[FiiO UTWS3] True Wireless Bluetooth Module/MMCX/0.78 2pin/QCC3020/TPA6140A2/ Bluetooth 5.0
Dec 29, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #181 of 905
Just measured - my result shows the output impedance is around 1.5 ohm. Not quite as low as 0.7 ohm, but still very respectable.

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #183 of 905
Just measured - my result shows the output impedance is around 1.5 ohm. Not quite as low as 0.7 ohm, but still very respectable.
Hi,You have discovered this phenomenon, the fact that:
1, At maximum volume (output 0.92Vrms), the output impedance is approximately 0.68Ω.
2、Lower the volume by a few grams, output 0.66Vrms, output impedance at about 1.6Ω
Because the internal design output impedance of the TPA6140A2 varies slightly under load.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 29, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #184 of 905
Hi Fiio Wilson, I had contacted origin marketing in India as per your website but they replied they aren't sure when this product would reach India. Please can you update us when the product would be available in India?
Hello
We expect that UTWS3 will arrive India late next month.
However, I may not be able to tell you exactly time, as I am not a sales and there may be various problems with the delivery process
You can keep in touch with your local agent, which will be more suitable for you.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 30, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #185 of 905
Hi,You have discovered this phenomenon, the fact that:
1, At maximum volume (output 0.92Vrms), the output impedance is approximately 0.68Ω.
2、Lower the volume by a few grams, output 0.66Vrms, output impedance at about 1.6Ω
Because the internal design output impedance of the TPA6140A2 varies slightly under load.

That's interesting to know.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #186 of 905
I do believe that the UTWS3 at the moment is undeniably the best option for a using your favorite IEMs as a TWS. It aint perfect but give fiio a year or two then surely we'll see something near perfect. Be expecting my set tomorrow.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #187 of 905
I pre ordered the 2 pin UTWS3 for my STARFIELD but now have concerns it won't fit. Am I definitely better off buying the MMCX version and using an OE Adaptor? Thanks!

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #189 of 905
Definitely the same CF-01 as everyone else - I have confirmed my finding with another person and his CF-01 also has a 20 ohm output impedance as well. In fact, iBasso reps in the forum tried to dispute my finding in my thread when I first published the measurement by saying he would provide proof that it was 'just 1 ohm' but failed to do so (*he decided not to ollow up on his promise of proof).

No TWS adapter is going to beat ToTL Hi-res BT adapter (*LDAC or aptX HD supported) such as BTR5 (including BTR3K and Qudelix 5K, etc) as far as pure SQ is concerned. TWS adapter is more of a compromise between convenience and functionality, limited by both hardware as software. While TWS adapter has seen some major improvement in a year or so since we first saw its appearance in the market, I think we might need another year or so of major R&D catching up before it will be any real challenge to normal BT adapter. I'll however say that UTWS3 in itself is probably very close or somewhere in between those entry to mid-end BT adapters' level of performance, which is already pretty amazing considered a year ago TWS adapter is barely as good as entry level Hi-res BT adapter

Sorry, just realized that in my former post of course I meant "Not the same with UTWS3?" (have just corrected it)!
If it`s really like this with all units, that definitely explains the sub bass roll off with some IEMs. The roll off was actually the reason why I did not buy the CF01....though I generally really like its form factor and design.

I agree that we might have to wait some more to hopefully somewhen get the "perfect" TWS adapter. Though, I think in some years many of us might end up in buying TWS earphones instead of bulky adapters because I am convinced more and more audiophile companies will adopt this technology to their higher end models. :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #190 of 905
I do believe that the UTWS3 at the moment is undeniably the best option for a using your favorite IEMs as a TWS. It aint perfect but give fiio a year or two then surely we'll see something near perfect. Be expecting my set tomorrow.
Yes, you are so right, we are probably the only ones who can give people something to look forward to in this area
:dt880smile::dt880smile::dt880smile:

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #191 of 905

I agree that we might have to wait some more to hopefully somewhen get the "perfect" TWS adapter. Though, I think in some years many of us might end up in buying TWS earphones instead of bulky adapters because I am convinced more and more audiophile companies will adopt this technology to their higher end models. :)

The problem of higher end (and presumably higher priced) TWS IEM to me is the relatively short lifespan you are going to get out of it. TWS requires battery, which means expected lifespan of the whole IEM will be dictated by how long the battery will last. Generally speaking, you will probably going to get around 3 years of usage (if not shorter) before you will run into battery issue. For a normal all-in-one TWS, that means you will have to replace the whole thing, drivers and all, regardless how good it sounds as replacing battery on TWS is generally going to be difficult. But for TWS adapter, the majority of your investment (*the IEM itself) can still be used by changing to a new adapter or going back to wired connection. With good care, IEM themselves should easily last a decade or more, where TWS IEM only last a few years at best. This is why higher end TWS just doesn't make sense to me personally.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #192 of 905
Just got them an hour ago and yes they are really really a big improvement over the UTWS1, comfort, sound output, generally a better experience.
20201231_131138.jpg
20201231_131933.jpg
20201231_131920.jpg

