FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 14, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #571 of 1,115
I can't seem to find the "Search for new tracks" option anymore.

Where did it go? It seems to be replaced by a bunch of album play options.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #572 of 1,115
Was there an update to the Fiio Music Player app? I can't seem to find the "Search for new tracks" option anymore.

Where did it go? It seems to be replaced by a bunch of album play options.
Dear friend,

Which option? The scan for music option?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 15, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #573 of 1,115
For some reason the Scan for music option get replaced with Album suggestions sometimes.

But, seems to have come back again. No idea what happened.

May 15, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #574 of 1,115
Just bought this puppy. Using it with the PL50.

Very, very good effort from FiiO.

Doesn’t eclipse my M17 for SQ. But I’m not sure anything could!

May 18, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #575 of 1,115
We finally published our review of the R7!

https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-r7-review/

FiiO-R7-4-overlay.png

May 19, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #576 of 1,115
Anyone have any experience using this with Apple Music? I’m very happy with the sound quality and selection on Apple Music so I’m averse to having to find a different source but this device is very tempting.

May 19, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #577 of 1,115
Anyone have any experience using this with Apple Music? I’m very happy with the sound quality and selection on Apple Music so I’m averse to having to find a different source but this device is very tempting.
I use Apple Music installed on device and everything's Ok: sound quality, HiRes, no hickup, etc. My biggest complain is that I cannot use it via Upnp / DLNA or AirPlay.

May 19, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #578 of 1,115
Does the R7 have a built-in Mic for like talking to Alexa or for assistance?

like saying Alexa plays my playlist etc.?

May 19, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #580 of 1,115
That microphone would add another complication that would probably complicate things for the Linear Power Supply. I imagine.

I wonder if the the remote control can have a microphone. That would be interesting. Like for a smart TV. I imagine the 4gb ram would be the real limit to background tasks needed for the microphone stuff.

May 19, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #581 of 1,115
Use the R7 with Roon. And it’s faultless. It‘s the only way to use it IMO.

IMG_0461.jpeg

May 19, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #582 of 1,115
Use the R7 with Roon. And it’s faultless. It‘s the only way to use it IMO.

I have my R7 uconnected to a usbC portable 5tb hdd and use that to play to my desktop DAC and desktop amp. No need for a pc.

The R7 is usb connected to the desktop dac too. Interesting outcome.

Hdd (music) -USB-C-> Fiio R7 -usb-A-> A22 DAC -> Volot headphone amp - > Headphone/IEMs

No need for Roon server. Hdd onto the R7 itself. Can use any android app to play off my hard drive. Or stream Qobuz off UAPP app or the official Qobuz app (Qobuz official app suggestions are waaay better than expected nowadays. Roon suggestions are nice though ).

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #583 of 1,115
I have my R7 uconnected to a usbC portable 5tb hdd and use that to play to my desktop DAC and desktop amp. No need for a pc.

The R7 is usb connected to the desktop dac too. Interesting outcome.

Hdd (music) -USB-C-> Fiio R7 -usb-A-> A22 DAC -> Volot headphone amp - > Headphone/IEMs

No need for Roon server. Hdd onto the R7 itself. Can use any android app to play off my hard drive. Or stream Qobuz off UAPP app or the official Qobuz app (Qobuz official app suggestions are waaay better than expected nowadays. Roon suggestions are nice though ).
I’m just so pleased that the R7 works faultlessly as a Roon endpoint via WiFi, even with 24/192 and DSD128 files. A great effort from FiiO :beyersmile:

May 19, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #584 of 1,115
I just had a thought for @FiiO on the next iteration (i.e. R9)... perhaps support user-upgradable RAM? Without the tight space confinements of a portable DAP, having RAM slots available with removable RAM modules could possibly allow for RAM upgrades (from 4GB to 8GB, for example), and therefore increase some capabilities and/or speeds, especially if running more hungry applications. As long as the RAM specs were very clearly stated, and also that any troubleshooting support would require going back to the FiiO-supplied RAM as part of the troubleshooting steps, of course (therefore - if upgrading RAM using spec-compatible 3rd-party RAM chips, keep the original factory RAM chips in order to facilitate troubleshooting).

I'm not sure if FiiO would be open to this (after all, it opens up some support concerns for users who took the cover off their R9 and changed the RAM chips), or even if it's possible using the SoC options (e.g. Snapdragon 660) that FiiO utilizes, but I figured - hey, why not bring it up? After all, the R-series is almost like a really small desktop PC that happens to run Android. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• jjb3
Back