FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #781 of 1,121
The R7’s ‘ace up its sleeve’ is Roon.

IMG_0786.png

Being fully ‘Roon-ready’, it’s transformed my listening experience. My R7 with the HiFiMAN HE6se V2’s via 4-pin XLR is complete Nirvana! :gs1000smile:
Definitely, I just don't need analogue part and will be the first one to buy "digital only" version with I2C output and both a traditional remote and HDMI for TV-based UI.

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #782 of 1,121
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #783 of 1,121
I've been eyeing the R7 as a way to free myself from Apple's BS when it comes to music on a desktop, but given how often companies like FiiO iterate on successful products, it made some sense to wait. Now, I'm hearing whispers of an R9 coming soon. If it has a linear power supply built-in, as well as other enhancements, I may consider that, or just grab a R7 when it goes on sale. Either way, one of these devices is going to be in my future.

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #784 of 1,121
I've been eyeing the R7 as a way to free myself from Apple's BS when it comes to music on a desktop, but given how often companies like FiiO iterate on successful products, it made some sense to wait. Now, I'm hearing whispers of an R9 coming soon. If it has a linear power supply built-in, as well as other enhancements, I may consider that, or just grab a R7 when it goes on sale. Either way, one of these devices is going to be in my future.
That's almost chapter & verse of how I'm looking at things too these days, LOL. I simply want a solution that allows me to remove my Macbook Pro from the equation for desktop music playback (local library only; zero music services for me).

I am entirely in the macOS/iOS garden basically my entire life. All my music is 16- and 24-bit ALAC, library currently on an external SSD (multiple backups, of course as well); managed by macOS Music app, though I use Colibri Lossless Audio Player so I can output bit-perfect with **automatic sample rate switching** (Music app won't do this part, sadly) to my DAC via USB.

It has been a little frustrating trying to find a solution that works the way I want it too, hahaha. I'm coming to the conclusion that the best solution for me is likely a different laptop (I would need something with sufficient RAM because Colibri loads my selected playlist into RAM...so a weaksauce, cheap netbook won't do it for me. :sigh: Imma keep an eye out for the impending FiiO R9 and evaluate the "lay of the land" and hope a solution reveals itself eventually. A second laptop just isn't what I want to do if I can help it.

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #785 of 1,121
To anyone thinking about buying this unit, please know of these problems as they can make the unit unusable for your use case. I dont think anyone has addressed them.
  1. If Gaming or playing video on PC, audio has a delay using USB(tested with different PCs WIN 1O, WIN 11, macOS (latest build)
  2. If you are using USB and the unit turns on before your pc then the audio delay is pretty significant WIN 1O, WIN 11, macOS (latest build)
  3. The Optical output is useless, as the audio cuts every half a second or so WIN 1O, WIN 11, macOS (latest build)
If your use case is not pc gaming/movie watching then this might be a great unit, but for people who game, this is a huge letdown. My unit is 3 months old, and running the latest firmware from fiio. These are some major issue that should have been caught by Fiio, and they are making the unit unusable for me. I have tried 3 different PCs, and 2 different Macs.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #786 of 1,121
To anyone thinking about buying this unit, please know of these problems as they can make the unit unusable for your use case. I dont think anyone has addressed them.
  1. If Gaming or playing video on PC, audio has a delay using USB(tested with different PCs WIN 1O, WIN 11, macOS (latest build)
  2. If you are using USB and the unit turns on before your pc then the audio delay is pretty significant WIN 1O, WIN 11, macOS (latest build)
  3. The Optical output is useless, as the audio cuts every half a second or so WIN 1O, WIN 11, macOS (latest build)
If your use case is not pc gaming/movie watching then this might be a great unit, but for people who game, this is a huge letdown. My unit is 3 months old, and running the latest firmware from fiio. These are some major issue that should have been caught by Fiio, and they are making the unit unusable for me. I have tried 3 different PCs, and 2 different Macs.
Yep - no XMOS chip, that’s why. It’s not designed specifically for video & gaming, and the lack of XMOS chip is the main issue why.

Hopefully the future R9 model will include one.

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #787 of 1,121
Hi,
thanks for the advice.
I was not planning to use this as a Gaming sound machine...

And meanwhile I found something that fits my needs better... So the R7 is not really an option anymore.
But if the R9 is announced really soon, I can give back the device I am currently using and get the R9.
Still no word about it :frowning2: And chinese holidays for next 7 days so will have to either blind keep the device or blind return it...

