[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 3, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #871 of 3,226
Very curious about the Q5S. So I'm in. Looks like a nice piece of kit.

Aug 3, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #873 of 3,226
Excited for the am3a module! Q5s looks to be a very solid product!
I believe the AM3A is the default amp for the original Q5. You should be able to find one fairly easily.

Aug 3, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #875 of 3,226
I tried comparing, level-matched, the Q5 with the Q5S, both using the AM3E module, and there is almost nothing in it. With the best music I have to hand, Chesky binaural albums, I felt that the Q5S was possibly very slightly better. It seems most of the improvement has been through the amp modules.

True, but aren't we already at the point with DACs such as the Q5s has that we can't really improve anything audible? We can improve on super sensitive measurement performance, but that doesn't mean we can hear these things.

Currawong posted in the other thread about his take on Q5S. I guess when it comes to sound quality of DACs and amps, all manufacturers are achieving kind of best sound quality currently. Discernible changes are mostly due to coloration of sound by design, if at all. Most of the times it boils down to addition of extra features make these devices popular and attractive. We probably see this with Q5S. It has few more features up the sleeve against Q5. Improved Bluetooth codec support is the major one and AM3D module may give slight edge. However so far what I have read shows AM3E is right up there with more connectivity options.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #877 of 3,226
No, unfortunately. I'm wondering though if it will be much different to the AM3E. I think the limitation will be the Q5S in that regard. I tried briefly with a Pico Power using the line out and didn't notice any difference from using the AM3E. I'm going to try a few combinations of headphones, IEMs and amps to see what I can figure out.

And he later posted this. So as far as sound quality goes, I guess Q5S would be perhaps highest sound quality that could be achieved in a device of that size.

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #878 of 3,226
Sweet, the Bluetooth is excellent I find. How are you finding the sound quality using Bluetooth?

Can only give you a good review after i use it for a few days as its only fair to do so

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #880 of 3,226
Sweet, the Bluetooth is excellent I find. How are you finding the sound quality using Bluetooth?

Can only give you a good review after i use it for a few days as its only fair to do so

I am excited about its LDAC codec capability. Having 32/96 quality LDAC stream makes a big difference. I already have Sony WM1A, which connects through LDAC and upcoming Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (No headphone out) supports it too. It is nice to have a device, which connects wireless, when you don't want clutter of cables specially you are on the go to play lossless FLAC music up to the quality of 32/96. I do not care much about DSD as I can not discern much difference of sound quality specially on the move! (-:
In fact LDAC Bluetooth was one of the main reasons, I choose it as my mobile DAC/AMP combo though I already have excellent IFI IDSD BL.

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #881 of 3,226
Ok, have some time now and I have swapped the THX AAA module (AM3D) for the stock module so time for some listening. This is an FYI, I did find the screws much more difficult to remove from the AM3E than I did when I had to remove the stock Q5 module. One of the screw heads basically became so damaged that it will have to be replaced. Now there is always some user factors, but I have dealt with stuff like this all my life and I suspect that the screws being used to affix the module onto the Q5s might be softer so a word of caution to those swapping modules.

I could be wrong and it might have been me, but I found it less easy to get the screw head into the slot with the Q5s than it was with the Q5. It might have been a one off, but worth mentioning so that others avoid possible problems. Again, I am not stating as fact that there are any differences in the screws, but I always believe in disclosure of even possible issues.

Anyway, the THX AAA module is on, looks really nice so it is time to hear some music.

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #882 of 3,226
Has anyone been able to connect to their Q5S with the FiiO app? When I try connecting, I select the BT Control option, then click to connect, the Q5S setting screen briefly slides to the left but then quickly slides back to the right and disappears. This is on an iPhone with the latest app version.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #884 of 3,226
And he later posted this. So as far as sound quality goes, I guess Q5S would be perhaps highest sound quality that could be achieved in a device of that size.

Note that these are only preliminary impressions. Something to consider as well is that a Q5S + AM3D is considerably more expensive than a Q5S alone, so even if the D is better to some degree than the E, it pushes the price into a territory where the features of the Q5S make it worthwhile.

So far though, stock Q5S (with AM3E included) to me sounds significantly better than the stock Q5 (with AM3A included). Most, if not all of that improvement seems to be from the AM3E from my initial listening.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #885 of 3,226
Oops! I meant to type AM3E!
Is this the module that has the THX on it everyone has been waiting for? If I win, I won't purchase that Monolith Portable with the THX on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back