FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 23, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #601 of 1,107
Dear friend,

May I ask why would you use optical out when using optical in? Thanks in advance!

Best regards
For example, I can connect my TV directly to the R7 via Optical In and then use the Optical Out to the TV headphones that have Optical In and Out, I can daisy change up to 5 TV headsets which are enough for the whole family.

This will be for late-night TV watching.

and

xbox/PS5 to the tv, from the tv optical to R7 and from R7 to 5.1 dobly digital system. And night you connected the headphones. Optic and Coax is only one 5.1 input and output

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #602 of 1,107
Dear friend,

May I ask why would you use optical out when using optical in? Thanks in advance!

Best regards
It's ok I wasn't reporting it as a bug, just answering a question I saw in the thread.

And as to why, ok here's my setup at the moment:

I have my R7 plugged in via coax output to my chord qutest, going into my Auris Audio HA2-SF tube amp. Coax in to the R7 from my Schiit Eitr. (I use the computer audio, and the latency on the usb port just makes it not usable in that instance.) I also have the analog outputs going to my studio monitors direct, and one set going into my audio interface for fun loopback stuff in recordings.

Originally, I wanted to have optical in from the PC, and the out to the qutest to avoid another interface. (The usb on my pc is quite noisy, as they all are. Optical means there's no way from electrical interference to travel along the cable because there's no electric signal on toslink). So this way, when streaming roon, or anything local to the player, it uses coax (better input on my dac). If it's me just lisetning to a vid on youtube or something, i was going to just use USB in for it. However the latency makes that not usable. So coax or optical are the only options for me. (Hence putting the schiit eitr back in the chain. Glad i had one lying around).

The idea is on days when it's just too hot to run the tube amp, I use the R7 direct. (I'm using LCD-5's and HE-1000's v2 mainly). I bought this device because it can do everything in one box, and does it well. The fact that it doesn't pass-through toslink or coax is not a deal breaker to me, most high quality devices don't. (Would be nice though!). Just something to be aware of. (For the record, every other thing I've tried to do with this device it does. This replaced my streamers, AND gave me a headphone amp to use on super hot days. Quite happy with it.)

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #603 of 1,107
My scenario I was planning: I have a TV with Xbox/PS5 (or play something on the TV) and the sounds going from the TV by Optic cable. I want to connect the TV to R7 optical in and pass the signal to optical out where I have connected the 5.1 Dolby digital system - this case I use during the day but for the night I want to switch to the headphones and I don't want to shuffle cables all the time. Optic out is only one 5.1 output from R7. Is this optic/coax passthrough issue something Fiio can fixed?

May 24, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #604 of 1,107
@FiiO are the any plans to enable the Opital pass true to be enable in the future, or this is something that cannot be enable ever?

May 24, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #605 of 1,107
@FiiO are the any plans to enable the Opital pass true to be enable in the future, or this is something that cannot be enable ever?
Dear friend,

We have reported to the engineer for assessing first.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 26, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #607 of 1,107
I got it after reading reviews, but most of them failed to mention the latency when used in usb dac mode-- it is basically unusable. It is a great device but I might have to return it just for that. Does anyone here know if FiiO can fix it in a firmware update?

May 26, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #608 of 1,107
I got it after reading reviews, but most of them failed to mention the latency when used in usb dac mode-- it is basically unusable. It is a great device but I might have to return it just for that. Does anyone here know if FiiO can fix it in a firmware update?
I need to reiterate what I already said: it seems that the problem is no wide-spread on all devices or not with the same magnitude. At least on my device is almost impossible ro detect it. If I hadn't heard here, probably I never hadn't see it! I tried to do some measurements following some instructions on YouTube, but is difficult to determine the ammount of latency because is almost inexistent.

May 27, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #612 of 1,107
My scenario I was planning: I have a TV with Xbox/PS5 (or play something on the TV) and the sounds going from the TV by Optic cable. I want to connect the TV to R7 optical in and pass the signal to optical out where I have connected the 5.1 Dolby digital system - this case I use during the day but for the night I want to switch to the headphones and I don't want to shuffle cables all the time. Optic out is only one 5.1 output from R7. Is this optic/coax passthrough issue something Fiio can fixed?

If I understand correctly,

- If you want to stream any video from your TV/ Media Box / Gaming Console and like to use R7's Digital Inputs and sound delivered to your Headphone then you are out of luck here as you immediately notice serious lip-syncing issues due to a lack of any XMOS chip inside R7. But if the video generates inside the R7 unit / OS then you don't have any problem.

This is the only reason I skip it. Here you can't have it all - this device will not function As Hi Res Andriod DAP + All Sound Solution for your TV/Streaming/Gaming needs despite having so many connectivity options with so powerful headphone amplifiers.

May 28, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #613 of 1,107
If I want to use the R7 as a transport only (for Apple Music and SD card), to connect it to an external DAC, which mode to use? And which USB port, USB A or USB C or any?

May 28, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #614 of 1,107
If I want to use the R7 as a transport only (for Apple Music and SD card), to connect it to an external DAC, which mode to use? And which USB port, USB A or USB C or any?
You need to use the LO (line output).
No need to connect to a PC.
This is an Android player, just install Apple music and use the FiiO player to play music from the SD card.

May 28, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #615 of 1,107
You need to use the LO (line output).
No need to connect to a PC.
This is an Android player, just install Apple music and use the FiiO player to play music from the SD card.
Cannot connect to an external USB DAC? (Should have made the point clear - not trying to connect to a computer, but an external USB DAC). Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back