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #193 of 905
The problem of higher end (and presumably higher priced) TWS IEM to me is the relatively short lifespan you are going to get out of it. TWS requires battery, which means expected lifespan of the whole IEM will be dictated by how long the battery will last. Generally speaking, you will probably going to get around 3 years of usage (if not shorter) before you will run into battery issue. For a normal all-in-one TWS, that means you will have to replace the whole thing, drivers and all, regardless how good it sounds as replacing battery on TWS is generally going to be difficult. But for TWS adapter, the majority of your investment (*the IEM itself) can still be used by changing to a new adapter or going back to wired connection. With good care, IEM themselves should easily last a decade or more, where TWS IEM only last a few years at best. This is why higher end TWS just doesn't make sense to me personally.

Yes, true, you got an important point here! This is in deed a problem!
Though, I think earlier or later, this problem will be solved - simply because "it has to be solved". Because, at least in my opinion, TWS is the future of portable audio and will one day completely replace cable earphones, even in the high end segment.

Solution 1 is that batteries have to be inserted in a way they can be replaced by the maker (similar to the ones of phones). So makers can offer a battery replacement programm for their earphones.

Solution 2 is that market pressure might lower prices in the high end field , because currently high end earphones are way overpriced in my opinion. I think in future the consumer and high end segment will move closer together (also means consumer products will get more expensive, you can see the beginning of this in products like the Airpod Max).

All of this might not happen quickly within the next 5 years or so, but again, my personal standpoint is all of this will happen as a process earlier or later...

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #194 of 905
2 days earlier delivery from HiFiGo (I did pay for the express shipping though). Took around 5 days from China to New York City.

First impression:
1) Damn great build and feel. Solid. Even though a bit big but nothing too much for my taste (I put it aside the stock Sony IER-Z1R case, a Fiio BTR3, and a MX Masters 3 mouse if you need the size comparison)
2) The connectors are small enough to fit smoothly into Sony IER-Z1R deep sockets. For Z1R owners out there, these feel great to me. The straight connectors are smaller than the stock cable so less pain (if you had that problem).
3) The buttons are easy to press. A tactile but light touch.
4) The case has a smooth matt finish. Love it!
5) Connection are easy. Literally took less than 1 min.
6) The amplifier seems to work wonders here. Max volume on phone and only 6/26 tick on the UTWS3 to get loud enough for Sony IER-Z1R (not easy to drive generally).

Note: I won't be including sound impression since it's only been a few minutes. But at first glance, everything sounds fine. Maybe a tad narrower soundstage. Will post more impression later.
Also, depends on your units, DON'T forget to take out the plastic covers on the charging case (in the picture). Initially I didn't see it and was wondering why the case button does nothing.
20201228_120815.jpg20201228_120824.jpg20201228_120839.jpg20201228_120855.jpg20201228_121048.jpg20201228_121347.jpg

please update on sound quality for this combo :) this will be my setup hopefully soon

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #195 of 905
Solution 1 is that batteries have to be inserted in a way they can be replaced by the maker (similar to the ones of phones). So makers can offer a battery replacement programm for their earphones.

Solution 2 is that market pressure might lower prices in the high end field , because currently high end earphones are way overpriced in my opinion. I think in future the consumer and high end segment will move closer together (also means consumer products will get more expensive, you can see the beginning of this in products like the Airpod Max).

Unless there are some international / regional law forcing TWS company to offer battery replacement program, solution 1 is never going to happen. Stocking replacement battery in itself is a logistic and financial nightmare for small company (li-ion battery naturally degrades overtime after manufacturing so company can't stock a large quantity of them or else most of the unused one will need to be discarded after a few years and the company taking a lost. Li-ion battery is also mostly made to order because different model needs different shape). The only way battery replacement can work on a financially sound level is that it either has to be quite expensive or it has to be quite large in scale - neither will likely going to happen on any TWS model. It makes sense for big smartphone company to offer battery replacement service because they have the scale of economy on their side when they sell millions of smartphones. But for TWS maker that might only sells ten of thousands of a single model ( (*this is a very optimistic estimation, most IEM company usually only sells a few thousand unit of any one single IEM model) at best? Not really. On the other hand, if replacing battery is too expensive, less people will want to do a battery replacement instead of just buying a new pair of TWS.

As for solution 2 - I bought my first pair of good IEM in 2004 when I joined Head-fi, haven't seen any real price drop on higher end IEM market for the last 17 years. In fact, the opposite happened (even during and after the 2008 market crash) where the price keeps going up and up. While I do hope to see price coming down, I won't hold my breath over it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back