improve the contacts, and changed the mold to increase the distance between the three contacts.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #2,544 of 2,559
@FiiO
My UTWS5 right side has stoped charging, it has no corrosion (unlike the left side which is severely corroded but surprisingly still charges)
Please advise.
Dear friend,

Hi, if you don't mind, you could contact support@fiio.com and send the UTWS5 to us for check.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 2, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #2,545 of 2,559
Dear friend,

Hi, if you don't mind, you could contact support@fiio.com and send the UTWS5 to us for check.

Best regards
Thanks but shipping this to China and paying taxes when you send it back is going to cost more than the unit is worth.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #2,546 of 2,559
@FiiO
Please advise.

Yep, a similar thing happened to me, and I was banned from shipping a rechargeable case from Japan to China (not sure if this is a rule in other countries).

Long story short, I just had to bin that unit. There was nothing I could do about it and ended up buying a second one. But then one of the hooks on the second one was faulty.

So I had to use the charging case from the first unit with the hooks from the second unit, cost me over $200 to get one working unit.

The UTWS5 is a total disaster, can't believe Fiio screwed it up so much when their products are usually so good.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #2,547 of 2,559
Yep, a similar thing happened to me, and I was banned from shipping a rechargeable case from Japan to China (not sure if this is a rule in other countries).

Long story short, I just had to bin that unit. There was nothing I could do about it and ended up buying a second one. But then one of the hooks on the second one was faulty.

So I had to use the charging case from the first unit with the hooks from the second unit, cost me over $200 to get one working unit.

The UTWS5 is a total disaster, can't believe Fiio screwed it up so much when their products are usually so good.
This was my second unit, the first one was the version with the 3 pins at the bottom, it lasted 6 months and it was replaced with this 2 + 1 pin version than although a much better design, has only lasted just over the warranty. I really like the sound and comfortable design of the UTWS5 so hopefully, the new wireless units they are working on will be good enough to lasts well beyond that.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #2,548 of 2,559
When I wear utws5, charging contacts don't touch neck skin, it holds on upper part of an ear. May be Im lucky, still charging well, but not from first try after puting at case, also didn't have phantom connects.
Most sad part, ldac only work in 660 kbps mode.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #2,549 of 2,559
When I wear utws5, charging contacts don't touch neck skin, it holds on upper part of an ear. May be Im lucky, still charging well, but not from first try after puting at case, also didn't have phantom connects.
Most sad part, ldac only work in 660 kbps mode.
I am really not that concerned about the UTWS5 LDAC implementation, it was an afterthought and is clearly labelled as experimental. I use the UTWS5 mostly outdoors and in that noisy environment, 320, 660 or 990kbs are practically undiscernible.
Nevertheless, I do expect the wireless charging revision to have LDAC fully integrated and functional at max resolution.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #2,550 of 2,559
Is there a better alternative to this product now? Is Fiio working on an updated version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back