FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Aug 3, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #2,326 of 3,173
I dont understand this, some people says that will drain while playing and others dont.
Most of the time ill be playing DSD 2.8 / 5.6 and FLAC 24/192.

Currently my port using a USB 2.0 device will charge between 511mAh - 968mAh depending on the usage (Those results corresponds to an iPad 9.7 at 100% Brightness and 20% respectively).
Will this be enough or im gonna be using the battery?

To round up I'm still wondering if the Q5 will match my FH5 and about the SQ still dont have a clue.

Short answer - manual clearly states "recommend to use 5V 2A charger." My experience confirms this.

Long answer - There are several variables in play on whether your particular setup will be able to play+ charge infinitely. I just did a simple test - left the Q5 plugged into an Apple iPhone charger which specs at 5W max (5V, 1A) playing all day. Sometime around 20+ hrs, it turned off. I repeated this twice. Swapped charger to a 12W model and Q5 ran for 4 days and battery was 100% when I manually turned it off. I was burning in during this time so connected the Q5 output to a 10K load and volume was at 80% max. Music tracks were an equal mix of 44/16, 96/24, and 192/24 ALAC in random loops.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,327 of 3,173

I actually have the short OTG micro B cable for my Mojo, and it works well for Q5. I did a test comparing 2 different USB cables for connecting Android smartphone to Q5, and it proves that using the right cable will reduce the smartphone battery draining cause by Q5 battery charging.
Here is the test:

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #2,328 of 3,173
I ordered my Q5 ! Should receive it Tuesday / Wednesday.

Regarding SQ, any thoughts about the AM3A vs AM3B module? Some people says theres no difference, others that the AM3B its deeper and warmer.

If I get it, I'd be using it with the BL44 adapter, doesnt this one breaks the purpose of whatever aftermarket cable you chose in the past, or is it rather transparent as they claim?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #2,329 of 3,173
I ordered my Q5 ! Should receive it Tuesday / Wednesday.

Regarding SQ, any thoughts about the AM3A vs AM3B module? Some people says theres no difference, others that the AM3B its deeper and warmer.

If I get it, I'd be using it with the BL44 adapter, doesnt this one breaks the purpose of whatever aftermarket cable you chose in the past, or is it rather transparent as they claim?

Thanks !

AM3B is considerably warmer and bassier than AM3A. The adapter is very good, no worries about it.

If you prefer a warm , heavy , thick bottom end, then AM3B is a really good AMP module. It doesn't take away much sparkle from the treble, which is nice, but it is pretty darn warm.

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,330 of 3,173
AM3B is considerably warmer and bassier than AM3A. The adapter is very good, no worries about it.

If you prefer a warm , heavy , thick bottom end, then AM3B is a really good AMP module. It doesn't take away much sparkle from the treble, which is nice, but it is pretty darn warm.

Thanks so so much! :)
Tomorrow ill test the Q5 and I will try to imagine how it would be in comparison.

Aug 5, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #2,331 of 3,173
Thanks so so much! :)
Tomorrow ill test the Q5 and I will try to imagine how it would be in comparison.
Great to hear you opted to try the Q5. I can't imagine that you'll regret that decision. Look forward to your impressions.

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #2,332 of 3,173
Just ordered one of these to get something more powerful than my ES100 for portable use around house/office. Can’t wait!
Be sure to post your impressions here after you receive the Q5. I simply love the combination of Q5 with my Pioneer SE Monitor 5 driven via the balanced out of the AM3A module. The results are so good that while I want to try another amp module I hesitate as the AM3A seems to be driving the Pioneer so darn well so not sure what would improve? I wonder if there is another amp module with a different enough sound signature that also features great channel separation?

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #2,333 of 3,173

From your review, I feel that the AM3A its closer to my general taste, although I dont know if the warmthness you do describe relating to the AM3B its the enough quantity, lets say like "vinyl sound" or goes beyond that mark?

Great to hear you opted to try the Q5. I can't imagine that you'll regret that decision. Look forward to your impressions.

You got it :)

Really, thanks everyone who helped me out here clearing my doubts and answering my questions, couldn't be happier about that.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #2,334 of 3,173
From your review, I feel that the AM3A its closer to my general taste, although I dont know if the warmthness you do describe relating to the AM3B its the enough quantity, lets say like "vinyl sound" or goes beyond that mark?

You got it :)

Really, thanks everyone who helped me out here clearing my doubts and answering my questions, couldn't be happier about that.

For being closer to a Vinyl sound, AM3B, for being closer to a live experience, AM3A :)

The idea is that in most cases, live concerts are not as warm toned as a vinyl typically is, AM3A works better for getting that live excitement a live concert has, while AM3B is better for getting that warmth and thickness a vinyl tipically has

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #2,335 of 3,173
it is just me or anyone else found LG G6 bluetooth implementation is downgrading image quality when paired to q5? it sound peaky and edgy in the SE and sound hot and less body in the balanced output. But when i switched to other devices, like ipod, sony A-25 and A-30, laptop (cable) the Q5 sound super fabulous. I used akg n40 for this test.

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #2,336 of 3,173
You may want to enable developer options and go and see what codec is being used to connect by default. It is possible that it is connecting with SBC which may explain what you are hearing. Not sure, but believe me, you need to check. This assumes that you have Oreo.

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #2,337 of 3,173
it is just me or anyone else found LG G6 bluetooth implementation is downgrading image quality when paired to q5? it sound peaky and edgy in the SE and sound hot and less body in the balanced output. But when i switched to other devices, like ipod, sony A-25 and A-30, laptop (cable) the Q5 sound super fabulous. I used akg n40 for this test.
Didnt have that issue with my g6 running aptx

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #2,338 of 3,173

Yes, something like an inferior codec is being used, this explains what you're hearing

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #2,339 of 3,173
Didnt have that issue with my g6 running aptx
Are you sure? How do you know that it is connecting via aptX? My Q5 and G6 can only connect by AAC and it is the G6 at fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back