[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #901 of 3,226
I use a DAP to conserve battery life on my phone, as well as give me the flexibility of having music but without carrying anything but my Apple Watch. The M11 delivers more power and has WiFi for Deezer and streaming, which the Sony NW-ZX300 does not.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #902 of 3,226
I use a DAP to conserve battery life on my phone, as well as give me the flexibility of having music but without carrying anything but my Apple Watch. The M11 delivers more power and has WiFi for Deezer and streaming, which the Sony NW-ZX300 does not.
I don’t miss having Wi-Fi in the Sony NW-ZX300 - as I don’t use any streaming sites - much prefer building up extensive FLAC file collections. It has ample power via balanced out, plus its’ bluetooth receiver pairs easily with DAP’s & iPad Air 3 - with zero latency & sounds awesome imo!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #905 of 3,226
@bgtip is this what you're asking for?

So far most people, who owned Q5 do not see very significant step up in SQ if you read user opinions. Currawong thinks, whatever the positive changes he hears, may be due to improvements in amp section, when he used line out. Even for AM3D, most people who got them, think the improvements are subtle.
The thinking behind THX AAA amping could be found here. However the improvements on paper does not translate proportionately to real world performance. Some even say THX amps are very analytical and dry for their distortion-less transparency. DROP THX AAA 789 AMPLIFIER+ has very good reviews as a transparent amp but not a portable solution.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #906 of 3,226
How does charging work with the Q5s now that there's only one port on the unit?

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #907 of 3,226
Aug 4, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #909 of 3,226
So far most people, who owned Q5 do not see very significant step up in SQ if you read user opinions. Currawong thinks, whatever the positive changes he hears, may be due to improvements in amp section, when he used line out. Even for AM3D, most people who got them, think the improvements are subtle.
The thinking behind THX AAA amping could be found here. However the improvements on paper does not translate proportionately to real world performance. Some even say THX amps are very analytical and dry for their distortion-less transparency. DROP THX AAA 789 AMPLIFIER+ has very good reviews as a transparent amp but not a portable solution.
Depending on 'phones that might be more or less subtle. The Fearless S8 Pros I had would show clearly noticeable changes from cable swaps in a way I've never seen from any other 'phones. I imagine amping will be similarly variable, though source dependant as well- some sources are more bottlenecked by amping than others.

Aug 5, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #910 of 3,226
This player sounds interesting. Have Frio overcome the software issues of the older models (X5iii, etc.)?

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #911 of 3,226
Hey. Just wondering, how is the noise/hiss with sensitive IEMs with the Q5s in balanced? Thanks.

I'm using Shure 846 with 4.4mm balanced 8 strand cable and don't hear any hiss at all with normal volume levels (around 50% being my max).

Can I assume that the EQ and other settings applied in the FiiO app are stored on the Q5s and operate even when using iTunes app or any other player (like the ES100 does)? None of the 3rd party apps seem capable of syncing fully with my iTunes library and certainly they cannot play streamed albums in Apple Music so I end up just sticking with iTunes.

One observation I have noticed is that if put in a bag or pocket using the mesh bag the unit gets very hot. Holding in the hand it remains cool, or barely warm. Can anyone offer any explanations for that?

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #912 of 3,226
This player sounds interesting. Have Frio overcome the software issues of the older models (X5iii, etc.)?
Apart from the fact that this is a DAC/AMP and not a player and "Frio" might be a snacks company :grin: I guess the new players like the M11 are better in the software dept. Better to ask in the M11 thread.

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #913 of 3,226
I'm using Shure 846 with 4.4mm balanced 8 strand cable and don't hear any hiss at all with normal volume levels (around 50% being my max).

Can I assume that the EQ and other settings applied in the FiiO app are stored on the Q5s and operate even when using iTunes app or any other player (like the ES100 does)? None of the 3rd party apps seem capable of syncing fully with my iTunes library and certainly they cannot play streamed albums in Apple Music so I end up just sticking with iTunes.

One observation I have noticed is that if put in a bag or pocket using the mesh bag the unit gets very hot. Holding in the hand it remains cool, or barely warm. Can anyone offer any explanations for that?

Yes, the settings are stored inside the unit and always operate, they are only accessed via the FiiO app.
The mesh bag is meant for storage or transportation with the unit turned off. Of course it will heat more if you block heat dissipation. If you want protection during use it is better to use the leather case which has more open spaces.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #914 of 3,226
Helps to do my homework first doesn't it. :face_palm:

Wow, Auto Correct is out to get me. FIIO. Haha.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #915 of 3,226
Fast update...

For portable on the go usage:

IPHONE X Bluetooth > Q5S Balanced 2.2mm Out > Campfire Andromeda

I prefer Bluetooth connection to wired as wires are SUPER ANNOYING.
Imagine carrying a Phone plus Q5S in a bundle with cables inbetween. To me that is just a big NO NO as when i travel i'm pretty
rough with my gears.
So with Q5S my Phone is TOTALLY free from wires and at the same time having the audio fidelity to drive my Campfire Andromeda and that beats having a separate DAP!

Will compare it to my other gears tomorrow, right now i'm really happy to own it as my Campfire Andromeda is finally portable again!

Seriously. Come Hell or High Water, wired components will ALWAYS sound the best! So take away my headphone jack, make any source device as thin as a credit card, fine, but I will ALWAYS prefer USB-C (or USB to whatever) OTG to route my audio. Unfiltered as possible in true 32 or 64bit to my ears.192 gHz or 320 gHz, fine.The facts are in, they've been in, for quite some time now, sq is truly best enjoyed unfiltered and direct. True separation, wide soundstage, quiet noise floor, airiness, blackest background and many more wired attributes can be unaltered for many reasons. There is absolute truth regarding why cerain DAP's do not allow the user to change settings for MQA and other high bit perfect sources. Heck, to argue that the artist wants his/her music to be played back as THEY INTENDED IT TO BE.
And that's my audiophile proven take on playback. Not SUPER ANNOYING, just factual. Plug source A in to playback device B. Maybe an additional amp aling the way too. That's it, your done. Is that really SUPER ANNOYING? I think not. Managing a quality bluetooth LDAC or at the very least an AptX connection, recharging batteries, syncing, sorting, syncing again and adjusting. That's SUPER ANNOYING. Not a simple balanced cable from point A to B. I really enjoy my audio to sound as close to that as the artist intended. Is that really asking for too much? I don't think so.
Full disclosure: I love my modern-day crap-mastered EDM and pop tracks. Yeah, maybe the big part is the storage consumption quandary. I feel like I'd be missing out on quality if I didn't go at very least 320kbps, but at that storage cost, it's hard. As much as Linus loves his blanket himself does, but it doesn't mean we can't also appreciate real music mastered back in the days when you had to listen for the faint sound of the strings in a hard rock song just to enjoy them.

Perhaps the bigger issue is the storage consumption. I feel like I'd be missing out on quality if I didn't go 320kbps but at that storage cost, it can be hard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back