[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 19, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #1,456 of 3,226
As others, I set the phone Bluetooth volume to max and only use the Q5 volume.
Yes, that is exactly how it should be used. Main reason is that setting down volume on Android side is in digital domain - it means resolution is decreased before encoding for BT. When volume max there is full resolution used for encoding - full quality.

I will use it as PC DAC only.
Question is if Q5s portable dac is good solution if used ONLY as a PC dac. Reason is battery. When connected to PC it is charged and after full charge it is trickle charged with small current. In longer term without discharging it can shorten battery life significantly. There is switch in FiioApp which can disable charging but it does not work currently.

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,457 of 3,226
I honestly don't think the battery would be hard to change at all. I'm sure there are screws under the rubber backing, and the battery is right near the top.

Just need the right driver and some rubber cement and some rudimentary soldering skills. Unless the battery is connected by a flexible flat cable then you just snap :wink:

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #1,458 of 3,226
Just to add my 2c to the discussion, 'cause I also use it as a PC DAC/amp too. The solution, for me, is optical. Unless you want crazy high bitrate/sample rate/DSD or whatever, for normal listening, optical should be more than enough and it doesn't charge your battery all the time. I do wish Fiio had included a charge switch to the Q5s like on the Q1, or even a second USB port like on the Q5, but there's ways to make this work fine.

With that said, I have trouble with using it with optical in. There's pauses, the sound cuts out for a split second sometimes. Dropping it down to 24/96 from 24/192 seems to solve it, so I dunno. I'm pretty sure that the Q5s worked fine on my TV, so I think the problem here is my PC. Oh well, that's going away soon anyway.

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,459 of 3,226
24/192 is generally NOT supported on optical connection. Fiio spec says max. 24/96.

I would say battery replacement is not so big problem. Problem is to get the right battery. I have asked already Fiio about it and some other things but until now there is no answer.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #1,460 of 3,226
24/192 is generally NOT supported on optical connection. Fiio spec says max. 24/96.

I would say battery replacement is not so big problem. Problem is to get the right battery. I have asked already Fiio about it and some other things but until now there is no answer.

Fiio is usually good with replacing/selling batteries. I wager something like this would work

Screenshot_20190819-101502_Chrome.jpg

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,461 of 3,226
Are you sure this is for Q5? Can you give us a link to Ebay or Ali? How is the correct battery defined? Some number? Is it original or something else?

Once I bought some high capacity chinese battery for my camera. At one moment it exploded when travelling in car. Lot of white smoke, 1000$ camera burned. So i am a bit carefull about chinese batteries.

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #1,462 of 3,226
Hi all! I am either selling or downgrading most of my portables and headphones (and investing in desktop/speaker system), and I am interested in replacing my A&K KANN Cube with a Q5s (+AM3D if possible). I am in EU and if your are up for a trade with A&K KANN Cube (within EU), let me know.

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,463 of 3,226
Just to add my 2c to the discussion, 'cause I also use it as a PC DAC/amp too. The solution, for me, is optical. Unless you want crazy high bitrate/sample rate/DSD or whatever, for normal listening, optical should be more than enough and it doesn't charge your battery all the time. I do wish Fiio had included a charge switch to the Q5s like on the Q1, or even a second USB port like on the Q5, but there's ways to make this work fine.

With that said, I have trouble with using it with optical in. There's pauses, the sound cuts out for a split second sometimes. Dropping it down to 24/96 from 24/192 seems to solve it, so I dunno. I'm pretty sure that the Q5s worked fine on my TV, so I think the problem here is my PC. Oh well, that's going away soon anyway.
That's brilliant, but how to output optical from a laptop?

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #1,464 of 3,226
Are you sure this is for Q5? Can you give us a link to Ebay or Ali? How is the correct battery defined? Some number? Is it original or something else?

Once I bought some high capacity chinese battery for my camera. At one moment it exploded when travelling in car. Lot of white smoke, 1000$ camera burned. So i am a bit carefull about chinese batteries.

No I'm not 100% sure, we can find out from Fiio though. And I am sure it will be able to be purchased. I don't know if it would fit 100% I just pulled something quick

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,465 of 3,226
Question is if Q5s portable dac is good solution if used ONLY as a PC dac. Reason is battery. When connected to PC it is charged and after full charge it is trickle charged with small current. In longer term without discharging it can shorten battery life significantly. There is switch in FiioApp which can disable charging but it does not work currently.
Thank you very much for information. This is very useful.

