FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 19, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #586 of 1,107
I decided to order the R7 so I can compare it to my Schiit Bifrost 2/Jotunheim stack. Source will be Apple Music (lossless or hi-res) through my iPad Pro. Driving some Sundaras connected via XLR.

If it matches up well, I think the Schiit gear and my iPad will be on the market. It would be great to replace 3 devices with one.

May 19, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #587 of 1,107
I just had a thought for @FiiO on the next iteration (i.e. R9)... perhaps support user-upgradable RAM? Without the tight space confinements of a portable DAP, having RAM slots available with removable RAM modules could possibly allow for RAM upgrades (from 4GB to 8GB, for example), and therefore increase some capabilities and/or speeds, especially if running more hungry applications. As long as the RAM specs were very clearly stated, and also that any troubleshooting support would require going back to the FiiO-supplied RAM as part of the troubleshooting steps, of course (therefore - if upgrading RAM using spec-compatible 3rd-party RAM chips, keep the original factory RAM chips in order to facilitate troubleshooting.

I'm not sure if FiiO would be open to this (after all, it opens up some support concerns for users who took the cover off their R9 and changed the RAM chips), or even if it's possible using the SoC options (e.g. Snapdragon 660) that FiiO utilizes, but I figured - hey, why not bring it up? After all, the R-series is almost like a really small desktop PC that happens to run Android. :)
You'd have move to a PC based system like a Intel Nuc to have upgradeable RAM options. That would increase the cost though.

4Gb is plenty for the R7 and DAP's, etc.

You have to appreciate the DAP market updates much slower than the Mobile phone market, with new Snapdragon SOC, increase RAM and internal storage

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #588 of 1,107
The nice thing though, since there is no battery saving features (this doesn't use a battery).

The device does not aggressively close any apps. It just keeps letting run them endlessly until the ram runs out. So 4gb ram doesn't feel so bad as apps don't close on me.

Though a crash will happen eventually with only 4gb ram.

May 20, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #589 of 1,107
Received my R7 and couldn’t be happier. Had been looking at a few other desktop units (Shanling, Astell & Kern. Quloos) but the fiio was less than half the price of the others. Very happy with my purchase next up the matching speakers and upping my headphones. I don’t have the best ears but noticed a big difference using the PL50.

May 20, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #590 of 1,107
We finally published our review of the R7!

https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-r7-review/

FiiO-R7-4-overlay.png

Did you experience electrical noise out of the casing? I've sent my R7 for inspection and exchange but Fiio Support in Germany told me that this is normal due to the used swichting power supply and nearly all units have this small noise problem. In your review nothing about this is mentioned...!?

May 20, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #591 of 1,107
Loving my white R7.

Seeing as I had a spare Raspberry Pi keyboard and a Logitech M650 Left L, both in white I paired them up. The keyboard is a nice match as its small, colour matched and has a built-in USB hub (3 "A" ports), so I've got my mouse and the Fiio KB1K (in white) connected to it and it now very easy for me to manage everything.

The only issue I have is that the mouse is recognised as a keyboard and it has no means of switching left and right buttons. As I'm left-handed I have my buttons swapped.

May 20, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #592 of 1,107
Loving my white R7.

Seeing as I had a spare Raspberry Pi keyboard and a Logitech M650 Left L, both in white I paired them up. The keyboard is a nice match as its small, colour matched and has a built-in USB hub (3 "A" ports), so I've got my mouse and the Fiio KB1K (in white) connected to it and it now very easy for me to manage everything.

The only issue I have is that the mouse is recognised as a keyboard and it has no means of switching left and right buttons. As I'm left-handed I have my buttons swapped.
Didn't realize they actually used left handed mice rather than take advantage of their ambidextrous abilities.

Like for other stuff other than writing.

May 20, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #593 of 1,107
Being left-handed, or more accurately, left side dominant, is more than just which hand you write with.

I have very little accuracy with my right hand, so need to use a mouse in my left. I could practice in my right so it improves but I do not see why I should force myself to use a device unnaturally just because the majority of people use them differently. I do use ambidextrous mice, but having a left-handed mouse is much more comfortable as it is more ergonomic. The ability to switch buttons also means that I can use my index finger for the main mouse clicks rather than my forefinger, otherwise I would need to rotate the mouse so that my index finger rests on the left button, but that means for the "right" click function I now no longer have a finger ready to press so need to shift my index finger over.

