FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #797 of 1,121
Any news about the specs and price ?

Because if I look at the front, it is a little more refined, but nothing really different and front the back it looks like it has the same inputs and outputs the R7 has.

So changes should be internal : what DAC ; what headphone amp ; what price ?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #800 of 1,121
964ba7d4gy1hifkv54740j235s2dce82.jpg
964ba7d4gy1hifkv1ybhvj235s2dckjm.jpg
964ba7d4gy1hifkuzeuwsj235s2dc7wi.jpg

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #801 of 1,121
Hi,

Nice pictures.

Screen seems to be indeed bigger on R9 than it is on R7.

But what frightens me is that the guy on the second picture is obviously playing with Volume button and he has to push it to 95% and still has headphones over his ears.
With my current set-up, if I am at 40% in low gain I am already not able to keep the headphones anymore...
I hope he at least wears the 350Ohm version of the Fiio headphones :xf_cool:

So we're still waiting for the specs of this baby :) DAC + heaphone amps and power :wink:

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #802 of 1,121
Any news about the specs and price ?

Because if I look at the front, it is a little more refined, but nothing really different and front the back it looks like it has the same inputs and outputs the R7 has.

So changes should be internal : what DAC ; what headphone amp ; what price ?
Besides the screen and the design, the ports on the back seem to have changed as well. Judging from the low resolution render, I think there are two HDMI-ports taking the space of the USB-ports on the R7 which moved up (USB-C) and down (USB-A host) on the R9. I have no idea if the HDMI ports are for I2S and/or for HDMI-ARC but that is clearly a difference.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #803 of 1,121
Besides the screen and the design, the ports on the back seem to have changed as well. I think there are two HDMI-ports taking the space of the USB-ports on the R7 which moved up (USB-C) and down (USB-A host). I have no idea if the HDMI ports are for I2S and/or for HDMI-ARC but that is clearly a difference.
Hi,

You have good eyes. I could not identify that on the picture. Could not magnify the thing :frowning2:

But indeed that would be a good thing to be able to connect my GPU with HDMI ports to the R9.

Oct 3, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #805 of 1,121
But what frightens me is that the guy on the second picture is obviously playing with Volume button and he has to push it to 95% and still has headphones over his ears.
R9 has: Low/High/Super-High/Ultra-High gains. So... maybe the guy in the photo was on low gain? 🤷‍♂️

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #806 of 1,121
R9 has: Low/High/Super-High/Ultra-High gains. So... maybe the guy in the photo was on low gain? 🤷‍♂️
Maybe... ON my own device, in "Low gain" at 50% I'm alreay too loud when using the DCA Aeon Flow Closed and 35% is already loujd enoughtfor the SOny MDR-Z1R...

But still no word one the specs for the R9 ? Is there a thread somewhere ?

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #807 of 1,121
For something that is double the price of the R7, I would expect a built-in LPS, better DAC (since FiiO like chips, that new AKM 4499EX looks interesting), and maybe an SSD slot.

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #808 of 1,121
Yes - agree @PopZeus at this stage it looks smarter to use the R7 and upgrade the components around it if one needed to (ie. better power supply, external DAC/amp, etc)....what I like about the R7 is that it's a great base to build from!

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #809 of 1,121
Yes - agree @PopZeus at this stage it looks smarter to use the R7 and upgrade the components around it if one needed to (ie. better power supply, external DAC/amp, etc)....what I like about the R7 is that it's a great base to build from!
Hi,

Not sure I understand what you're saying here.
If you want to add an external DAC + an external headphone amp + an extrenal power supply, then what's the point of the R7 ?
Is it not "smarter" to get a simple streamer (maybe a Raspberry Pi4 with moOde ?) that will do the same for the same price with probably better results ?

The whole thing about the R7 is that is can be used as an all-in-on product. Should you upgrade, then that aspect is lost and the R7 makes no sense for me :frowning2:
But that is purely personal...
I've decided to go a slightly different route anyways :wink:

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #810 of 1,121
Sorry, I should have been clearer - if the upgrades on the R9 are minor and you've already paid for the R7, then for less expenditure you could upgrade various components around it (ie rather than buying the R9). R7 can be all in one, or simply be the streaming device as the source in a system.

I suspect there are some real advantages to the R9 we don't know about yet, let's see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back