I honestly don't think the battery would be hard to change at all. I'm sure there are screws under the rubber backing, and the battery is right near the top.
Just need the right driver and some rubber cement and some rudimentary soldering skills. Unless the battery is connected by a flexible flat cable then you just snap :wink:
Thank you very much. I also think that it not hard to replace but I am a lazy man :laughing:

How about the new K5pro? Not sure if it is released. Since u r using only for pc, mayb k5 or k5pro is an option for u.
Thank you very much. K5 and K5 Pro require power supply and don't have balance output. I already have desktop DAC but want another small DAC that use power from USB computer port (like K3) for using at working day.

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,466 of 3,226
... When connected to PC it is charged and after full charge it is trickle charged with small current. In longer term without discharging it can shorten battery life significantly. There is switch in FiioApp which can disable charging but it does not work currently.
I could be incorrect here, but my belief is that if the Q5s is turned on before you hook up via USB, it runs completely from it's own battery. I hope that I am correct, if not I am sure somebody who has explored this issue more in-depth than I have will correct me.

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #1,467 of 3,226
Thanks for input.

I'm really want to buy Q5s. But, I will use it as PC DAC only. I reluctance to buy DAC/AMP with built-in battery. Because if battery fail, I have to replace it. K3 will not have this issue since it use power supply from computer USB port.

Keep using K3 or change to Q5s, very hard to make a decision. :confused:

If you are going to use it only as a desktop/pc DAC/AMP I would rather look elsewhere, unless you plan to use it in balanced mode only or are really interested on the AMP module thing. I think that for the money you can get a really nice desktop amp/dac like Topping DX3 pro and then buy a powerful amp like JDS Atom. My NX4 which is also portable/battery operated has a more powerful unbalanced output and to my ears the bass boost sound better and is half the cost of the Fiio. The Q5s of course has bluetooth, optical/coax inputs and the amp module can be changed (even though, those are expensive).

I think that my main usage of the Q5s would be bluetooth from my smartphone to IEMs and maybe some over ear headphones with balanced cables (HD600 and HE400i). If you don't have any balanced cables, those are 50 bucks approx. each, unless you have the skills to make one, still the pentacon connector would not be cheap and I would rather not use the more common and cheaper 2.5 mm connector. Just to keep in mind.

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,468 of 3,226
If you are going to use it only as a desktop/pc DAC/AMP I would rather look elsewhere, unless you plan to use it in balanced mode only or are really interested on the AMP module thing. I think that for the money you can get a really nice desktop amp/dac like Topping DX3 pro and then buy a powerful amp like JDS Atom. My NX4 which is also portable/battery operated has a more powerful unbalanced output and to my ears the bass boost sound better and is half the cost of the Fiio. The Q5s of course has bluetooth, optical/coax inputs and the amp module can be changed (even though, those are expensive).

I think that my main usage of the Q5s would be bluetooth from my smartphone to IEMs and maybe some over ear headphones with balanced cables (HD600 and HE400i). If you don't have any balanced cables, those are 50 bucks approx. each, unless you have the skills to make one, still the pentacon connector would not be cheap and I would rather not use the more common and cheaper 2.5 mm connector. Just to keep in mind.
Thanks again for your suggestion, appreciate this.

My requirement are
1. Combine DAC/AMP in compact size like power bank or cell phone
2. Not require power supply cable. Just one usb cable to connect to computer. (don't like desktop size and lot of wires)
3. Must have DSD native.
4. Headphones balance output only. (don't need all other outputs)
It very hard to find equipment that meet my requirements. Until now I only find FiiO K3. But its SQ is not good at all.

Aug 19, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,469 of 3,226
It very hard to find equipment that meet my requirements. Until now I only find FiiO K3. But its SQ is not good at all.
I wouldn't say K3's sound quality is not good at all. It's just not as good as Q5s but it's good enough to enjoy it for everyday listening. I've had it for months and I am happy with it. And I intend to keep my K3 as a backup device. Also it's cheap.

Aug 19, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #1,470 of 3,226
Well, that explains it. My PC can output 24/192 from its optical out, so I assumed that the Q5s could do it too. Well, 24/96 is more than good enough, considering that I don't even have anything that's of higher bit depth or sample rate. Not only can I use the Q5s as a desktop amp without it charging, but I can also use it without awkward cable placement. Input on the back, output on the front. Done. Love it.
That's brilliant, but how to output optical from a laptop?
That I can't really help you with. But I'm quite sure that I've seen USB to SPDIF adapters around, so there's no harm in looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back