FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #2,341 of 3,173
Took delivery of a Q5 this morning, went through the firmware upgrade rigmarole (no real issues). Seems like a nice device, haven't tried the USB input as yet, bluetooth output seems ok but lacking depth at lower volumes, may just need to experiment with levels at each end. Only running it into my old HD280's at the moment, will try it with the PM-3's when I get home. Have ordered the mUSB -> USB-C cable so i can give it a decent go over USB. Good to see it's reporting Apt-X connection on the Note 8.

Aug 9, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #2,343 of 3,173
Aug 9, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #2,346 of 3,173
FWIW - I tried hooking my Note 8 to the Q5 using a mUSB-->USB-C cable that I had laying around and it definitely defaults to "Phone charges external device". Any attempt to change the charging mode causes the devices to disconnect, so just selecting "device charges phone" or "file system" won't work, it looks like it definitely is necessary to purchase the appropriate cable in order to stop the phone battery being rapidly depleted when connected via USB.

It's occurred to me to try switching the USB ports on the Q5 and see if the behaviour is consistant when hooked up to the side port, but as the Q5 doesn't support being used as a portable battery pack, I don't see why it'd behave differently.

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #2,347 of 3,173
FWIW - I tried hooking my Note 8 to the Q5 using a mUSB-->USB-C cable that I had laying around and it definitely defaults to "Phone charges external device". Any attempt to change the charging mode causes the devices to disconnect, so just selecting "device charges phone" or "file system" won't work, it looks like it definitely is necessary to purchase the appropriate cable in order to stop the phone battery being rapidly depleted when connected via USB.

It's occurred to me to try switching the USB ports on the Q5 and see if the behaviour is consistant when hooked up to the side port, but as the Q5 doesn't support being used as a portable battery pack, I don't see why it'd behave differently.
Dear friend,

The issue you mentioned would happen as well after switching the usb ports using the FiiO Music?
You may try our CL06 for help instead.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 10, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #2,348 of 3,173
Developer options
So when I go to developer options after the Q5 has connected with my phone the codec that always is shown being used is AAC. I can then select aptX, but I doubt it uses that codec as the connection has been made. Are you saying that the default codec your G6 connects to the Q5, without any selecting on your part is aptX? If so, would you mind telling me what version and build of Oreo you have? I can't imagine what would be different with my G6 unless you are somewhere in Europe or Asia for instance where maybe there could be a hardware difference? As far as I can tell my G6 running Oreo can't go from aptX HD to just aptX, it can't seem to make the change so it then establishes an AAC connection. My G6 also does this with an aptX enabled headphone, but when I had a B&W PX headphone, it connected with aptX HD no problem and the same when it connected to a Bluewave Get headphone amp. Rather annoying.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #2,350 of 3,173
Really thinking of buying this for my 128gb ipod touch6th gen, with all Tidal HiFi. Seems like the perfect combo!
Wouldn't a smartphone be a better choice over an iPod? I'm curious why you would opt to use an iPod instead as ultimately it is just a transport right? I'm sure you have your reasons, I'm just curious is all.

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #2,351 of 3,173
Wouldn't a smartphone be a better choice over an iPod? I'm curious why you would opt to use an iPod instead as ultimately it is just a transport right? I'm sure you have your reasons, I'm just curious is all.
I try to use my phone as a phone and sometimes with my Bluetooth headphones. The ipod would be kept with the Q5 as a rig.

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #2,352 of 3,173
I try to use my phone as a phone and sometimes with my Bluetooth headphones. The ipod would be kept with the Q5 as a rig.
Gotcha, makes sense.

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #2,353 of 3,173
Got my Q5 today.
Connected to PC windows 10, download and install USB driver.
Run foobar2000, play dsd file, dsd light is on.
Everything is smooth no issue at all.
Will try bluetooth later,
So far, with Z1R, it sounds good - really good.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #2,355 of 3,173
So I’ve had my Q5 for a little over a month now, and I am so annoyed by their indicator lights. They are completely useless when using outdoors because it’s so dim that you can’t tell if it’s on or off. I didn’t think such a minor thing would be an issue but it really is when I use it outdoors a lot. So frustrating that this thing was near perfect for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back