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #788 of 1,121
Hopefully some news regarding the R9 will come out from Canjam Socal. Fiio are showing it there this weekend.

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #789 of 1,121
Hopefully some news regarding the R9 will come out from Canjam Socal. Fiio are showing it there this weekend.
Hi,

If they are showing it, we should have more details about the specs :wink:

I am waiting to see what they will offer and the price they will ask for it.

At the moment I have a Shanling EH-3 and I must sayt that I love it :)
Sounds great, looks nice, does not have the problems with outdated Android version.
The only drawback : no EQ when streaming wirelessly...
But of course you can remedy that by using Neutron and stream wirelessly with EQ applied :xf_cool:

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #790 of 1,121
Hopefully runs newer OS than Android 10...
My only concern with Android DAPs (and other devices) - OS becomes too old at some point to support specific apps (e.g. streaming apps in this case). Android 10 might be perfectly OK today, but will Tidal, Qobuz, etc. all run on Android 10 in 2 years from now? :thinking:

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #791 of 1,121
Yep - no XMOS chip, that’s why. It’s not designed specifically for video & gaming, and the lack of XMOS chip is the main issue why.

Hopefully the future R9 model will include one.
Yes, this was very disappointing :frowning2: I mean it is sold as all in one, and many people game / watch videos on their PC, The problem would be solved if the Optical output didnt drop

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #792 of 1,121
i'm definitely looking for this form factor for my desktop use! gargoyle miniatures i saw some japanese site mentioned 3W @ 32ohm which is way better than my m17 or AK CA1000! with the pre-amp out, i could use this to replace my a90/d90 stack with the added convenience https://swcpoker.club/download of having a standalone android DAP. never try with m17 no idea if it could switch on the fly between android apps and to usb dac mode (fed from desktop).

cant wait to see more details and hope it'll be priced competitively.
Oh yeah I can guess what this is.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #793 of 1,121
Just a suggestion for FiiO here on this product. It has a lot of potential for use as a testing rig for new equipment.

Maybe in a future product there can be an R8/R9 with multiple headphone outs (2x 3.5mm headphone outs, 2x 4.4mm balanced headphone outs, 2x 6.35mm headphone outs on the front)?

So that people like me can A/B test new iems and headphones. The issue is that the product has to be able to volume match across 3.5mm, 4.4mm and 6.35mm headphone outs. Basically what the R7 already has but add more headphone outs and a tool to ensure volume going out is evenly matched across the various sized connectors.

I'm not sure if something like that has been made before. But I think someone who collects gear will be grateful for a product like this. Because even with DACs or amps with multiple inputs and outputs, it is impossible to accurately volume match gear that you want to A/B test to find differences.

A screen on the front, along with 2 volume pots could help measure and ensure volume is going in equally for different gear.

I admit I am the definitely the wrong target audience for the R7 as I don't really use AirPlay or Roon. Just a simple connect to PC kind of guy. But collecting gear is something I am sure everyone here is into.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #794 of 1,121
Just a suggestion for FiiO here on this product. It has a lot of potential for use as a testing rig for new equipment.

Maybe in a future product there can be an R8/R9 with multiple headphone outs (2x 3.5mm headphone outs, 2x 4.4mm balanced headphone outs, 2x 6.35mm headphone outs on the front)?

So that people like me can A/B test new iems and headphones. The issue is that the product has to be able to volume match across 3.5mm, 4.4mm and 6.35mm headphone outs. Basically what the R7 already has but add more headphone outs and a tool to ensure volume going out is evenly matched across the various sized connectors.

I'm not sure if something like that has been made before. But I think someone who collects gear will be grateful for a product like this. Because even with DACs or amps with multiple inputs and outputs, it is impossible to accurately volume match gear that you want to A/B test to find differences.

A screen on the front, along with 2 volume pots could help measure and ensure volume is going in equally for different gear.

I admit I am the definitely the wrong target audience for the R7 as I don't really use AirPlay or Roon. Just a simple connect to PC kind of guy. But collecting gear is something I am sure everyone here is into.
Hi,

According to some sources, the Fiio R9 was to be presentend this week-end.
No news about it it seems, so maybe it will be for another CanJam...
Let's see if you're heard, but I doubt it.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #795 of 1,121
R9
Screenshot_20231001_093600_com.google.android.youtube_edit_2105403607726131.jpg
Screenshot_20231001_093605_com.google.android.youtube_edit_2105388373318842.jpg
Screenshot_20231001_093553_com.google.android.youtube_edit_2105420077512587.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back