[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 17, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,426 of 3,226
Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere. A major plus for me is the lack of any audio video sync issues in YT and Netflix.
Sync issues would be on software side of things, I think, because I've never ran into sync issues with the various portable DACs I've tried.

Aug 17, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,427 of 3,226
Sync issues would be on software side of things, I think, because I've never ran into sync issues with the various portable DACs I've tried.

Tons of daps have sync issues in dac mode when it comes to watching video, like youtube and Netflix. Sometimes the delay can be jarring, but this amp uses xmos, and fpga for desktop processing so you're not going to get those soc delays.

Aug 17, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #1,429 of 3,226
Usability impressions:

I do like the Q5S, its very versatile, but my main need in a portable AMP/DAC is huge on the portable side.

My laptop has horrendous 3.5mm out so I've been using some miniture products and the E10K suited my need for a while until its analog potentiometer got noisy (im too lazy to take it apart and clean it). The Q5S is a thicc boi for taking into bed and using with my small 14" laptop.

I kinda wish FiiO had some custom engraving options available for a price like Vmoda does. The front of the Q5S looks like the perfect spot to put some coolio designs.

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,430 of 3,226
Usability impressions:

I do like the Q5S, its very versatile, but my main need in a portable AMP/DAC is huge on the portable side.

My laptop has horrendous 3.5mm out so I've been using some miniture products and the E10K suited my need for a while until its analog potentiometer got noisy (im too lazy to take it apart and clean it). The Q5S is a thicc boi for taking into bed and using with my small 14" laptop.

I kinda wish FiiO had some custom engraving options available for a price like Vmoda does. The front of the Q5S looks like the perfect spot to put some coolio designs.

Why didn't you just get the Q1 mkii? A lot smaller than Q5s and still an upgrade from E10.

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,431 of 3,226
Why didn't you just get the Q1 mkii? A lot smaller than Q5s and still an upgrade from E10.

The Q5S is here for a review :beerchug:

It's a great stackable unit. Part of its size is that it is indeed more technical advanced than something like a Q1. It's packed with features and needs to be taken on the go hence its size and battery.

Just giving my own usecase scenario.

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,432 of 3,226

It's a great stackable unit. Part of its size is that it is indeed more technical advanced than something like a Q1. It's packed with features and needs to be taken on the go hence its size and battery.

Ahh, my bad. :)

Aug 17, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,433 of 3,226
Just ordered the DD case from Ali Express

This things a keeper, so case time. :)
Is it possible to attach a neck lanyard to this case?

Aug 17, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #1,435 of 3,226
Just ordered the DD case from Ali Express

This things a keeper, so case time. :)

Mine is on the way. Should be getting it in few days time

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #1,437 of 3,226
Apparently Q5s uses the same PC driver as my K3 so I haven't reinstalled it. FiiO Control Panel shows it as Q5. However I can't find the option to change the L/R balance which is present on K3 with the same driver.
I tend to change L/R balance quite a lot. How can I do it with Q5s?
Is it a lot difference in sound quality between K3 and Q5s?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #1,438 of 3,226
Any comparison between the Q5s and iFi xDSD?

I did a quick one now. Short answer: The xDSD is a bit more "musical" and the Q5s more what I'd describe as "smooth and even". Couldn't pick one as being more detailed with a level-matched comparison. Both were connected via coax to an M11.

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #1,439 of 3,226
I did a quick one now. Short answer: The xDSD is a bit more "musical" and the Q5s more what I'd describe as "smooth and even". Couldn't pick one as being more detailed with a level-matched comparison. Both were connected via coax to an M11.

Is that was Stock AMP on the Q5s or THX AAA AMP?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back