Also an ambidextrous mouse is not an advantage, it is a compromise to try and accommodate all mouse users without needing to spend money designing a proper mouse. Some do it better than others, such as Logitech with the G Pro wireless (I own one of these) as I can remove the unneeded side buttons on its left side and therefore have side buttons under my thumb and none where I can't use them. Others only give you a neutral shape but still put the side buttons on the left side for a right-hander.

May 20, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #594 of 1,107
Being left-handed, or more accurately, left side dominant, is more than just which hand you write with.

I have very little accuracy with my right hand, so need to use a mouse in my left. I could practice in my right so it improves but I do not see why I should force myself to use a device unnaturally just because the majority of people use them differently. I do use ambidextrous mice, but having a left-handed mouse is much more comfortable as it is more ergonomic. The ability to switch buttons also means that I can use my index finger for the main mouse clicks rather than my forefinger, otherwise I would need to rotate the mouse so that my index finger rests on the left button, but that means for the "right" click function I now no longer have a finger ready to press so need to shift my index finger over.

Also an ambidextrous mouse is not an advantage, it is a compromise to try and accommodate all mouse users without needing to spend money designing a proper mouse. Some do it better than others, such as Logitech with the G Pro wireless (I own one of these) as I can remove the unneeded side buttons on its left side and therefore have side buttons under my thumb and none where I can't use them. Others only give you a neutral shape but still put the side buttons on the left side for a right-hander.

Wow, such a well thought out response. Thank you.

May 22, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #595 of 1,107
I just had a thought for @FiiO on the next iteration (i.e. R9)... perhaps support user-upgradable RAM? Without the tight space confinements of a portable DAP, having RAM slots available with removable RAM modules could possibly allow for RAM upgrades (from 4GB to 8GB, for example), and therefore increase some capabilities and/or speeds, especially if running more hungry applications. As long as the RAM specs were very clearly stated, and also that any troubleshooting support would require going back to the FiiO-supplied RAM as part of the troubleshooting steps, of course (therefore - if upgrading RAM using spec-compatible 3rd-party RAM chips, keep the original factory RAM chips in order to facilitate troubleshooting).

I'm not sure if FiiO would be open to this (after all, it opens up some support concerns for users who took the cover off their R9 and changed the RAM chips), or even if it's possible using the SoC options (e.g. Snapdragon 660) that FiiO utilizes, but I figured - hey, why not bring it up? After all, the R-series is almost like a really small desktop PC that happens to run Android. :)
Dear friend,

We will report your feedback to the product manager for assessing. Thanks for the kind feedback.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 22, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #596 of 1,107
Quick question, guys: Would the other outputs work if I had an optical signal in?
Like the optical output and maybe the RCA Line out, Coax out, and Balance out?

May 22, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #597 of 1,107
Quick question, guys: Would the other outputs work if I had an optical signal in?
Like the optical output and maybe the RCA Line out, Coax out, and Balance out?

When I do Optical in from my pc, I can do the analog outs and all the heaadphones outs with no issue. However I've noticed if you do an optical in, you can't d an optical out at the same time (or coax out) from the optical input. However, line out, balanced out, headphones out, all work at the same time on my unit.

May 22, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #598 of 1,107
When I do Optical in from my pc, I can do the analog outs and all the heaadphones outs with no issue. However I've noticed if you do an optical in, you can't d an optical out at the same time (or coax out) from the optical input. However, line out, balanced out, headphones out, all work at the same time on my unit.
So the Optical in works, but If you try to do Optical in and Optical Out simultaneously, the optical out won't work.
That's weird; my old turtle beach headphones can do that without issues.

I wonder if this is a bug that will be fixed in the future.

May 23, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #599 of 1,107

So the Optical in works, but If you try to do Optical in and Optical Out simultaneously, the optical out won't work.
That's weird; my old turtle beach headphones can do that without issues.

I wonder if this is a bug that will be fixed in the future.
Dear friend,

May I ask why would you use optical out when using optical in? Thanks in advance!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 23, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #600 of 1,107
@FiiO

Is the standby bug being worked on ?

For connection configuration, my R7 is connected via coaxial out to my amplifier.

I have also made the following observation. For example, if you click on the standby link while listening to web radio via an app, the sound is turned off but the relays are still switched. The app also remains active in the background. The result is that the R7 is as warm as in operation. Which suggests that nothing here is in sleep mode or standby. Only the display and the LEDs are off.

If you click on the R7 via the standby link after a device start (no app open, relay not yet switched), for example, the R7 is practically cold and really seems to be in standby.

Can they please still comment on points 1) and 3) from post #530, thank you.

Best regards
Ali Babaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back