[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jun 16, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #2,121 of 2,559
I've installed the latest, 1.71, firmware in one of my UTWS5 units. It took a while and a few attempts, resetting everything, had to uninstall and re-install the App, as well.

LDAC seems to work with both of my phones, the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and the Xiaomi POCO F2 Pro. To be sure, I've disabled all other codecs in the FiiO Control App and left just LDAC. Both phones report LDAC Bluetooth connection.

With my S23 Ultra the Bluetooth range seems to be better.

As it appears, though, the firmware is buggy. I was listening for a while via UAPP, all seemed to go well. After a little while the sound started to cut off. I had the phone in the same room with me. Then it stopped playing and I had to put it back into the case, then take it out, to start playing again. The same happened when I was listening to the news in a radio station.

I will keep this firmware for a week for further testing.

Thanks for the effort, @FiiO

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #2,122 of 2,559
Which phone are you using? It's expected behavior if your phone doesn't support QHS
My phone does not support SnapDragon (FiiO do not claim it has to but do mention it can help due to the bandwidth), Andprid has had Android support for years well berore SnapDragon and all others work inc my FiiO's neckband.

I will keep my posts from now on in the FW5 thread, just wanted to let you know about the update and my issues and remember this is experimental not final.

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #2,125 of 2,559
Upgraded to new firmware V1.71
Android kept failing so I upgraded via IOS. It took 14 minutes
I paired it with my Samsung Galaxy Fold 3 And Selected LDAC, LHDC and ACC (those are the codecs I use) from within the FiiO control app.
Once that’s done, go to Bluetooth settings, click on the gear icon next to the UTWS5 and enable high quality LDAC audio then, go to developer options and enable LDAC , 32 bit, 96khz and optimised for Audio quality. Best effort is the default, and full beans has to be selected from developers options every time the UTWS5 is connected.
The Fold 3 works flawlessly, and has a very good range of 8 meters with a couple of walls in between at full resolution. *1

Sadly, M17 is a different experience.
Even with the player next to me, LDAC is very unstable at full resolution but, downgrading to Balanced audio setting, provides a solid connection.
LHDC works as before, it will downgrade to balanced optimisation a few seconds after selecting full beans. So no improvement in that regard.

Other than my iPad and my Apple TV brick (AAC) I have no other devices to connect to.
*1- when exceeding good sound range and crackling appears, disconnection and reconnection, as well as a visit to developers settings to enable full beans from the default best effort, is required to re-establish a good connection again.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #2,126 of 2,559
I can happily report LDAC at maximum settings working fine on my Xiaomi 12S Ultra and 13 Ultra (with Snapdragon Sound). I will try on non Snapdragon devices and update later.
Screenshot_2023-06-17-03-54-06-805_com.miui.home.jpg

Jun 17, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #2,128 of 2,559
…Update…
It becomes unstable after 30-40 minutes of continuous playing. Doowngading to balanced 600kbs is very stable. @FiiO heading in the right direction but some more work needed.

Jun 17, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #2,129 of 2,559
Exactly what I am experiencing. After maybe like an hour or two, I am starting to hear "tsk-tsk" noises, like sound artifacts. I am using the LDAC at balanced/best effort on my Samsung S23 Ultra.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #2,130 of 2,559
Exactly what I am experiencing. After maybe like an hour or two, I am starting to hear "tsk-tsk" noises, like sound artifacts. I am using the LDAC at balanced/best effort on my Samsung S23 Ultra.
Yeah, same here with the electrostatic and loos of signal noises. But, switching to balanced becomes more stable. I have not stress tested it for more than about 90 minutes. I shall dive into it deeper when i have the time. Testing with Fold 3 and the M17.
We also need to remember that the LDAC sustained 900kbs maximum rate, can only be achieved with snapdragon sound certified hardware. The rest can only reliably operate at 600kbs.
Samsung is notorious for not fully supporting all that Qualcomm chips have to offer, preferring to use their own tech. Depending on location, they also have the nasty habit of using their own Exynos chip instead of the Qualcomm offering . Which maybe the reason we are experiencing the issues we have

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back