FiiO Q7 Portable Desktop-Class DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #347 of 714
@FiiO Will the per-feature of the BTR 7 come to the Q7? with that feature, the Q7 would be the perfect all in one Solution.
Dear friend,

Which feature of BTR7 would you like to add for the Q7?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 17, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #351 of 714
Finally got mine today! Here are some of my random thoughts:

-This is the most expensive headphone amp I've ever owned. Theoretically, it should then be the best-sounding and that does seem to be true. It beats out the iFi Gryphon in my opinion.
-Although I was worried this would be "semi-portable", it is not quite as big and ungainly as I was imagining. It's heavy for a portable, but it is portable, and as a laptop user, I think this is perfect for laptop listening.
-I wish the color on the volume knob indicated volume level rather than bitrate. The lights on the side already indicate bitrate. We don't really need two bitrate indicators. One thing I liked about the Gryphon was the use of color to indicate volume level, so it's instantly obvious which volume range you're in. Here the only way to tell is to wake up the screen with the power button. So having to wake up the screen to adjust the volume between genres (because some genres need to be listened to at different volumes) is kind of annoying.
-Which brings me to my next gripe: the screen. I wish there were a way to rotate its orientation. It's clear that this amp is meant to be used in one orientation. But with my setup, it makes much more sense to use it lying flat on the desk or couch or whatever with the headphone-out and knob toward me and the USB connection away from me (and this is indeed how I used the Gryphon and the Fiio Q5). But doing this with the Q7 means the screen is upside-down. For something portable it should be more accommodating to different uses rather than the one orientation.
-As with all devices that have these filters, I really don't understand them or how they affect the sound.

Other than that, I'm really liking it so far and I can't wait to test it with more headphones. :)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #352 of 714
I am considering buying Q7, but wondering how the sounds compare to K9 Pro? (Just in terms of sound quality, forget about the portability)

Nov 17, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #353 of 714
Finally got mine today! Here are some of my random thoughts:

-This is the most expensive headphone amp I've ever owned. Theoretically, it should then be the best-sounding and that does seem to be true. It beats out the iFi Gryphon in my opinion.
-Although I was worried this would be "semi-portable", it is not quite as big and ungainly as I was imagining. It's heavy for a portable, but it is portable, and as a laptop user, I think this is perfect for laptop listening.
-I wish the color on the volume knob indicated volume level rather than bitrate. The lights on the side already indicate bitrate. We don't really need two bitrate indicators. One thing I liked about the Gryphon was the use of color to indicate volume level, so it's instantly obvious which volume range you're in. Here the only way to tell is to wake up the screen with the power button. So having to wake up the screen to adjust the volume between genres (because some genres need to be listened to at different volumes) is kind of annoying.
-Which brings me to my next gripe: the screen. I wish there were a way to rotate its orientation. It's clear that this amp is meant to be used in one orientation. But with my setup, it makes much more sense to use it lying flat on the desk or couch or whatever with the headphone-out and knob toward me and the USB connection away from me (and this is indeed how I used the Gryphon and the Fiio Q5). But doing this with the Q7 means the screen is upside-down. For something portable it should be more accommodating to different uses rather than the one orientation.
-As with all devices that have these filters, I really don't understand them or how they affect the sound.

Other than that, I'm really liking it so far and I can't wait to test it with more headphones. :)
agree with color for volume, hugo 2 has that.

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #355 of 714
I need some help! Are there Apple Music subscribers here who are as well android users? I tested both iPhone and iPad, and also on an Android phone. The music is clearly downsampled and with a lot of distortion as compared connecting via a Macbook Pro (with proper Midi setup). Is there a way I can make Q7 the native dac using the android phone? I bet there is no hope for iPhone and iPad...

Nov 18, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #356 of 714
I need some help! Are there Apple Music subscribers here who are as well android users? I tested both iPhone and iPad, and also on an Android phone. The music is clearly downsampled and with a lot of distortion as compared connecting via a Macbook Pro (with proper Midi setup). Is there a way I can make Q7 the native dac using the android phone? I bet there is no hope for iPhone and iPad...
There is still hope for iPhone and iPad.
The settings for High-res is the Settingsmenu under the Music-App Settings, Audioquality (Bitdepth and samplingrate are automatically adjusted). But you have to select high-red for all 3 cases (Stream, Wi-Fi, download).
Android and bit-perfect can be a pita. But there are my only experiences with fiios m11+.

Nov 18, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #357 of 714
There is still hope for iPhone and iPad.
The settings for High-res is the Settingsmenu under the Music-App Settings, Audioquality (Bitdepth and samplingrate are automatically adjusted). But you have to select high-red for all 3 cases (Stream, Wi-Fi, download).
Android and bit-perfect can be a pita. But there are my only experiences with fiios m11+.

It doesn't work for both iPhone and Android. It is clearly downsampled even if the high-res is selected. For Android phones, even if it shows 192k sample rate on Q7, it is clearly downsampled. I saw there is some discussion about making the external dac as the native one, bypassing the internal dac in the phone.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #358 of 714
It doesn't work for both iPhone and Android. It is clearly downsampled even if the high-res is selected. For Android phones, even if it shows 192k sample rate on Q7, it is clearly downsampled. I saw there is some discussion about making the external dac as the native one, bypassing the internal dac in the phone.

There must be something specific about your setup that has went wrong. I have both iPhone and iPad and both play at the correct sample rate as indicated by the Apple Music app and the external DAC (USB connection, of course). Also, I have an Android tablet and multiple Android DAPs that do the same. Why do you think it's downsampling? It seems unlikely that Apple or FiiO are falsely reporting sample rate.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #359 of 714
Okay, one thing I’m not liking about the Q7 after testing it more today is that if you pause/stop music, after about a minute or so, the Q7 partially shuts off, dropping the connection, and when you restart the music, it takes a little while for the device to start back up again (including a pop in the audio signal). I don’t know if this is a battery-saving feature or something, but it’s kind of annoying since other portable amps I’ve used don’t do this.

It doesn’t take long to turn the device on and off, so I’d rather do it myself or there could be an auto-shut off after 15 minutes or something. I don’t like the way it currently handles this though.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #360 of 714
The iPhone and iPad should output bit-perfect without down-sampling, if you're using a newer phone with a newer iOS, and you're using the Camera Connection Kit or similarly compatible cable with it.
Android would usually down-sample -- I don't remember if the latest Android versions fixed this.
More information about what iOS and Android version you're using would be helpful here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back